• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] buzzz stability in different plastics?

pzacch05

Par Member
im a aware that stability in buzzzs in regards to plastic goes d<x<esp<z<glo z
basically im just wondering what the actual difference in flight is between plastics. i have a slightly beat 170 z buzzz. it flights neutral to understable. what weights and what plastics would benefit me with concerns to another buzzz in a neutral to overstable and an overstable slot.

overstable : wasp

neutral : newer Z buzzz

also, there is this magical thing called the search function.

yes i am aware of the search bar hence the reason why i understand the above. as there are hundreds of buzzz threads look in a mirror and ask yourself; would i you have searched through all of them? probably not. also you didnt answer my full question im guessing its cause you were so caught up in trying to put me down telling me to search. but thank you for the part that you did answer.

^lol...
Anyway, try a heavier Z buzzz for that stable spot, and then look for a max glo buzzz for the overstable slot. However, your best bet would be to get a wasp for a more pure overstable slot...but mold minimization is best imo (however, a buzzz is just a beadless wasp...).

Yeah the heavy flat glo buzzz seem to fly straight to overstable. Or a flat opaque heavy z buzzz will work too. I have a cryztal for straight/ understable and a z buzzz for staight with hard fade and windy conditions.
Also i carry a wasp just in case theres too much wind.

yes i am aware of the search bar hence the reason why i understand the above. as there are hundreds of buzzz threads look in a mirror and ask yourself; would i you have searched through all of them? probably not. also you didnt answer my full question im guessing its cause you were so caught up in trying to put me down telling me to search. but thank you for the part that you did answer.

:doh:

For me, the Z is more overstable than the FLX or Crystal. I do not like the esp in the buzzz (although I do in other molds?).

For me, it is Z, then FLX, then Crystal (which is almost understable). I also carrry a Wasp for slightly more overstable or wind.

i have done enough searching on the subject and i know it simply comes down to throwing them but i dont have the funds to splurge on $50 worth of plastic just looking to get as much input as possible before purchasing.

flat glo buzzz's are stable to overstable

heavy z buzzz's are nice and stable, kinda over-ish

i have a cryztal z that is flat and flies slightly overstable

esp's can be flippy to stable

flx buzzz's can be flippy to stable

x buzzz's start nice and stable but break in to flippy flyers

and pro d buzzz's are marked as zero so they get pretty flippy after a few tree hits.

Get a heavy Glo Z Buzzz and a Z Hornet and you'll be set. In my experience, a Glo Z Buzzz and a Z Wasp are so similar in stability it's pointless to carry both. Plus, the Hornet doesn't have a huge bead like the Wasp so it feels more similar to a Buzzz

Also, an X Buzzz is always nice for the understable slot. I'm currently experimenting with Rocs and Comets, but I usually carry the following:

171 X Buzzz - beat, understable
170 Glo Z Buzzz - fresh, stable/overstable
171 Z Hornet - fresh, overstable.

I like the more opaque elite z buzzz I have a blue one and purple one and they have almost a marble look to them, imo they have a smooth flip where i've found the translucent elite z buzzz has a fast unpredictable flip. I haven't thrown many cryztal buzzzes. The glo buzzz is awesome for OS shots imo. I've had a FLX buzzz but wasn't to big on it so I traded it. All of my information is coming from throwing max weight 177+ buzzzes.

flat glo buzzz's are stable to overstable

heavy z buzzz's are nice and stable, kinda over-ish

i have a cryztal z that is flat and flies slightly overstable

esp's can be flippy to stable

flx buzzz's can be flippy to stable

x buzzz's start nice and stable but break in to flippy flyers

and pro d buzzz's are marked as zero so they get pretty flippy after a few tree hits.

This has been my same experience.

Sometimes I really can't tell a difference between my max glo buzzz and my Z Wasp.

I carry 5 buzzzs.
Older Z - 170g -- this is my bread and butter Buzzz. Any time I'm just throwing, not trying to work lines, not worried about wind. I use this Buzzz the most.

Brand new Z - 177+g -- I try to keep this as clean and fresh as possible. Open drives or real huks that I want to rip, so I go for that tad extra stability.

FLX - 172g -- straight, low power flier. Mid distance standstill apporaches that feel just out of reach of my BangerGT. Plus I know It can take it's hits and not break in too quick.

Seasoned D - 174g -- turnovers and emergency roller. This was my first Buzzz so it's mostly sentimental, but I do use it enough to keep it off the wall and in the bag.

Brand new D 177+g -- mostly a backup to my other D, but it does seem to fit in nicely I between my Zs. If. I wasn't so worried about it getting gashed up, Id probably throw it a lot more.

That's my experience with Buzzzes. I love them. Hope it helps a little.

Each disc new:

Pro D - never thrown one, can bet it is relatively straight with minor turn right out of the box.

Elite X - My favorite. Straight with a late fade right out of the box. This is how a buzzz should throw. After breaking in, it holds many lines with correct release angles and smooth form. I throw this in conjunction with a DX Roc (flippy), Z Comet (stable utility), and C-MD2 (overstable). It overlaps with the roc and comet slightly, but can be thrown on lower lines and doesn't have the fade of the Roc.

Elite Z - I would consider this slightly overstable, it likes to come out of an anhyzer and will have a stronger fade than EliteX. Not as much glide as the X.

CryZtal - These have some turn in em, the flippiest of the premium plastics (this includes X). IMO this disc is worthless, the EliteX covers this base, has more glide, and you can cycle them to cover a more understable mid.

ESP - Right in between Z and X, feels good in the hand and has a good wear cycle.

FLX - These are overstable with less glide (FLX always has less glide). The one I had was the most overstable buzzz I've ever thrown, but I've also seen them fly less stable. I will never throw one of these again, they might feel good but it's not what a buzzz should do.

^lol...
Anyway, try a heavier Z buzzz for that stable spot, and then look for a max glo buzzz for the overstable slot. However, your best bet would be to get a wasp for a more pure overstable slot...but mold minimization is best imo (however, a buzzz is just a beadless wasp...).
Maybe it was just the Wasp I got, but I prefer the Hornet to the Wasp.

I use a boatload of Discraft mids (in order of increasing stability):
Z-Comet
170ish Glow Z Buzzz... a bit more stable than my older 164 ESP Buzzz.
Nebula (2008 Ace Race Disc)
Hornet
Drone

I tried a Z-Wasp as the fit between the Nebula and Drone, and frankly, I found it wasn't as stable as I wanted... not really any more stable than the Nebula. Swapped the Wasp out for the Hornet and I'm happy.

Then I traded that Z-Wasp for a Z-Predator for some real overstability. :thmbup:

Last edited:
I don't think people realize how all over the places Buzzes can be. My most overstable Buzzes was 176 FLX. The FLX was by far the most OS Buzz I've thrown. It would fight hard out of an anhyzer even with 350' of power. All three 178 FLX Buzzes I threw started out a bit OS, but broke in kind of weird. They'd fly great for most shots but on high distance throws they didn't seem to keep their HSS as they broke in the way Z did.

All the Glo Z Buzzes I've thrown have been neutral. I've thrown 170, 175, 176 and 178 and not a single one was OS for a Buzz.

Threw a few mid 170's ESP's and they seemed pretty consistent, all starting out a tiny bit OS from neutral but breaking in nicely.

D and X start out more understable, they have less fade at the end of the flight. I think maybe because the Buzz was meant for premium plastics, the baseline versions come out a little less stable.

Latest posts