• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bradley Williams Suspended

Given what we know, was the PDGA suspension of Bradley Williams correct?

• Yes, and the amount of time was correct.

Votes: 122 51.5%
  • Yes, but the amount of time was not correct.

Votes: 69 29.1%
  • No, the process was flawed.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • No, Bradley Williams should not have been suspended at all.

Votes: 16 6.8%

• Total voters
But how would touring pro be defined? One in the top 20/50/100? Someone holding a touring pro card? Then what happens if two players get in an altercation at an event. Touring pro gets 1 month, non-touring pro gets 6 months. Would that be fair?

Top 50 on the money list maybe? The PGA has requirements for a tour card...might be time for the PDGA to have a tour card.

Last edited:
But how would touring pro be defined? One in the top 20/50/100? Someone holding a touring pro card? Then what happens if two players get in an altercation at an event. Touring pro gets 1 month, non-touring pro gets 6 months. Would that be fair?

PDGA has already defined touring pro. Link

I'm aware of the list of touring pros. But would that same criteria be used to differentiate the type of sanctions imposed? And if you have two players at the same event with the same infraction and one gets a longer suspension than the other, you will hear the choruses of complaints about special treatment for the touring pro.

I'm aware of the list of touring pros. But would that same criteria be used to differentiate the type of sanctions imposed? And if you have two players at the same event with the same infraction and one gets a longer suspension than the other, you will hear the choruses of complaints about special treatment for the touring pro.

Not to mention if someone is treated differently because they are 1 spot out of the rankings or 3 ratings points below touring pro status.

Not a bad idea actually... like getting sent to the minors (C- and B-tiers) to work on your game (in this case, learning not to be a dickhead). You are definitely hitting him in the financial sense. DC could easily draft up some guidelines and use those to dole out the appropriate punishment.

TD's in the minors should not be expected to deal with dip****s any more than TD's in the big leagues.

I think McCray was quite a ways away from "verbally attacking" another player. Whiny, childlike....sure. Discussions can get contentious, and punitive intervention would not be called for.
BW made physical contact. That is inexcusable and is assault. That is a line that cannot be crossed. Shall we make certain assault OK, but make a grey line on what is too much? I think he got lucky with only 18 months. The PDGA CANNOT allow physical confrontations. I can't imagine having to deal with some adolescent putting their hands on me in aggression in a tournament.

Exactly

What would happen if a TD decided to let Bradley play, and forgo PDGA sanctioning? That would get interesting.

If we stipulate, for the sake of argument, that a different standard is in order for Touring Pros, because their living is at stake (McBeth's argument), or that a different level of public attention warrants a press release (Ultiworld's), then the definition of Touring Pro would be much tighter than the PDGA's current list.

Perhaps some combination of prize money earned (say, $20,000) and Major & NT events attended (say, 75%), and perhaps toss in recent Open Pro World Champions (for their fame). Numbers to be negotiated, of course. But it's a small number of people who are actually touring, not just playing regional events, and earning anything like a living at it.

TD's in the minors should not be expected to deal with dip****s any more than TD's in the big leagues.

Biscoe raises a salient point. A couple of things to consider. I think a touring pro card is of interest, define it by intent, you apply, or action, you played X number of events away from your state, or you took X amount of cash. That makes you a touring pro, here's your card.

In the event you act out at a B event after a suspension on your pro tour status, you default to local pro status and the standard sanction. You can hardly complain. And no, I don't agree with those that say BW is being mistreated, after three events, you've used up your karma.

I'm not selling any of this, just providing MB fodder for thought.

What would be interesting about it? It is undoubtedly going to occur repeatedly on the Southern National Tour if his suspension stands.

Outside the SN tour... That's going to be his bread and butter for a while I'd assume.

Didn't the touring pro card die last year? I see no mention of it anywhere on the PDGA site. As per the previous qualifications, I've already got my Touring Pro status for next year locked up. But I think it's been Cloroxed from the site.

Another good point. I can think of an indirect argument, and some would get it and others wouldn't. The touring pro has taken a bigger risk, and you are taking that into account. His punishment, while it might seem less, is greater. He's lost a chunk of his livelihood. Also, any player can apply to be a touring pro, including the local pro. You add a secondary fee, to eliminate people doing it for kicks, and have an understanding that there are different penalties and rules. As part of the fee structure, you have to pass the officials test, and a secondary test including one on the rules and disciplinary procedure. See, if Paul had taken such a test, he wouldn't have stuck his neck out so far. He'd of realized that BWs suspension was appropriate for his behavior.

Didn't the touring pro card die last year? I see no mention of it anywhere on the PDGA site. As per the previous qualifications, I've already got my Touring Pro status for next year locked up. But I think it's been Cloroxed from the site.

I think Steve Dodge bounced out the idea a week or so ago, a touring pro card that is, but I don't know of any history.

I'm sorry, but Joe Schmo local pro pays the same $75 to the PDGA that the big boys do. A touring pro shouldn't get a different punishment because he has some credentials that are based on his playing performance, and not his behavior.

The real world often doesn't give one a free pass for that sort of thing when one ends up in real legal trouble, so I don't see why the PDGA should.

Latest posts