• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Central Coast Disc Golf - CCDG vids

I blame your footage from DeLa a few years ago for getting me hooked on DG vids and tourney coverage!

How about some favorite CCDG uploads?

Ever consider selling merch? I'd totally rock a "Gotta want it" t-shirt!

Maybe you can put in a order of CFR discs to support your efforts as well. I think they'd sell between here, reddit, and facebook.

You guys have the absolute best comentary in disc golf...To me, its approaching iconic like Harry Carrey, Bob Uecker, Woody Durham, John Madden, ect. I hope CCDG is able to continue to grow with the sport, and be "The Voice of Disc Golf" long into the future.

I completely enjoyed your Worlds coverage! Specifically, identifying the disc thrown, and knowlege of the sport in general. You guys have great attention to detail, like what line a particular player has been throwing on a particular hole throughout an event.
The energy is positive and adds to the enjoyment of the viewer. I tried to watch the Prodigy coverage bc of the "4k", but quickly turned it off and went back to CCDG, because the editing was not as good and the lack of commentary was awkward.

I also like that your editing style feels fluid and not disruptive. I like seeing players preparing to tee and seting up for shots, as well as quick views of the other players in the back ground. It adds to the moment and helps to build the suspense.

Anyway. Great job guys! Thanks for all of the extremely hard work to bring the DG community this FREE coverage!!

Great work CCDG! :hfive: My favorite coverage for sure. The Worlds footage was superb and I appreciate all of the hard work that you guys put in. I actually use "Front rim banger" and "Gotta want it" on the course now thanks to you guys. Keep up the great work. :clap:

I'll second this.

I've used "gotta want it" and "gotta get it up to get it in" numerous times, LOL

First off If I didn't quote you, Thanks you! For sure reading all these. It's my fuel for making more vids. Really appreciate the great feedback!

Are you guys planning on covering any other big events this year? USDGC? Hall of Fame Classic?

Love yall's work. You guys are great, keep up the hard work because we love every minute of it!

Thanks! Nothing huge. I talked to Terry about going to Ledgestone but he never got back to me. I'm sure there will be enough video coverage of that anyway. We still have some BSF and Worlds vids to post though, but no big next day vids plans so far. I'd love to get out to USDGC. I should hit up Jamie.

Up next we've got the Rocky Mountain Disc Golf Championships, probably the Coyote Classic, and hopefully the Sharktooth Open. Super excited to go to Montana and film Bohart Ranch. All the pics I've been seeing are making me drool on my keyboard.

O also, I talked to Paul and he said he's gonna be in SoCal this winter. Really hoping we can film some stuff with him.

Still hoping to see a McBeth compilation/super cut of all of his eagles, because the guy gets tons of ridiculous eagles. Especially if you can collaborate with other film crews.

Not sure if it was you who recommended that earlier, but I actually started working on it! I have so much other footage that needs editing though so it keeps getting pushed back. One of these days! McBeast Mode part deux will happen.

Firstly, your videos are my favorite, hands down.

If you get a chance ("in your spare time"), I would love to see some "in the bag" videos with pro women. The top women are better than me, but they are closer to my skill level and distance than the men so it is more interesting to see what they throw.

Thanks for all the good work, your efforts are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Can do sir! Next time I film some ladies I'll make it happen. I really only like ITB's when I can throw in footage of them throwing the discs.

Great work in Pittsburgh! After living in Pittsburgh for six years, my job took my elsewhere one week before worlds, so your videos have been very therapeutic. I just became a Patreon subscriber of yours: https://www.patreon.com/CCDG?ty=c

Anyway, what did you think of Pittsburgh's Worlds courses that you covered: Moraine, Deer Lakes, and Slippery Rock? A definite favorite or least favorite among them? Love it or hate it with Slippery Rock? From a videographer's perspective, were there things related to the layout and course design that worked well or didn't work well?

Thanks, and thanks for the sub!

