• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Birdie Distance for 1000 rated pro

How far away in a flat open field do 1000 rated pros ROUTINELY park within 10m?

• Total voters
Have an NT on a course that is all Identical 400ft wide open holes and someone will shoot -14 or so....

1000 rated round would probably end up -8 or so.

Have an NT on a course that is all Identical 400ft wide open holes and someone will shoot -14 or so....

1000 rated round would probably end up -8 or so.

-8 would be less than 50% so not routine
I think the true limit of routine birdie D is somewhere around 300ish for 1000 rated players

For quite some time, I've thought a "good" shot would get you 90% towards the basket.
So for a 270' hole, I hope to be within 27' of the basket, and within 30' on a 300 foot hole. I would expect a pro to be able to do that fairly consistently, and maybe even out as far as 350' on a flat, open hole. And I would think that a good Pro should realistically expect to hit an unobstructed, 30' putt pretty consistently.

Using the DGCD Hole Forecaster for gold level on flat, 100% open hole:
300 feet = 53% birdies
325 feet = 47% birdies
350 feet = 40% birdies
375 feet = 37% birdies
400 feet = 27% birdies

300 feet = 53% birdies
325 feet = 47% birdies
350 feet = 40% birdies
375 feet = 37% birdies
400 feet = 27% birdies

Really Chuck?

300ft wide open is a putter shot for most of these guys and they would be within 30ft 8 out of ten times.....and make one of the ones that was 35ft away....

Gold starts at 970......so the numbers would likely tick up (although not far) when adjusted for the 1000 rated player only.

Also this depends on how far they throw....can't birdie many 400ft holes when you max at 350ft...you will..just not as often.

Next time I am on a card that gets all star birdies on a 400ft hole I will remind them of the #s

I average around 430' golf D......not wide open and am usually the 3rd farthest thrower on a card of 4.

Last edited:
300 feet = 53% birdies
325 feet = 47% birdies
350 feet = 40% birdies
375 feet = 37% birdies
400 feet = 27% birdies

I think these numbers may be close, but the dropoff is too much.

Had a 991 rated player travel 4 hours to play in my non-sanctioned event. He went -7 at the 390-400 average hole length wide open course and -8 at the 275-315 average hole length technical course during the event.

These numbers are close to actual tournament stats, not just estimates. Remember that these are design values that also incorporate a percentage of days when the course is windier.

I voted 400'. And I would almost say 500'. I'm only a 925 (should jump over 940 next update) player, and if I come up to a 400' wide open hole I expect myself to birdie it.

Not sure what field testing would accomplish. Why would you want to design a wide open hole that gold level deuces more than half the time? Ideally, you want to test this by getting scores on a hole during tournament play not just open field shots.

so you are an AM and get within 10m from 400 ft the majority of the time?

sketchy

Just because he expects to birdie it doesnt mean he does. Likewise, just because he can possibly throw 380-400 accurately (keep in mind were talking wide open holes) doesnt mean he putts well.

I feel the same way he does, if i were to play a hole like described, open, no wind or obstacles, i throw PD/Pred here pretty much always and expect to have a putt at the circle or inside of it

Checking back on some data I found a wide open hole at 390' with 30% birdies for 1000 average group. Two 246' holes with 56% and 62% birdies. A 264 at 49%. A 310' with 34%.

This amazes me

Chuck has facts

Many of us have witnessed or play with 1000 rated guys

Still people insist a 1000 rated guy will park from 400+ most of the time

See, this is why DG needs more stats. I want to be able to look up at Worlds, and see how many fairways Paul McBeth hit, how many putts he made in the circle, how many shots went OB...everything.

If we had the stats, the answer to this thread would already be well known.

I'm talking about stats for all tourneys. Or at least majors, and A-tiers. If we had stats on every player at the Memorial, we'd know who can throw what on a flat open hole, and how they dealt with the wind as well.

Obviously, it'd be nice, but it's not going to happen any time soon. I think we could at least see more information gathered for Worlds though.