• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brainwave-Like Disc Dyeing

My first brainwave attempts

IMG_20130131_094118.jpg

IMG_20130131_094043.jpg

IMG_20130131_094106.jpg

I don't understand the people trying to be secretive about their methods; it's silly not like its some million dollar trade secret.

Grape Kool-Aid as thickener!!!!!!!!!!

^ wow. that could be it....

I don't understand the people trying to be secretive about their methods; it's silly not like its some million dollar trade secret!

I agree. I do think Jeff had a very good reason not to tell his secrets; this was his business, other people who are just regular "for fun" dyers, that's another story. This forum is all about learning and testing and showing progress in dyeing and trying new stuff. Most people do share things. I have had a guy on here pm me working with me as I try new things, do this, don't do that, this worked for me. Why someone would come in and dangle a carrot in front of us and act like they know but won't share is beyond me. This isn't the secret formula for coke or KFC...... To all of the dyers that have helped me through tips and conversations, I thank you very much. I very well may have just quit if I hadn't had someone to help me out.

I agree. I do think Jeff had a very good reason not to tell his secrets; this was his business, other people who are just regular "for fun" dyers, that's another story.

This.

I'm just going to keep having fun with it.... I doubt that any of mine will ever amount to the awesomeness of Jeff's. I love just how some of his colors came out.... specially his yellow on greens.

i thought about using grape kool aid as a thickener. what im having a bigger issue with is the strength of my mix doesnt seem strong enough, and on top of that its leaving a lot of haze or whatever you wanna call it between the waves. All of Jeffs looked like the lines were clean and he did marbling in between because there was different colors in between. Also it seems as if some of my waves are coming off way too thick and rounded on the edges instead of stemming out like nerves

Consider soap if you want really thin... nerve looking waves.

FWIW I am having the same hazing problem.... I think that the combination of a thickener and iDye poly will result in some better looking dyes. I will be trying again this weekend.

i want to try some karo syrup instead of s/c....and then use grape kool-aid to see if it will add color...i know it will add the grape smell

I'm interested in trying something else other than SC. But nothing I can think of will work the same. They would all be too watery and run or not take dye because of being too thick.

Latest posts