O man. I seriously can't gush enough about those courses, and the tournament as a whole. Hats off to the staff! I loved that the rounds started so early (really helped with getting next day vids done).

As for the courses. Moraine and Deer Lakes were pretty much tied for me. Slippery Rock was cool too, but I prefer filming less wide open courses (much easier to track the disc in the woods). The light can get tricky going in and out of the woods, but that's where a camcorder with auto light adjustment really shines. I heard initially they wanted to have Slippery be more wooded holes but got shot down by the Uni/Ecological concerns. I think they did great with what they were given.

That said having Slippery was PERFECT for the Final 9's. No way could that many people have watched disc at Moraine or Deer Lakes. Seriously the tourney staff knew exactly what they were doing. I was amazed how well they herded the huge crowd around at Moraine Friday and Saturday. Rumor has it the PDGA offered up Worlds in Pittsburgh again soon. I really hope they take them up on it. I would be back in a heartbeat.

Also a note on Pittsburgh. Holy **** that city is beautiful! I grew up in Portland OR, and it really reminded me of that. I'm sure Stu was sick of me going "WOW this city is so cool looking!"

LOL, I love this idea, that would be awesome!

I seriously love the CCDG vids, you guys have some awesome camera work and great commentary! :thmbup:

My question is when will the WCDGC final round video be up? I really enjoyed the first two rounds and am pretty excited to see the super course layout; I know you said sometime after Worlds somewhere here earlier, I was just curious if y'all had an idea of timeframe on that yet.

Thanks so much!

O ****, thanks for reminding me! I'll see what Derek's schedule is looking like. Hopefully this week, but next week might be more realistic. I usually do those after the kiddo goes to bed, but we've been falling asleep at the same time :p (hellllo east coast time)

How about a "people who film disc golf" challenge, you know, get you guys out from behind the camera and editing studio, and out in front of the camera throwing some discs? I know one of your most used comments seems to be "name X, oh buddy!" after they miss a relatively easy putt. Maybe we could get some "Ian, oh buddy!" commentary too :p .

If that's too much pressure :D , could do a casual doubles round with a pro alongside.

That would be so fun! Kevin and I just filmed a doubles round up on the Central Coast. Next time Terry/Marty/Jomez/TheDiscEye/PHP and I will be in the same location, I'll see if they're down. Or maybe Derek and I can play doubles with Paul and some other pro this winter (dreaming big here).

I blame your footage from DeLa a few years ago for getting me hooked on DG vids and tourney coverage!

Ever consider selling merch? I'd totally rock a "Gotta want it" t-shirt!

Maybe you can put in a order of CFR discs to support your efforts as well. I think they'd sell between here, reddit, and facebook.

Love hearing that!

We actually just got a bunch of CCDG shirts in! I'll get those on our website soon. I do have a bunch of CCDG dyemax discs if you're interested. We're working on getting CCDG minis and CFR discs too.

I want a "true story" tee.

hahaha. O man I got carried away with that one for a while...

You guys have the absolute best commentary in disc golf...To me, its approaching iconic like Harry Carrey, Bob Uecker, Woody Durham, John Madden, ect. I hope CCDG is able to continue to grow with the sport, and be "The Voice of Disc Golf" long into the future.

I completely enjoyed your Worlds coverage! Specifically, identifying the disc thrown, and knowledge of the sport in general. You guys have great attention to detail, like what line a particular player has been throwing on a particular hole throughout an event.
The energy is positive and adds to the enjoyment of the viewer. I tried to watch the Prodigy coverage bc of the "4k", but quickly turned it off and went back to CCDG, because the editing was not as good and the lack of commentary was awkward.

I also like that your editing style feels fluid and not disruptive. I like seeing players preparing to tee and seting up for shots, as well as quick views of the other players in the back ground. It adds to the moment and helps to build the suspense.

Anyway. Great job guys! Thanks for all of the extremely hard work to bring the DG community this FREE coverage!!

