• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Car vs disc

It sucks, yeah. But the point we're trying to make, is that you gotta take responsibility for your shots. If you would have hit that car and dented it, or busted a window would you blame the driver (of the car...not disc)? Discs really aren't that easy to see on the roadway, and it's not something that you frequently look for while driving. As someone else mentioned most people are also too busy fiddling with crap and don't pay attention to their driving anyway.

If you hit a kid crossing the fairway in a park, even though the kid was crossing a fairway...it's public park property and everyone is entitled to that property, it'd be your fault (pending any surprise cresting over a hill or blind shot type deals). Just be careful, and when something happens like this just be lucky it wasn't something more severe.

??? Take responsibility and contrition if you do this. You could have caused more injury to others including the driver and passenger(s) if they had to swerve and any pedestrians that the driver may have hit to avoid your disc.

I have seen cars swerve to hit discs, there's one born every minute. I've never had a disc fly differently after being driven over (only three times) but I've heard enough Pros comment that it changes the stability of the disc to know that it can happen.

Geez, lighten up on bashing the guy for throwing on a road. He said he threw the disc, and WHEN HE WENT TO RETRIEVE IT, it was ran over. That means he wasn't throwing when the car was in danger of being hit. My home course is in a park with a number of roads running through it and has three holes where it's very easy to throw on a road. We wait to throw until there are no cars driving in anyplace we can reach but it is entirely possible to throw and then have a car come along between the time you threw and when you get to your disc.

I have thrown a disc into the road a total of one time that I can remember. Some of you need to practice or just give up unless you are just trying to get courses near roads pulled.

I've thrown it in the road a few times and once had it run over. I think the point is not: learn to throw n00b, rather... Cars drive on roads and are liable to run over discs so don't be too pissed off about it. If it were me I'd just be pissed at myself.

Lastly I have seen drivers go out of their way to hit discs and that is certainly going to make me upset.

I have thrown a disc into the road a total of one time that I can remember. Some of you need to practice or just give up unless you are just trying to get courses near roads pulled.

Whoa! We've got a professional here. Try playing my home course, I guarantee you would throw it in a road in 10% of your rounds. It's a park road so the cars are (supposed to be) traveling at 10 mph. I've never seen a moving car hit there either and I've got 500+ rounds there.

I know a guy who threw his disc into the road, it immediately got ran over and "disappeared." He was kind of bummed about losing one of his favorite discs, but moved on. On his way home that day he saw something that caught his attention 1/2 mile away from the course, swung around and went back for it - it was his disc. Apparently it got wedged in the wheel well or something, the tire rubbed on it for a while, it has a rubber streak worn into it. He still carries and throws it to this day (or at least the last time I threw with him), quite a bit more understable than it used to be, but it fills a role for him.

Oh no, I know I don't have any business throwing it on the road. I'm working on that. I've been playing about three months now. I'm still trying to dial it in.

Keep playing dude! But don't be surprised when some DB tries to run over your disc, picks one up and keeps it, finds one you lost and doesn't call you, or straight up mocks you for just playing DG.

Oh, and definitely don't be surprised if you post something on DGCR and some really big DBs post a bunch of condescending nonsense. A lot of elitists on here who have no problem judging even though they don't know the circumstances (park road, 15mph speed limit, nowhere near hitting a car, etc).

Keep on hucking, and stay off the roads, lol.

At my local course the 16&17 play with road about 70 feet to the right of the center fairway. People throw over there all the time and cars hit them going 50+. Most I've seen are just fine and fly just like before. My buddy hit a truck one time. That was hella funny

The best road/car-related disc mishap I have ever seen was on hole 1 at Central Park, back in 2009. I saw a guy noob hyzer a disc right towards the road. If this scenario wasn't already going badly enough, the disc landed perfectly in the bed of a passing Chevy Silverado. The guy in the truck just kept on driving while the noob hyzerer ran after him in vain. I just about died from laughing so hard.

The best road/car-related disc mishap I have ever seen was on hole 1 at Central Park, back in 2009. I saw a guy noob hyzer a disc right towards the road. If this scenario wasn't already going badly enough, the disc landed perfectly in the bed of a passing Chevy Silverado. The guy in the truck just kept on driving while the noob hyzerer ran after him in vain. I just about died from laughing so hard.

Too funny, would have been better if you had a vid though! We have a 15mph park road that comes into play on 4-5 holes, so discs end up in the road a lot. I've never had one run over but I have seen others run over plenty. Sometimes they do swerve to run them over intentionally, but that's rare.

And once in awhile I have heard of cars stopping and grabbing a disc, and speeding off with it. I'd be more concerned about leaving your bag near the road unattended while going after a disc though. Apparently a few years ago there were kids on bikes grabbing bags and bolting with them.

And another time a guy left his bag outside the bathroom and a kid grabbed it and was running off with it -- had his keys, wallet, cell phone, etc. in it. The guy came out a few seconds after and started running after the kid, yelling and cursing at him. So the kid dropped the bag and ran for his life lol. So my bag always goes in the bathroom with me, never gets left unattended.

Geez, lighten up on bashing the guy for throwing on a road. He said he threw the disc, and WHEN HE WENT TO RETRIEVE IT, it was ran over. That means he wasn't throwing when the car was in danger of being hit. My home course is in a park with a number of roads running through it and has three holes where it's very easy to throw on a road. We wait to throw until there are no cars driving in anyplace we can reach but it is entirely possible to throw and then have a car come along between the time you threw and when you get to your disc.

Middle Creek DGC is located on the campus of a high school/ multi use park. As such there are several roads and parking lots that run through or near the course. Hole 2 tees off from about 10' left of the main drive and is about a 280' straight shot with woods along the left side of the hole. My typical drive takes a long gentle hyzer over the road to the pin. I will admit that on several occcasions I have hit one of the 3 light poles and had a disc land in the road. We always wait for cars to tee off however, there is a blind curve next to the basket so when the high school kids come speeding around the bend it is entirely possible to hit a car that you could not see or hear before throwing.

Of course now we only play after dark so it is much easier to see headlights through the trees and avoid throwing before the vehicle they belong to goes past the tee.

That's slightly better than the alternative I've experienced where the driver stops the car, picks up your disc, and leaves.

I was playing a glow round once, LED's taped to the disc. Turned it over into the highway in Albert Lea from Tallgrass. The first car swerves around the strange glowing disc in the road. The second, stops before it, backs up, then drives slowly around it. The third stops, gets out, walks up to the disc - I shout "Hey, that's mine!" He jumps not knowing there was anybody around that belonged to the weird glowing orb on the road, he gets back in his car and drives away quickly..