• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bull headed friends!

yeah I have a quite a few buddies like that. As i have whooped up on them long enough, they have started to try new shots more like the shots I am throwing, and the good results make them try more of the shots I am throwing. Just be patient. In the mean time, try to convince them to play for money. I find that that makes people want to get better faster.

The most annoying thing is people asking for advice, saying they understood it and still making the old mistakes years later ^^

Buddy of mine keeps asking me about his drives, he has no control at all, I keep telling him to throw from a standstill and to build his drive from the hit backwards. He says ok, picks his biggest fastest driver, goes 7 steps back and does one huge runup.

Oh well ^^

Just do what I do, throw a putter about as far if not farther than his drive except on the fairway. ;)

If they want to improve, they'll get tired of you doing that.

Hmm, I like the money idea. Usually bullheaded people are also a bit delusional in their own abilities even if they lose every time to you. So my plan is to let him win this next round we play to build up his delusion, and then the time after that the previous round will be fresh on his mind when I will offer the bet of 1 premium beer per stroke. At least I'll be able to get me a 12'er of Stella out of his hard-headedness.

Ha! I posted that before reading the thread. Seriously though, take the guy's money. If he gets better, he'll push you to get better too. If he doesn't, you get money. Win/win scenario!

Hmm, I like the money idea. Usually bullheaded people are also a bit delusional in their own abilities even if they lose every time to you. So my plan is to let him win this next round we play to build up his delusion, and then the time after that the previous round will be fresh on his mind when I will offer the bet of 1 premium beer per stroke. At least I'll be able to get me a 12'er of Stella out of his hard-headedness.

Stella is premium? :confused:

;)

Well, for a 12 pack it is. Not too many good beers come in a 12 pack. I'm not so cruel as to make him buy singles or even sixpacks. When I'm through with him I won't have to buy beer for at least...an hour or two ;) ...and Stella is nice for hot Texas days.

"Aww man, you had some bad luck that round. Those trees just jumped out at you. That wind was brutal out there. I know you're way better than that. Yeah man, I got lucky with those skips and the wind didn't even blow when I shot! So...you ready for that second round, double or nothing?"

i have friends like this too... does you friend ever get it right?

mine will throw it right 1 or 2 times out of 10, so instead of pointing out his errors, i go for positive reinforcement and point out the things he does right and why the drive went correctly as opposed to horridly wrong...

i find it's the best approach, because bull headed people like that hate to have their faults pointed out, but love the praise that satisfies their egos, and i think it triggers something in their brain that says "hey, if you keep doing that, these people will continue to praise you"

i also find that beating them by double digit strokes every round tends to lend credence to your advise...

remember that everyone learns differently, some learn by words, some by hearing, some take criticism well, and some need positive reinforcement- every/anyone can/will learn- you just have to find the right approach

I am trying to go from a forehand to a backhand. actually I know what I am doing wrong and I got a buddy who keeps pointing it out, in the same words, to the point where I may have to beat him, like a borrowed mule. Actually it's gotten to the point when he and I play I tend to not use my poor backhand skills to drive. For some reason he thinks every round should be a competition, to me every round is a learning experience.
So it's not really that I'm bullheaded, because I will take anyone's advice if it improves by game. I just get tired of his advice because it's always the same, like I'm not aware that I am coming up on my release.. :)

i have friends like this too... does you friend ever get it right?

mine will throw it right 1 or 2 times out of 10, so instead of pointing out his errors, i go for positive reinforcement and point out the things he does right and why the drive went correctly as opposed to horridly wrong...

i find it's the best approach, because bull headed people like that hate to have their faults pointed out, but love the praise that satisfies their egos, and i think it triggers something in their brain that says "hey, if you keep doing that, these people will continue to praise you"

i also find that beating them by double digit strokes every round tends to lend credence to your advise...

remember that everyone learns differently, some learn by words, some by hearing, some take criticism well, and some need positive reinforcement- every/anyone can/will learn- you just have to find the right approach

But that doesn't sound like alot of fun. Bullheaded friends are strictly there for how much entertainment you can gleen from them. They are your thespians.. Now, DANCE monkey!

You aren't good enough to park that disc under that basket sitting 4 feet from the busy parking lot.

I know it's a 330' carry over this lake, and YOU don't have the manly arm to make it, now do you Lucy? I DARE ya!

The Pro I saw last weekend, anny'd this star Max out over the Interstate on the left and brought it back right exactly 250' to watch it level out just before it hit the chains for an AWESOME ACE!!

If you were any kind of player, hell anykind of a MAN you might could pull this one off. I mean, that's not even a difficult shot. My 12 year old daughter was throwing that one all week long last week

that's what i do too, i just stay quiet when they throw a horrible shot. they know what they did was shyte. sometimes i'll maybe say "oh man..." as it hits a tree and goes gliding down into the ravine, missing every stopper tree on the way to the bottom. maybe followed by "that's going to be a tricky one"