• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] CMD2: Adequate replacement for Champion Shark?

kevdiv48

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
I lost my forest green Champ Shark today (Guess where...) and am looking to get a replacement. Is a CMD2 an adequate replacement, if not what differences are there? Or are there other discs out there that would better serve as a replacement?
I know Champ sharks aren't that rare on the Marketplace, just looking for something in production that is cheaper.
For reference, I threw my shark for pretty much every drive between 250 and 300, covering straight, right and left shots.

Yeah, CMD2 is a very good mid. Right turning shots might be tougher, MD2 throwers generally throw a PMD2 or DMD2 if you can find them, for that.

pretty much what BroD said. for straight and right to left shots the CMD2 is a better disc than the Champ Shark but unless you want to take the time to really beat one in it won't be easy to work it left to right just because of its stability out of the box. you can throw annys with it but it'll generally fade out at the end, it's definitely not a turnover disc until you beat the crap out of it.

the CMD2 is IMO one of the best driving mids i've thrown. it holds lines really well and if you find a nice flat one it cuts through wind. personally i pair mine with a mako which i use for more touch shots and annys.

Note that they said get a flat one (not buzzz flat), check stock or have the place online check for you. If you end up with a domey one, well it's not what the mold should fly like.

Everyone has given you great options to pair it with, I will say add a fuse, but any of the other choices would be fantastic.

I personally prefer nothing but the champion shark for anything 250-350. Just holds a very straight line, and works for hyzer shots too - gotta beat the hell out of one for annies though. I tried throwing a bunch of Rocs - DX, R-pro and KC mainly. But once you beat one in its good for annies, and out of the box a good stable mid range. But in my honest opinion champion sharks cannot be matched - I tried a star shark as well and I must say its just not the same.

A buzzz could also be a good replacement, unless you're trying to stick with the "Evil Empire" lol.

A buzzz could also be a good replacement, unless you're trying to stick with the "Evil Empire" lol.

D or X buzzz maybe but a meteor or comet would be more in the vein of what he is looking for. Maybe a flying squirrel (sp?), mako, lycan, coyote, aurora ms.

What distance range are you wanting this disc to cover?

D or X buzzz maybe but a meteor or comet would be more in the vein of what he is looking for. Maybe a flying squirrel (sp?), mako, lycan, coyote, aurora ms.

What distance range are you wanting this disc to cover?

I guess I should have put a Z buzzz, as you can get them in pearly, opaque, or transparent z plastic, similar to the champ sharks that are either pearly, opaque, or transparent.

for me a champ shark flew like i always had a fresh kc pro roc .. but yeah like bro,new and others have said i think a C-MD2 would just work fine too.. plus its champion like plastic vs kc.. fwiw i sold two pearly green champ sharks to slickwheels on here he may still have them if you want to check

Hmm okay so for straight shots, when you throw an axis at 75-80% power and the line you get. Well you get the same line for C_MD2 and full power.

Not sure if that was clear, but basically full power, pick a C-MD2, when you need to power down, your probably better served by an axis... its why some people have both in their bag.

^^^agreed. The CMD2 really is a driving mid, but that's not to say you're always going full out drive with it. I use mine mainly for drives where a lot of people would probably be using a driver just because i can throw mine 350. It's a very accurate disc in those situations and can hold a really nice line for a long ways.

I still use it for shots down to 250' sometimes although mainly these are shots where i want to go straight and finish left or on a hyzer line. I also use it for annys where I want my disc to fade out at the end so I get an S curve.

Personally I use my Axis at this point where I want to go really straight through a tight gap because it's really easy to power down the Axis and get that super straight flight, for me however when you power up the Axis it's not as easy to get that straight flight and mine has beat in to the point where it's turning right at the end when you put power to it.

Despite what people say I think the CMD2 still has more glide than the Axis, I've always been able to drive my CMD2 10-15ft farther than the Axis on average. Plus the CMD2 is far superior in wind over the Axis.

This thread makes me want to try a cmd2. Are they anything like an axis?

Kind of. If you have an Axis that's easy to flip and shape a C-MD2 would be a good complement. You can really put your keister into a MD2 w/o turning it over and get straight lines all day. To me, a C-MD2 is like the Roc and the Buzz had a baby. Dependable lines like a Roc, deceptively long like a Buzz. MD2 and Fuse would be a great pairing IMO.

Kind of. If you have an Axis that's easy to flip and shape a C-MD2 would be a good complement. You can really put your keister into a MD2 w/o turning it over and get straight lines all day. To me, a C-MD2 is like the Roc and the Buzz had a baby. Dependable lines like a Roc, deceptively long like a Buzz. MD2 and Fuse would be a great pairing IMO.

that's my axis in a nutshell. Do these discs vary in flattness much?

Much, hmm how to say this. naw... let me get pictures for you tonight of relatively flat and domey as &&%$. That way you can have a good idea of it, I will get a picture next to a Buzzz for comparison.

Much, hmm how to say this. naw... let me get pictures for you tonight of relatively flat and domey as &&%$. That way you can have a good idea of it, I will get a picture next to a Buzzz for comparison.

sweet. I'm guessing somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot?

you want the flat ones. They wont be buzzz flat, but if you see a domey one, run away, its only good as a water dish for your dog. The domey ones are glideless bricks.

okay picutres. First Run Buzzz Purple/Pink Gummy C-MD2/Yellow Domey C-MD2.

027.jpg

026.jpg

025.jpg

I believe this should give you an idea on what to look for.

Latest posts