• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Birdie Distance for 1000 rated pro

How far away in a flat open field do 1000 rated pros ROUTINELY park within 10m?

• Total voters
This amazes me

Chuck has facts

Many of us have witnessed or play with 1000 rated guys

Still people insist a 1000 rated guy will park from 400+ most of the time

Yup...

Those numbers seem too low...34% on a 310ft hole is just off IMO

I think anywhere from 350-400 should be a gimme for a top pro
The discussion here is not about top pros but "regular" pros in the 975-1025 range. Super pros 1025+ have better stats as you might expect.

The discussion here is not about top pros but "regular" pros in the 975-1025 range. Super pros 1025+ have better stats as you might expect.

And of course the results are skewed since you use a 50 point range. I would not expect the 975 guy to get a birdie on the 400ft hole nearly as much as the 1000 rated guy.

well for an "average" pro I would say 300-350' should be pretty easy, but I still think most pros can birdie 400' holes

You have to know what the true par is on each hole to calculate those stats.

Par would only be relevant to the player ratings, right? But, if you only want to know how many putts were hit from inside 10m, then par does not matter. As for the OP, the % of drives parked within 10m could be calculated regardless of player rating also.

I voted for 350 btw. I have a hard time believing (even though your stats say otherwise Chuck) that a 1000 rated player could not birdie that hole most of the time.

It has to be longer than 250 if you really are talking about wide open. The average/typical hole is not wide open. I would say more like 325 wide open should be an absolute gimmie for a 1000+ rated pro.

You have to know par on holes to calculate stats like: Greens in Regulation; Birdie, Par and Bogey percentages; Recovery Saves; Bounceback percentage and several more.

It has to be longer than 250 if you really are talking about wide open. The average/typical hole is not wide open. I would say more like 325 wide open should be an absolute gimmie for a 1000+ rated pro.

Very close to a gimme......

I don't think 400ft wide open is a gimme....just an expected birdie...7 out of 10 would be a close putt...probably miss 1...but make a 40fter as well.

Scoot_er - And of course the results are skewed since you use a 50 point range. I would not expect the 975 guy to get a birdie on the 400ft hole nearly as much as the 1000 rated guy.
The results are not skewed because the 1025 guys are in the range also. If you got 20 1000-rated players and 20 ranging from 975 to 1025 who average 1000, you would expect the same birdie percentage.

The results are not skewed because the 1025 guys are in the range also. If you got 20 1000-rated players and 20 ranging from 975 to 1025 who average 1000, you would expect the same birdie percentage.

a lot less 1025 players than 975.......

Not in the stats I was pulling from. The Worlds hole stats I was using had more players over 1000 than under 1000 and averaged anywhere from 1000 to 1005 which I normalized to 1000.

Not in the stats I was pulling from. The Worlds hole stats I was using had more players over 1000 than under 1000 and averaged anywhere from 1000 to 1005 which I normalized to 1000.

So where are the 100% open worlds holes?....We didn't even have those at 02' Worlds in Houston.....or 07' in Highbridge, or 09' in KC.....

Granite holes 11 and 15, Oakwood hole 17 were some of them. Maybe not 100% open but close enough.

I haven't played the course, but it seems like the long hole 19 at Arboretum seems like a good example of this hole. It's 390ft, and pretty wide open.

How often would a 1000 rated player duece it?

Mike C got a 2 with an Ion in one of his videos.

Maybe someone who's more capable could post a pic of the hole.

Hole 11 at Fountain Hills is also a good example. 390ft, and virtually no obstacles.

Granite holes 11 and 15, Oakwood hole 17 were some of them. Maybe not 100% open but close enough.

Was 11 not an uphill shot?.....and wasn't 15 the 420ish shot that was open until about 7ft from the basket?....the one with ob circle ponds short or the pin?

I have a hard time remembering the hole numbers....especially since I played both the original and worlds layout.

Just looked at the hole info on here and it doesn't match up....16 was 445 though....but the others are listed as much shorter

Last edited:
Define "pro".

If anyone playing the cathegory called "pro" : on average ? maybe 300 feet max.

If players that can make a living from playing : i'd say 450.

ummm

I asked for 1000 rated pro...thats pretty specific isnt it?

I asked for a drive to land within the 10m circle....thats pretty specific isnt it?

I asked for routinely.....perhaps,thats where my query falls apart....I define routinely as expected. Routine is what's expected it isnt a hot round or a great shot it's what's expected by most players of a certain skill level to be able to do.

Because you have confidence that you can do it or because you have done it means nothing to me....I want to know that you should do it every time...that's routine...not that it is possible....not that you can do it....that you will do it and when you don't you feel as though you messed up that drive badly.

I asked for 1000 rated pro...thats .

Last edited:
ummm

I asked for 1000 rated pro...thats pretty specific isnt it?

I asked for a drive to land within the 10m circle....thats pretty specific isnt it?

I asked for routinely.....

400 feet for 1000 rated would be frequently placed within 10m, but it would not be routine. (IMHO of course)

(sorry for the double post)