• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brainwave-Like Disc Dyeing

I'm guessing that green dye is priced low because of St. Patty's coming up. The green that I used came out kind of dark.... but it still might be good to mix with yellow or another bright color.

So I have dye on the way (the hair dye cream).
I have a good sized plastic plate I've used for SC marbling.
What else do I need? Spoon? Have some of those. Sprayer/mister bottle? Think I have one around here somewhere.
I have to read back through this monster thread and figure out how to law down the wave patterns in the 1st place.
Can anyone give a quick rundown?
I was thinking of completely covering a few discs in vinyl to try out my wave laying first without committing plastic.
Does that sound feasible?

If I were you.... I would just practice with SC with no dye.... or with hair gel with no dye.... or with dish soap and no dye.

I'm just using an upside down frisbee, spoon, spray bottle, and a blow dryer.

Is the dye cream similar in texture and such to SC?
I've done SC painting and marbling, sounds like a good idea for laying patterns.
I have an old blow dryer around here somewhere too so I should be good once my dye cream arrives.
(and some SC practice it sounds like)

Thanks!

The dye is probably thicker than s/c. I would run by the nearest "dollar" store and grab a cheap bottle of clear hair gel and just practice. You can always use that for the neutral (non-dye) bwaves........

My lesson of the day is to not put the dye on unsecured foil. The foil has too much give and doesn't pull clean waves.

That being said, I'm very curious about what I'm going to get. There are some really intricate lines going on.

Something to try for making the colors pop or maybe take better Goose would be to heat up with the blow dryer then try tossing in the fridge or freezer. When I used to tattoo I would suggest cold water then hot then back to cold to close open close pours. It usually makes ink brighter on skin. Since plastic is porous perhaps this would apply as well. I'm currently trying it out on one of the 16 I posted earlier. Just food for thought

Nuke pic

I think I'm just too impatient to wait more than 48 hours lol. Gonna wait for the others

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 231
I pulled this one as well. Star rhyno and ended up with negative waves

I know these aren't impressive btw lol. Gotta start somewhere though

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 196
I tried my first one tonight. I learned something about using foil. Unless it's stuck to the surface it doesn't let the disc pull a clean brainwave.

However, what I ended up with looks like a hybrid shaving cream/brainwave. I was much too eager to see what was underneath the goop and the colors came out much lighter than I thought they would. This didn't end up being a bad thing as the colors are very vivid.

There's some magical stuff going on in there. ;)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Looks pretty sweet I think! Oh my hybrid dyes now lol

Did you use hair dye or rit idye etc?

I just wish I could get those super bright colors the other guys get. Work in progress I guess. Luckily I have a lot of practice plastic lol

I picked up some Punky Colour on the way home from work. I had to go to an Ulta. :p

I may want to replicate it at some point. One of the things I tried to do was not only to spread out different color dyes next to each but also layered on top of each other. It's hard to see in the pics but it definitely created some good transitional spots.

Well looks like Im gonna have to get some punky too. Can't get colors super bright lol. Vulcan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 133