Thanks so much man!!! I would love to be the voice of DG if it ever goes super mainstream. I have so much fun doing commentary for you guys. I just sit down, pretend you guys are all my friends, and do the best job I can filling in the story where the video falls a bit short. That and the occasional terrible joke.

Disc identifying is something I'm really going to focus on going forward. Gonna see if I can get more peeks in bags before/after rounds.

Let me point out that your commentary, especially the color commentary, is really excellent. Too many of the disc golf commentators are stilted. That said, your coloquialisms don't fit the norm of sports commentary. I'm not really complaining, just pointing that as good as you guys are, you can cut out the cool dude kind of comments. They are essentially filler that interrupts the more informative things you have to discuss.

Thanks for taking the time to learn both course features, and player tendencies, it's clear it takes a lot of effort and it keeps me coming back.

Next time Terry/Marty/Jomez/TheDiscEye/PHP and I will be in the same location, I'll see if they're down.

Fo sho!

If Innova/SpinTV allows us to film at USDGC as we've requested, maybe you guys can get here early, stay at my place and we'll hook up with Will and some other pros on the way to USDGC. A battle at Harmon Hills or Stoney Hill would be rad. Only question is, who's going to film :)

...your coloquialisms don't fit the norm of sports commentary. I'm not really complaining, just pointing that as good as you guys are, you can cut out the cool dude kind of comments. They are essentially filler that interrupts the more informative things you have to discuss...

I'll say this: To your point, I will admit that I withheld a similar constructive criticism.

I have been watching CCDG vids for a while now and, at first, I found the Cali surfer (cool dude) thing to be a bit distracting and a little shticky. But hey, I'm a southern boy with a drawl, so I chaulked it up to diversity or whatever. It also made me feel old, like I was too mature or not hip enough to watch. All that being said, I have come to find their colloquialization completely genuine, endearing, and furthermore a bit refreshing when oposed to the "norm" of sports commentary.

To me that is exactly what makes them unique and iconic. Its kind of the "hook", if you will, to use a music term. If it were done in the same voice like professional golf, for example, I would likely fall asleep watching. The overwhelming positivity that comes through is also nice. I'm super competitive, and partially why I don't follow sports like I used to is that it keeps my blood pressure down lol. The commentary of NFL football for example highlights the drama, controversy, and aggressiveness of the sport. While this also serves to hook viewers, its not what I want out of Disc Golf. Disc Golf has served as a sport to feed my competitive spirit, while also offering serenity. I'm glad that CCDG is able to capture that Spirit of the Sport within their commentary. Everywhere I have played DG the folks I have met represent a "brotherhood" type of sport with a sense of community more than any other sport I have participated in. I also feel like this is captured in the commentary of CCDG better than others I have seen.

For an additional analogy, I'll use The Office (NBC comedy). When that show came out and started to get popular, I thought it looked silly and stupid, so I never gave it a chance. I later forced myself to watch a few episodes to see what the fuss was about. Once I understood the comedic style, and recognized the relationships of the characters, I was hooked! Now I regard The Office as one of the most genius and hilarious shows I have ever followed.

Love your coverage, thanks for what you do. My only hopefully constructive criticism is, the commentary (sorry, I don't know who it is) can be a little gravelly, low level, spoken fast, etc at times. If it was spoken a little slower, perhaps at a more constant level, it would be much better imho. Technically, you can put your voice through a compressor to bump up the lows and decrease the highs making for a constant volume, that's what the radio/tv guys do, etc, etc. Again...HUGE thanks for what you do, I realize filming and commentary are two different art forms in itself. ;)

CCDG sets the curve for the rest of the awesome disc golf producers we have out there! Thanks for all the awesome work you guys do, and deliver to us free of charge might I add. Needless to say I love your videos and I'll frequent this thread now! Great "idea" to start your own :)

Love the vids, angles, and commentary. I too initially thought the commentary was a little wacky but over tons and tons of videos I absolutely love it as is.

