• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Boston disc course?

shalomar

Boston proper needs a solid course. While I love Maple Hill and Borderlands and am willing to make the hour trek, how bout a course in Franklin Park in Jamaica Plain? Plenty of space and the city would go for it (after some bureaucratic hurdles). Who wants to build it?

Alright. (shrugs shoulders). Have fun with that.

That's one of the more amusing first posts.

Last edited:
I've driven by Franklin Park and wondered if there is space somewhere in there for a course.

That said, check out the NEFA forums. I don't think you're the first to consider a course in Boston, but it doesn't mean it can't be done.

Boston needs a course and Franklin Park would be amazing. I live just a few houses away from it and know it very well. But I think you are off on believing the city with "go for it."

After a lot of consideration and conversations I don't think that Franklin Park should be the target. There are to many organizations with a stake in conserving that park as it is.

Stony Brook Reservation is an alternative that offers more land, more underutilized land, and is managed by DCR who hosts Nantucket, Borderland, and Riverhead. Stony Brook Reservation was not designed by Olmstead and so there aren't a dozen organizations who want to leave it untouched.

It is still going to take a herculean effort to get a basket in the ground in this city. Probably very similar to what happened in the building of Golden Gate Park's course which took 8 years of sustained effort by a core group of dedicated volunteers.

Get things in order. Get the money together. I'll design and build it.
Ball's in your court, OP.

Thanks for the offer Highway Bill. I think we are only going to get one shot at this no matter where it is so having a great design for multiple abilities is going to be key.

A couple of weeks ago I played Lufbery Park in Wallingford CT. The terrain and topography reminded me a lot of the Wilderness section of Franklin Park which in addition to Scarborough Hill is a likely site for a course in Franklin Park.

As much as I would want to push for a pro to championship caliber 18 hole course right of the bat, I think designing and installing 9 in a way that can easily get us to 18--and get us from am tees to pro ones--would be the right approach.