• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Central Coast Disc Golf - CCDG vids

It's beyond obvious that you thoroughly enjoy what you're doing, and part of that includes putting yourself in the commentary, so I'd say don't change too much there. It's probably a huge part of how we identify you now and it would be a shame to lose that in my opinion. Sure little tweaks here and there can help, but don't turn into a robot with your commentary...please.

And, as always, thanks for providing us with the content that you do. It is greatly appreciated.

Love the CCDG style.

If listeners can tell you are having fun it will work. Sports are boring in general thats why characters sell so well within them from the john maddens to the michael buffers.

Keep up the good work and staerill! ;)

Just to chime in, I love the commentary style. I feel like you're one of my group, talking about the game the way my friends and I do. It makes your work approachable and fun. Much gratitude for what you do.
Bang Bang!

I have to say that I enjoy the videos. The worst part, though, is the commentary. It's decidedly amateurish. It's better than the commentary provided by some other video producers, certainly, yet still the most irritating part of the coverage for me.

I have to say that I enjoy the videos. The worst part, though, is the commentary. It's decidedly amateurish

Yeah, I'd hate for someone's amateur side hobby to come off as amateurish :doh:

Love your commentary Ian. I think the laid back style is quintessentially disc golf. I'd hate for people to start acting like serious sports broadcasters.

I enjoy all aspects of CCDG's coverage. Their commentary is informative and inviting. The camerawork is spot on. The editing, graphics, sound all are professional grade. They cover some of the most desirable events in disc golf. They turn out videos in lighting time. Hats off CCDG!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for filming Worlds this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was having a few withdrawal symptoms from the European Open, but you guys have cured me!

It's got to be a tremendous sacrifice to do what you do, and I thank you so much for the time and effort you put in.

I have to say that I enjoy the videos. The worst part, though, is the commentary. It's decidedly amateurish. It's better than the commentary provided by some other video producers, certainly, yet still the most irritating part of the coverage for me.

Please don't listen to this dude. He/she offers no specifics on what to change, and seems unaware of the positive consensus that there is for your commentary style. I even wonder whether the comment was meant to be sarcastic?

I love your chipper and knowledgeable commentary for the reasons that have been listed by the many before me. If I were to voice a criticism, I'd give a small one about a few of the post-round interviews that I've seen. In these, I've found some of the question delivery to be a bit rushed, almost like you don't want to be taking up too much of the players' time? The pace of question delivery in these post-round interviews might even be the same as the pace in your AMA vids, but I haven't been bothered by any quickness in the AMAs. This might be because you are off screen or because there are multiple quick cuts to match any quickness in speech. But in the post-round interviews, I'd simply consider relaxing the pace a bit.

Otherwise, really love your stuff. If I were to grade it as a whole, I'd say 96% :thmbup:

Thanks so much!

O ****, thanks for reminding me! I'll see what Derek's schedule is looking like. Hopefully this week, but next week might be more realistic. I usually do those after the kiddo goes to bed, but we've been falling asleep at the same time :p (hellllo east coast time)

LOL, considering the amount of work you've put in, no worries man :D And hey, look on the bright side of east coast time; you can be so much more productive during the mornings :|

That would be so fun! Kevin and I just filmed a doubles round up on the Central Coast. Next time Terry/Marty/Jomez/TheDiscEye/PHP and I will be in the same location, I'll see if they're down. Or maybe Derek and I can play doubles with Paul and some other pro this winter (dreaming big here).

Why not you and Derek playing doubles against only Paul, but he gets three discs and a putting putter lol? :D

I'll say this: To your point, I will admit that I withheld a similar constructive criticism.

I have been watching CCDG vids for a while now and, at first, I found the Cali surfer (cool dude) thing to be a bit distracting and a little shticky. But hey, I'm a southern boy with a drawl, so I chaulked it up to diversity or whatever. It also made me feel old, like I was too mature or not hip enough to watch. All that being said, I have come to find their colloquialization completely genuine, endearing, and furthermore a bit refreshing when oposed to the "norm" of sports commentary.

To me that is exactly what makes them unique and iconic. Its kind of the "hook", if you will, to use a music term. If it were done in the same voice like professional golf, for example, I would likely fall asleep watching. The overwhelming positivity that comes through is also nice. I'm super competitive, and partially why I don't follow sports like I used to is that it keeps my blood pressure down lol. The commentary of NFL football for example highlights the drama, controversy, and aggressiveness of the sport. While this also serves to hook viewers, its not what I want out of Disc Golf. Disc Golf has served as a sport to feed my competitive spirit, while also offering serenity. I'm glad that CCDG is able to capture that Spirit of the Sport within their commentary. Everywhere I have played DG the folks I have met represent a "brotherhood" type of sport with a sense of community more than any other sport I have participated in. I also feel like this is captured in the commentary of CCDG better than others I have seen.

I completely agree actually; the first couple CCDG vids I watched I didn't exactly enjoy the commentary, but now I absolutely love it lol. It definitely adds to the videos, and the somewhat off the wall comment moments ("tickle tickle no love" etc) are genuine and funny, unlike the things Crazy says in DGP live, which feel like he's just trying to be, well, Crazy (hopefully that makes sense). And I just realized this comparison lol: Stuart Scott. I remember when ESPN was looping all those tribute reels to him they kept saying he brought some of that "hip-hop flavor" or w/e they called it to the commentary, and now a lot of the SC anchors use that. Definitely keep it up :thmbup:

Also, please let us know when you get the T-shirts up in the store; I've actually been wanting to add a Fuzion Judge to the bag, and I see those in the store, so that and a t-shirt would be pretty epic :hfive:

You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm sure there's some who agree with you. However, there is a mute button, after all, and you could just press that and play some music instead.

