• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Changing putters...again...

onemilemore

* Ace Member *
I decided tonight that I am changing putters for the 85,767,842nd time this year. And I blame the Discmania Deep in the Game video.

After watching that video, and being a sucker for marketing, I started looking into Discmania putters, which led me back to my old Aviar P&A that I got with the Innova starter set. It is light, but it is a little gummy and I was draining putts with it tonight, so I am going back for a bit. Plus, I like to approach more with my putter than any other disc, and the availability of it in a higher end plastic is appealing.

So, how often do people here change their putters? Is it a confidence thing, or do people commit long term? I am curious...

Never have changed. Hydra has been it. Bought it as a newb because my home course is around a lot of water and I like the thick rim. Now it is still my favorite disc in the bag and I use it for drives, most of my approaches and all putts.
I have the confidence invested in it so that when I start missing putts I know it is me not the disc that is letting me down.

I haven't changed putter molds. I feel like with putting the disc doesn't matter that much as long. The only requirement for me is that it feels good in my hands and when I release it. I putt with Wizards but I pretty much like any beaded putter. What made me chose Wizards over the others was the feel of the plastic. I love the grip.

That being said I think what gives you the most confidence stepping up to the basket is the best putter. I don't think any putter mold is superior to another and within 30ft from my experience the flight is almost the exact same from mold to mold.

I'm settled on the Anode for now but in my 5~ months of play I have moved from DX Aviar (beginner, 150) to SSS Wizzy to beat-to-hell Ion (bought used) to 12x KC Aviar (amazing driving putter) and now I'm here. Considering hitting up the Opto Pure when it comes out-i *love* L64, and have long thought about going straight Latitude for my bag, except Buzzz's of course ;)

Anyway, I change a lot. I am also a sucker for marketing :p

I used a ridge for a good year, lost it, used an aviar for a few months, then another ridge for a good year.

Then, because of a bad streak of poor putting, I bought some Ions. Used those for a few months.

Then, I realized that was a horrible mistake, traded them all away, and am back to the ridge. Couldn't be happier. I bought the Ions out of pure boredom; was a huge mistake.

my putting sucks period

I've changed putters about 8 or so times

right now I'm having a shizzy period of putting again
I'm tempted to switch to Pro D Zones

but I KNOW it is not the putter

it is me

I need to work through it
practice, concentrate, practice, modify technique as needed

I started with a champ rhyno and was money from 30 ft and in. Got talked into trying a pro-d challenger but just didn't feel right in my hand and couldn't make putts outside of 10 ft for a good two weeks with it. I switched back to my champ rhyno and was money again but eventually learned to putt with the challenger even though I use my rhyno again. A lot of time I think it's in your head because when I missed my first putt with the challenger I thought "oh sh*t I shouldn't have gone away from my rhyno". So it's either one of two things, it doesn't matter what putter you use because you need to have confidence in whatever putter you choose to use or I'm just a complete nut case.

magic,ion,magic.

:| used the magic for probably all but a month of my dg career. as soon as i felt one it was love.

Started with an Aviar P&A that I bought at a sports authority before I knew what disc golf really was. Threw it in a creek and switched to Soft Challengers. Then I decided to start pitch putting so I use S Wizards, but I still throw my old beat Soft Challenger for drives (have my only ace with it).

Aviar for the first month. Moved to Wizards for the next 2-3 years. Ions for the next 6-9 months, and now with the Anode since its release. I feel like I could be successful with many different putters, but I like MVP and am having success with the Anodes so far. I don't see moving away from MVP for putters anytime soon.

I used my Aviar P&A for 4 years before I made the switch to the soft ion.

If you live in SoCal I would highly recommend going to discoveringtheworld. I went there trying to decide what putter to try and the guy handed me a stack of 10 putters to go try outside at the practice basket.

It was the best thing I could have done. In my opinion it is best to find a putter and stick with it for consistency, so if you are trying to decide that's the place to go.

I think (most) everyone experiments with putters to some degree when they start just to get the feel for what the different putters fly like and what will fit their style, if they have even developed one at that point.

I changed a few times since playing pretty seriously. BangerGT, KC Pro Aviar, Magic, and now the Challenger which I've been with for a couple of years.

It took me a little while to really learn that I didn't like big beaded putters which led me to the magic - which I switched from when I got sick of never finding any more of the run I liked. Partially my mistake since I had some protos which I was putting with all the time. I also wanted something a bit more stable for heavy winds.

The challenger provided me with a putter that's good off the tee, small beaded, easy to find in plastic I prefer, and very good in windy conditions. I don't see myself ever switching at this point just because it will take some looking to find something that meets all of those requirements again.

i've been putting with the same wizard for almost two years. i have no plans on using anything else until it breaks in half. when that happens, i've got a stack of carbon copies i've been beating down

the wizard started at 174. now its 170...it lost weight from all the dings and nicks it has, plus the bead is drastically worn away

I've tried lots of putters but only a few have stayed in the bag longer than a couple of weeks. Right now I'm loving the Clutch. It's been in the bag for a couple of months. Before that I used the Wizard, KC Aviar and Challenger the longest.

Started with a magnet. Since then have thrown a challenger, aviar, rattler, banger gt, back to the aviar, back to the magnet, then to the roc... finally settled on the ringer for the past 3 years.

I think (most) everyone experiments with putters to some degree when they start just to get the feel for what the different putters fly like and what will fit their style, if they have even developed one at that point.

This is what happened with me. I tried about 5 or 6 different molds at first then found one I really liked. That was in 1988 and still use the same mold w/12 back ups/practice putters.
In 1998 I found a ching Aviar that I liked a lot and added that as a stable putter. Since 1998 I have used the same 2 putters.

Once you find a mold that feels right and flies the way you like stay with it. Don't change putters when you go through a bad streak, it's not the putter. :)

Interesting responses. I am glad I am not the only one who changes putters like they change underwear.

I think it is a confidence issue. I go in streaks of good putting, but I know I am not an all-around good putter, so when I falter a new putter gives me a chance to reboot, so to speak.

Unless you are really practicing a lot with a new putter the confidence will be short-lived. Confidence gained through practice will last.