• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brainwave-Like Disc Dyeing

^Ah. So it is a Whizbo Shark (floater)... it's the same disc. The stamp is either a shark with a disc spinning on it's fin... or a beach chair with sand and a beach ball / pale? can't quite remember???

The hot stamp is really deep? and gold or silver?

Either way... That's the disc I learned to freestyle with. Made by Jan Sobel of Destiny / Dynamic / Whizbo discs. Same company that makes the Super Puppy and the Dimple.
DSCJNKY

*back to the dyes

Was fooling around with some stuff today after reading the OP. Didn't watch the videos, just started fooling around with my own ideas based on tons of info that I have read here and elsewhere about this sort of technique. I have no idea where the grape smell comes from BTW but if I had to guess I would say its the kind of dish soap that he was using. Cheap, thick and happens to be grape scented? Not sure. Anyways, I was using disc soap with a thickener and iDye black (just the powder).
Working title "microwaves"
14602_413944035345388_488978882_n.jpg

59358_413944022012056_1294393934_n.jpg

What about instead of oven drying, using a blow dryer for the hair. I think low power further away would do the same effect. I mean for those that do not have the means for tiny ovens :p

Was fooling around with some stuff today after reading the OP. Didn't watch the videos, just started fooling around with my own ideas based on tons of info that I have read here and elsewhere about this sort of technique. I have no idea where the grape smell comes from BTW but if I had to guess I would say its the kind of dish soap that he was using. Cheap, thick and happens to be grape scented? Not sure. Anyways, I was using disc soap with a thickener and iDye black (just the powder).

awesome work! MICROWAVES what type of dish soap and thickeners?

hairdryers at a distance sounds like a great idea too.

Last edited:

Thats a pretty sweet effect you have there :thmbup:

You got brainwave if you were zoomed out

I am going to try to fool with the consistency to get thicker lines later..maybe tonight, but for now I gotta take the kids to the park. This was with liquid dish soap. And I forgot to mention that I baked these as well. 170 (the lowest my oven will go) On a cookie sheet with a towel on it. Baked for maybe 10-15 min. I feel like the heat probably helps the dye set a bit.

I am going to try to fool with the consistency to get thicker lines later..maybe tonight, but for now I gotta take the kids to the park. This was with liquid dish soap. And I forgot to mention that I baked these as well. 170 (the lowest my oven will go) On a cookie sheet with a towel on it. Baked for maybe 10-15 min. I feel like the heat probably helps the dye set a bit.

so the dye was only on the disc for about 15 min?

for the clear waves - I bet some Elmer's Glue would work as the "base" - let it dry, then dip, or SC marble, or whatnot, then wash the Elmers off.

No baking I also used a sheet of wax paper that was taped down the the counter instead of a garbage disc. This technique is very fun to do. But I will take some practice to get good at it. listen to the OP when he says to practice with no dye in the SC first.

brain1.jpg
[/IMG]

awesome effect it looks like dendrites...right on!!

It's nice to see everyone sharing. I like all the discs that were done. My first set is on fee bay take a look at the pictures. All I have is a iPad today so I could not post the pics on here.