• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brainwave-Like Disc Dyeing

I think it's more about the chase at this point than the end product. =-)

I'm already liking the results I'm getting, working on incorporating them into regular hot dip dyes for interesting results

First try ultra light brainwave

So I read this whole thread and figured I'd give it a whirl. My biggest issue I was coming up with was getting my black dye to actually dye black. It dyed my one white disc and ugly brown. Tried water with rit dye powder verified that it is non nd. No such luck. Acetone no such luck. Now I've never dyed a disc before so I knew I would get a bunch wrong. Aaaanyway after all that. Any suggestions on powder to liquid ratio would be cool. Im gonna try lavon_andy's hair dye method here soon.

To make my brainwave esque lines I just used dish soap. Very light layer just enough to cover my dip pan I had and swirled the dye in. Pressed softly and picked up straight instead of going left to right.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 167
Good to see all these guy throwing their hat in the ring...... Keep up the good work....

Yeah how about it bammm! I swear im gonna give this another stab in the next few weeks. You guys are great, we're getting there!

I have a dye project lined up for this weekend. Can't wait to get back into it. I am trying a couple of different things this weekend. I will let y'all know what I get :)

I dyed my river this past weekend. I wasn't really impressed at first. Looks like a bad flame job. Still a thrower, though.

This one might be good for a laugh... looks like a flame job painted by an 8 year old.

8510310078_8b4fcf8602.jpg

On a white river!!! Goose how could you?!?! :thmbdown: Practice on crappy Innova or Discraft plastic. :D ;) :wall:

I know.... it is ok.... I can still throw it. Figured I would let everybody have their laugh for the day.

I am going to try to redeem myself this weekend.

I ordered so pro chemical acid dyes and they don't work as far as I can tell. The disperse dyes on the other hand are pretty cool : )

This one might be good for a laugh... looks like a flame job painted by an 8 year old.

8510310078_8b4fcf8602.jpg

Looks sort of like antlers...

This might be a good technique to bookmark for the Stag release...?

Feel free to ignore. I have 0.0 dyeing knowlege...I'm just addicted to the dyeing threads...this stuff is so cool...

Not to mention the pursuit of the secrets of the brainwave is like a detective story that I'm watching from the sidelines.

Last edited:
Saw splat hair dye at the grocery store for $10 a bottle, only bright pink, purple, and blue.

When I run out of what I've got now ill pick some up. I bet the wife gives me funny looks when I reach for it though.

ProChem Disperse
or
Aljo Disperse

Large range of colors.
Both work well. Essentially the same thing as iDye poly etc. but better quality...from what I can tell. Been using both successfully.

Here is another failure lol. Very light color again from the same night as the force.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 69