• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Changing putters...again...

Aviar, Wizard, Ion for me. Whenever I do feel like switching things up, I usually switch between a S proton Ion, 2nd run Ion, or Medium Ion. Mostly depends on what stability and gumminess I want in my putter.

Wizard is my bread and butter, it's made from an Aviar mold but has a different bead. DX Aviar is a thing of beauty once allowed to break in.

Champ Rhyno to R-Pro Aivar to BS Challengers and I never looked back.

I also keep a Zone for wind and utility duties and am testing out a Pure for fun.

Serious putters, not just trials, I've used Challengers, Voodoos, Magnets, KC Pro Aviars, Omegas. I have settled (for the moment) on Omegas for putting and KC Pro Aviars for approaches. I like the Omega AP for drives and most putts and Omega SS for long or anny putts.

I have tried:
Soft X Challenger
FLX Challenger
Z Putte'r
Pro-D Magnet
Z Magnet
Pro-D Ringer
Zepher
D P1
S P2
DX Aviar
Aviar P&A
Champ Aviar
JK Aviar-X
KC Pro Aviar
DX Birdie
R-Pro Dart
Star Dart
DX Hydra
Pro Pig
Pro Rhyno
R-Pro Rhyno
Star Rhyno
Rubber Putter
OG Magic
HPP Voodoo
M Voodoo
OG Voodoo
S Voodoo
SS Voodoo
SSS Voodoo
Evo Wizard
HPP Wizard
S Wizard
SS Wizard
OG Wizard
Gripline Pure
Zeroline Spike
Gripline Sinus
Sirus Omega
Suregrip Omega AP
Omega SS

Probably missing a few, but i think that's most of them. Definately an Archer not the arrow problem. Oh yeah, an Aerobie Arrow.

Serious putters, not just trials, I've used Challengers, Voodoos, Magnets, KC Pro Aviars, Omegas. I have settled (for the moment) on Omegas for putting and KC Pro Aviars for approaches. I like the Omega AP for drives and most putts and Omega SS for long or anny putts.

I have tried:
Soft X Challenger
FLX Challenger
Z Putte'r
Pro-D Magnet
Z Magnet
Pro-D Ringer
Zepher
D P1
S P2
DX Aviar
Aviar P&A
Champ Aviar
JK Aviar-X
KC Pro Aviar
DX Birdie
R-Pro Dart
Star Dart
DX Hydra
Pro Pig
Pro Rhyno
R-Pro Rhyno
Star Rhyno
Rubber Putter
OG Magic
HPP Voodoo
M Voodoo
OG Voodoo
S Voodoo
SS Voodoo
SSS Voodoo
Evo Wizard
HPP Wizard
S Wizard
SS Wizard
OG Wizard
Gripline Pure
Zeroline Spike
Gripline Sinus
Sirus Omega
Suregrip Omega AP
Omega SS

Probably missing a few, but i think that's most of them. Definately an Archer not the arrow problem. Oh yeah, an Aerobie Arrow.

This is awesome.

And yes, I know that practice, like many have said, will result in improvement. But there is also a major confidence issue to it, and when I can tweak something and feel better about it, even if it is by having to change putters, then so be it.

Also, I want to get better at driving my putters, and having a putter that also comes in premium plastics gives me more confidence off the tee.

I used a ridge for a good year, lost it, used an aviar for a few months, then another ridge for a good year.

Then, because of a bad streak of poor putting, I bought some Ions. Used those for a few months.

Then, I realized that was a horrible mistake, traded them all away, and am back to the ridge. Couldn't be happier. I bought the Ions out of pure boredom; was a huge mistake.

I too putt with the Ridge most of the time (VP or Summit sometimes).

I too bought 5 Ions. I wouldn't call it a huge mistake. I know the Vibram putters are the best ones for my game. I currently have 13 different putter molds. I use 4 at the most, carry the Vibram 3 almost all the time.

I have tried:
Soft X Challenger
FLX Challenger
Z Putte'r
Pro-D Magnet
Z Magnet
Pro-D Ringer
Zepher
D P1
S P2
DX Aviar
Aviar P&A
Champ Aviar
JK Aviar-X
KC Pro Aviar
DX Birdie
R-Pro Dart
Star Dart
DX Hydra
Pro Pig
Pro Rhyno
R-Pro Rhyno
Star Rhyno
Rubber Putter
OG Magic
HPP Voodoo
M Voodoo
OG Voodoo
S Voodoo
SS Voodoo
SSS Voodoo
Evo Wizard
HPP Wizard
S Wizard
SS Wizard
OG Wizard
Gripline Pure
Zeroline Spike
Gripline Sinus
Sirus Omega
Suregrip Omega AP
Omega SS

DAMN!

