• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brainwave-Like Disc Dyeing

^ Just sent them a request. I am spending way too much time on this. I emailed about 4 different vendors looking for help with the dyes. I doubt that I will get any good answers... but we will see. I need to force myself to start workng on my paper again. This stuff is killing me. I know that the answer is out there somewhere.... I just can't find it.

Maybe the answer is the hair dye.... I dunno.

Ya know.... I never thought to do that because I am in the medical field LMAO. If I did that exact thing in the clinic there would be a HIPAA violation. That is a great idea, though, lol.

I'm sure you'll get some useful info. These peoples lives are based on dye and they've probably forgotten more than every disc dyer combined knows. I look at it this way, we know Jeff wasn't using rit or idye poly because of the colors he was getting. So just continuing to do the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome could be a much bigger waste of time. :thmbup:

Yeah , seems to obvious but maybe you could just be enquiring about what colors he may have ordered and IF they were still available .

Yeah , that's the ticket , just wondering if my friend Jeff can still get the same colors because.... I heard they don't make them anymore ...... and I just can't find them ANYWHERE else !

Try using the perpetual liar voice !

Hey goose, I appreciate all your work, I hate to join the party late. One thing I came across on the brainwave facebook page, someone asked if he used candle wax dye and Jeff said not yet, so i looked into that a little and found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Diamond-...421?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2575defeb5

Turns out the dye comes in chips or liquid, one site I looked at had all the grape sold out, rather odd. If it works on our beloved plastic we would have all the colors we could dream up I believe. Someone mentioned thee candle wax dye stained their bathtub, so it sounds promising. I plan on ordering some this weekend.

It looks like tumble dye is only for cottons.
Reason why I asked is that Jeff Ash posted on his facebook awhile ago and commented about something someone said. He replied to them "A employee at Hobby Lobby gave me an idea". 2 hours later he responds with a message saying "This is not where I buy my dye". That night the message was removed. Hobby Lobby only stocks 2 brands of Dyes. Tumble and Tulip.

Hey goose, I appreciate all your work, I hate to join the party late. One thing I came across on the brainwave facebook page, someone asked if he used candle wax dye and Jeff said not yet, so i looked into that a little and found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Diamond-...421?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2575defeb5

Turns out the dye comes in chips or liquid, one site I looked at had all the grape sold out, rather odd. If it works on our beloved plastic we would have all the colors we could dream up I believe. Someone mentioned thee candle wax dye stained their bathtub, so it sounds promising. I plan on ordering some this weekend.

Hey buddy.... the more the merrier. I'm not the only one working/obsessed with this :) As far as the candle dye goes.... the colors are great. From what I just read, the stain will come off the countertops with different chemicals. So, I am guessing that means that the dye is less permanent.

Reason why I asked is that Jeff Ash posted on his facebook awhile ago and commented about something someone said. He replied to them "A employee at Hobby Lobby gave me an idea". 2 hours later he responds with a message saying "This is not where I buy my dye". That night the message was removed. Hobby Lobby only stocks 2 brands of Dyes. Tumble and Tulip.

Hmmm.... well I am guessing that the Hobby Lobby employee gave him a hint at something else to use... not necessarily the clothing dye. Actually... I would mark those two off of the list now.

Was just thinking to myself.... has anybody tried the Jacquard acid dyes? They have some fluorescent pink.... some bright yellows and bright blues. Just throwing that out there. Supposedlt, you have to mix it with vinegar (sound familiar?).... can thicken it with something... I forget the name... it had been mentioned here before. Just wondering. On a side note, I'm bored and I am going to try something new with my bland iDye colors.

Its says right on the packet that it works with poly and they have all the colors Mr. Jeff was using it his later dyes. Don't write Tulip off guys. Anyone have a hobby lobby near them?

OK.... one more idea... Have you guys noticed that all of Jeff's dyes toward the end were either brigh yellow, bright pink, or bright blue? Is it possible that he was using some type of highlighters.... extracting the highlighter dye.... and then mixing it somehow to get those colors?

... ^ or maybe he threw it in there to throw us off...

But seriously.... doesn't the lack of colors other than pink, yellow, and blue mean something?

Can anybody tell me if these newer bright yellow, pink, and blue dyes are fluorescent. Do they glow/light up when under a black light?