You're entitled to WRONGyour opinion
FTFY. :D

LOL, I'd have to agree personally, but eh, people are gonna feel the way they're gonna feel about things. To me, so many people have expressed they enjoy the commentary, that it would be a bad idea for CCDG to listen to people who tell them to quit doing the awesome color commentary. I mean, is there really any precedent for removing personality from sports broadcasting? John Madden, Dick Vitale, anyone on College Gameday, Darrell Waltrip, Stuart Scott, etc, all have their own particular style, so I don't feel like CCDG is any different from these guys. :hfive:

In commentating you never want to try and be something you are not. You have to be yourself or it won't seem right to the audience. I understand some of the criticism here about your delivery. When I'm watching your videos my wife calls you the surfer dudes. Perhaps that can be toned back a bit, I'm not sure, just don't stop being yourselves.

Look at football commentators like John Madden and John Gruden. You shouldn't be able to understand John Madden with the way he talks, but he had such an insight for the game that it came through to the audience. John Gruden has some bad verbal crutches but his passion for the game is infectious and it grabs you.

I guess if I had to make a suggestion I would say maybe clean up the play by play, make that a little more professional, but for the side commentary keep it loose. But I will still be happy if I keep seeing the same style of videos as you have been putting out recently.

Love your videos! Your commentary doesn't bother me in the least, yes, sometimes it's a little goofy, but I would rather have that the ridiculous over the top grandiosity of some sports or the whispering over seriousness of others.

Also really like the vids where you show what the players are throwing. I've learned a lot about the game from that info alone. When I first started out, who knew you could throw "X" disc on "Y" hole!

Keep up the good work!

So, my guess for the Podcast special guest is Doss. When do I get my shirt?

Close, but this guy has one more world championship. :) He won it pretty recently too.

I can't belive no one has any questions for him.

Good news is you get a shirt anyway. Email me your size and address!

LOL, I'd have to agree personally, but eh, people are gonna feel the way they're gonna feel about things. To me, so many people have expressed they enjoy the commentary, that it would be a bad idea for CCDG to listen to people who tell them to quit doing the awesome color commentary. I mean, is there really any precedent for removing personality from sports broadcasting? John Madden, Dick Vitale, anyone on College Gameday, Darrell Waltrip, Stuart Scott, etc, all have their own particular style, so I don't feel like CCDG is any different from these guys. :hfive:

Love your videos! Your commentary doesn't bother me in the least, yes, sometimes it's a little goofy, but I would rather have that the ridiculous over the top grandiosity of some sports or the whispering over seriousness of others.

Also really like the vids where you show what the players are throwing. I've learned a lot about the game from that info alone. When I first started out, who knew you could throw "X" disc on "Y" hole!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks! That perspective is really interesting. The disc info I like, but I can see how it's even more useful it is if you're new to the game. I'll do my best on this going forward.

This has been a seriously interesting conversation about our commentary. Thanks for keeping it civil! I actually think our commentary has gotten slightly less "amatuerish" over the years, but still fun. (Side note, has anyone seen the very first CCDG vid? Cringeworthy) A lot of people don't like that we laugh or crack jokes, but they laugh and crack jokes during the frieken Masters broadcast. Sportscasting should be part humor in my opinion. It gets boring otherwise.

It's really funny you guys bring up Sportscenter and football guys. Those two sources are probably my biggest inspirations for how I commentate. I was a huge Sportscenter addict growing up, and it's always on in the background now while I edit.

Cheers, and thanks for all the feedback! Good and otherwise.

You definitely have some Dan Patrick/Neil Everett esque humor at times. Personally I love it. I turn down a lot of sports commentary because they're dumbing it down for the masses and aren't particularly entertaining anyway. So if you already understand the sport they don't add very much.

With you guys it honestly reminds me of the banter my buddies and I have while drinking a beer and watching a game. I think that adds more than cut and dry serious commentary. Keep up the good work!

So I'm guessing it's Paul McBeth then lol

I've got a few questions:

How do you see the Mako3 in your bag, and how is it different from the McPro Roc3? Do you see it getting dropped again when you've beat some Champ Roc3's in enough?

What feels more special, the EO performance where he won with the hurt back, Portland Worlds with that epic playoff, or this years Worlds where he posted back to back course records?

What is the most underrated disc that Innova makes?

What one Innova disc that you don't throw now would you consider adding to your bag, either for a really specific shot or just for the heck of it?

Do you ever try to do trick shots like Simon, or is that more his thing?

Do you feel like a lot of baseball form and technique translates over to disc golf? It seems like a lot of pitching and batting technique translates similarly to throwing discs.

NFL or college football, and why? Who do you pull for?

As to what you said about commentary, yes it's definitely come a long way since the beginning; heck, even since Worlds last year. I really like how you guys have cleaned it up a lot while still keeping that West Coast vibe to it.

Latest posts