So I used the Aviar P&A all week, and I don't know why I ever bought another putter. I now have DXs in 150 and 170, plus a 175 Glow Champ for short drives and upshots. There's a reason this disc has stood the test of time...

well I have changed putters quite a bit in the last 2 years.

banger gt's
ridge
summit
arrow
challenger
wizard
voodoo
aero
ion
xd
aviar PnA

and have settled on big bead aviars.

I mostly use the kc ones

colder and or wet weather Ill use the jk's for added grip.

been using them for 6 months now and loving it

took me 4 years and i went from ...

Omega SS
Warlocks
Wizards
Focus
RHyno
BB Aviars ...

NOw i putt with Pro Rhynos .. & drive with BB Dx Aviars ..

Since I started playing i putted with
Aviars
magnets
voodoos
challengers
wizards
ions- never looked back once I started putting with these. Especially my black soft 2nd run. It my $$$putter

I have tried several different putters. I still have almost all of them. I keep them in a bag that I use for putting practice. I can honestly say that when I am on it really doesn't matter what putter I have in my hand with just a few exceptions. I currently putt with a zero line pure in most situations, and a basic jokeri when it gets windy. I picked those 2 because those are the most comfortable in my hand. And they feel almost identical to each other. I drive with a premium jokeri. Probably the most used non putting disc in my bag. Although I have an opto pure on the way. It might just replace the premium jokeri for driving.

Quick question, i see people on here saying they throw KC Pro Aviars, I throw a JK Pro, is there any difference between the two? if so, what is it? they both have the same flight rating from Innova

I was like you in the fact I must have tried every putter out there, but then I found THE ONE! and haven't tried another since. The putter that worked for me was the APX swirl. It has that nice tacky feel, but is still rigid. To bad the "swirl" machine kept breaking down. After the final break, Discraft said enough! and stopped making the APX in Swirl. Thank God my hoarding paid off this time. Over time I bought approx 15+ before people started to gouge you for an APX swirl.
So you're not alone, but once you find "the one". You're puttin jouney will end........well, maybe :)

Was giving a DGA Reef when I started. Used it for a while.
Then I picked up a Rubber Putter and a Sinus SP. Used both a while, then dropped the Rubber Putter.
Just used the Sinus a long time.
Realized I need sometime straighter, got a R-Pro Dart when they were released.
Bought some Ridges when they came out, switched to those. Dropped the sinus completely.
Used Ridges an entire season. Got my only ace with one. Starting looking for something with a little more glide.
Both a couple Soft APXs. Felt like coming home to the reef. Only softer (since it is).
Starting off this season horribly. Borrowed a couple Magnets to try out. Bought an Ion. Tried it for a round. Realized how rediculous I was being.

Rebagged the APXs and Sinus SPs. Never touching another putter again unless I am handing someone theirs. Almost as much as my wife, I am grateful I never let them get away.

I've used three different putters since I started playing. My first putter was the XD which I used for about the first two or three months of playing. It seemed to me that the XD had a tendency to roll pretty badly when I missed which was often, so I switched to a Focus. I used the focus for about six months and was really happy with it however the next one I bought didn't feel anything like my first one so I decided to try an Aviar. I settled on the Yeti because of the feel of it and I've been using that since and I'm dead set on sticking with it. I've got a stack of backups and it seems like the Yeti is pretty consistent as far as the feel of the plastic. I have noticed that the flight plates differ somewhat as far as how concave they are and I like mine to be very concave.

Changing putters

I agree that they are all very similar in flight. However they release differently according to how they feel in your hand. I generally like an Aviar type mold and have changed putters many times back and forth. Yesterday a new soft Sole by Vibram came in the mail. This has an Aviar like shape but with the Vibram type soft material. It is a bit different to throw from a stiff plastic but what is nice is when it hits something all of its energy is absorbed and therefore it doesn't bounce much. If you hit the top of the basket it doesn't go flying off but collapses by the basket. I'm thinking the firm would be pretty much like Gateways Stupid Soft, only much more durable. I did use a Magic for a long time and I like how they are a bit less stable than something like a KC Pro Aviar. If you don't Nancy them in and throw them hard than this difference doesn't matter. Note to self: learn to Nancy them in less.

The biggest change I've made up to this point is switching from a Wizard/Warlock combo to an Ion/Anode combo. And I still carry my old W/W when it's rainy out (slick MVP is noone's friend). I've never really taken other putters out for trial runs. I've fondled a bunch, sure. But if it feels good in your hand, that's all you need to start practicing.

Personally, I think the more you convince yourself you need to try a different putter, the less confidence you will have in your actual ability. To me putting is 50% confidence, 40% technique, and 10% the disc itself.