I would say that occasionally the volumes are low, I can hear poor room acoustics, and graininess. The filming is great...but on some audio using pop filters (I can hear plosives on some vids), and setting a limiter/compression could help out. SpinTV goes the opposite way and slams the #&$( out of their audio to get it loud as balls, so don't go that far. Just constructively saying that the video is of higher quality than the audio, but don't change the commentary style!

Thanks for the feedback guys! Audio is something I'm really working on improving, but it's taken some trial and error. I promise I'll get it right eventually. Sidewinder just hooked me up with a great deal on a new mic, and it's taken some tweaking to get the setting right. Also I just got the whole Adobe suite so I have access to more sound tools now.

Commentary too. If I say something that bugs the crap out you, just let me know nicely and I'll try to quit it. Be as specific as you can. Please bear (bare?) in mind I'm a person too and put a lot of myself into the commentary. I sometimes tend to take crits a little too personally when it comes to that.

In some other CCDG news we're starting up a podcast too with some reddit discgolf friends. First episode we're recording tomorrow. I actually lined up a pretty cool guest to come on. (ok that's a lie, it's the coolest person ever). Any questions for him? Yes it's who you think it is.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys! Audio is something I'm really working on improving, but it's taken some trial and error. I promise I'll get it right eventually. Sidewinder just hooked me up with a great deal on a new mic, and it's taken some tweaking to get the setting right. Also I just got the whole Adobe suite so I have access to more sound tools now.

Cool, I don't do video but I do lots of audio...PM me if trial and error is too frustrating and you have any questions that maybe I can help out with easier than trying to learn on your own.

Keep up the great work!! I personally love the casual yet informative style.

Question: Without giving up too much personal information, how are you able to get around to the tournaments, film, edit, etc, etc, without seriously impacting your paying job, home life, etc?

Cool, I don't do video but I do lots of audio...PM me if trial and error is too frustrating and you have any questions that maybe I can help out with easier than trying to learn on your own.

Thanks man I might take you up on that!

Keep up the great work!! I personally love the casual yet informative style.

Question: Without giving up too much personal information, how are you able to get around to the tournaments, film, edit, etc, etc, without seriously impacting your paying job, home life, etc?

Thanks!

A saint of a wife (that takes care of our 21 month old by herself while I'm gone). Gonna grab some flowers and chocolate on the way home today, thanks for the reminder! :p

The company I work for is really awesome. We get 4 weeks of vacation + every other Friday off. My real job is an Industrial Engineer for a big fast food company, but they found out what I do in my spare time, and now i'm shooting and editing video at work too. Really cool!

My boss is awesome too.

Commentary too. If I say something that bugs the crap out you, just let me know nicely and I'll try to quit it. Be as specific as you can. Please bear (bare?) in mind I'm a person too and put a lot of myself into the commentary. I sometimes tend to take crits a little too personally when it comes to that.
Don't change any of your commentary! Not everyone appreciates greatness (some people actually don't like McBeth on here, I know crazy) so it's impossible to win over everyone on everything. I think the fact that the majority of your feedback is highly positive proves your greatness.

Don't change any of your commentary! Not everyone appreciates greatness (some people actually don't like McBeth on here, I know crazy) so it's impossible to win over everyone on everything. I think the fact that the majority of your feedback is highly positive proves your greatness.

Firstly, your videos are my favorite, hands down.

If you get a chance ("in your spare time"), I would love to see some "in the bag" videos with pro women. The top women are better than me, but they are closer to my skill level and distance than the men so it is more interesting to see what they throw.

Thanks for all the good work, your efforts are greatly appreciated!

Seconded (or thirded, haven't read whole thread yet)...

I vote for Sarah Hokom - perhaps even ask her about all the worlds drama.

Also, love the shunned Innova discs idea :)

Latest posts