• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Collectible Discs?

The price of Anthon Destroyers is completely out of hand.
I'm of the opinion that most older Destroyers 2nd hand price is out of hand. I bought a brand new 3 line AJ Destroyer off the shelf at Play it Again the other day only to find out that even those are going way up in price. Just looked at the weight, PLH and dome like any other Destroyer and bought it because it was blue. (Has thing for blue discs) There were McBeth Destroyers in there too that looked identical, just the wrong color. Had that AJ been orange for example, I wouldn't have bought it.

Last edited:
But guys, CE eagles fly so great. Let the CE fly and fulfill
It's destiny!!!

Seriously though, I have one CE disc because I wanted to see what the hype was all about. It's more overstable, feels nice, and flies great. I won't buy another because I just don't care to. Collect them, throw them, whatever. It's not my stuff so I don't get a say with what people do with them.

Life is too short to throw boring discs. Every disc in my bag is a little special to me in some way, I don't think that's unusual. As long as people throw discs competitively, there will be people who collect them.

I use an old Hard Pro D Magnet that is stiff as a board, probably would be worth something if it was not so beat in, it is one of the Pro D discs made before 2006 so they were stiff as well as hard, then in 2006 they made the Pro D discs a bit softer in the plastic especially in the putters something I did not like as a replacement came to me this way. Now they have the Tough but Flexible Jawbreaker Magnets, I use on with Ring Drawn up on it in Permanent marker as I use the ring for help with my thumb placement on the D Magnets. I still have the Hard Stiff D Magnet as my disc for very hot and very windy shots. Now as for true Collectible disc I have a 12 time ROC in Ivory with the color Ice-bowl stamp in 2009 with full color stamp I do not throw it, one the disc is 180 grams and is a ROC something I have never thrown well anyhow Can throw a Classic ROC fine but that is a separate disc mold altogether. I find that any disc that is like a ROC I have trouble throwing, I use a Shark instead as it gets to the same point as a ROC or Wasp or Compass. I gave up on using a ROC or ROC like disc when I found I could not throw a Wasp and was able to for a bit but then for some reason just couldn't anymore. The 12x Ice-bowl Disc from 2008 with Full Color Stamp is that sombody online is asking $40 US for the disc so I think it is an expensive disc. I also used for years a rare g9i Wizard that I stopped using becuse I only used it for one type of shot and my max weight old Pro Shark could do as well as other shots for the Shark, have a Star one as well and if I lost the Old Pro Shark I would get another new Star Shark Max weight.

I had just finished a round and found a 11x KC Pro Cheetah at the practice basket. No name, no number.
Held it for several weeks, asking around, but did not find an owner.
So I threw it. LOVED IT. Did not know of any production discs that could duplicate that flight
Immediately found out that it was collectible and overpriced. Didn't care. Went out and bought enough over the next few years to last a lifetime. I was patient and got most of them for below market value, but I paid extra because it was collectible. It was worth it to me to get that go-to disc that I loved.

2 Points I want to make.
First, there are sometimes legitimate reasons why sane people pay extra for some discs. Small runs, OOP's, etc.
Second, (to re-state what others have already said) I have a few discs that I will never throw, but I got them for reasons that are important to me. My money, my choice, my business.

CE plastic that was not stored properly will loose its flexibility (which unfortunately are the discs many unload on ebay), however CE stored in a cool, dark, and dry environment will be as fresh as the day the flashing was cut. There is a reason these discs fetch the prices they do, and prestige pricing is some of but not all of it.

If a 13 year old driver is still in your bag and hasn't failed.......WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT THAT PLASTIC?!?!?!?!?!?!:wall:

Star, Champ, ESP, Gold Line, Opto and virtually any other modern premium plastic will be around in 13 years as well. I think people romanticize CE a bit too much.

It says if you throw it into the first tree on the hole, it'll explode into a thousand tiny pieces

I have only ever had one CE disc break on me and it was one I bought second hand that was obviously not stored properly. It felt dry and brittle, almost dx like. All of the CE I have that I personally kept from when they were stock in my basement are just like they were when purchased.

Nailed it.

Every person on earth spends his money on what he wants, not what he needs.

Some people want rare or cool - looking discs and are willing to pay more. It's more fun for them. Isn't this game supposed to be fun?

And I guarantee the guy who scoffs at people paying premium prices for discs is paying premium prices for something else in his life.

Absolutely ridiculous statement. In the words of Mick Jagger "You don't always get what you want, you get what you need."
I have just enough disc to keep my bag full of what I use regularly. I have a few found discs that I use for water shots. If I lose a disc from my normal rotation, I buy one to replace it. I have neither the time nor inclination to collect a bunch of stuff I will never use.

I agree somewhat that many people buy what they want. But to generalize and say every person on earth buys what they want is foolish.

Absolutely ridiculous statement. In the words of Mick Jagger "You don't always get what you want, you get what you need."
I have just enough disc to keep my bag full of what I use regularly. I have a few found discs that I use for water shots. If I lose a disc from my normal rotation, I buy one to replace it. I have neither the time nor inclination to collect a bunch of stuff I will never use.

I agree somewhat that many people buy what they want. But to generalize and say every person on earth buys what they want is foolish.

OK, there might have been a bit of hyperbole in "every person on earth," but the basic point doesn't change. Most people will choose to spend money on things they want, even to the point of sacrificing things they need.

Case in point: many years ago I had a friend who drove around with a 50-mile/50 MPH donut spare tire on his car for months. Why? Said he couldn't "afford a new tire right now."

Yet, he could afford to drive that donut spare to the bar every night to drink beer.

He needed the tire, but he wanted the beer.

I personally don't collect discs, every one I've ever bought was purchased for their intended purpose: flight.

Case in point: many years ago I had a friend who drove around with a 50-mile/50 MPH donut spare tire on his car for months. Why? Said he couldn't "afford a new tire right now."

Yet, he could afford to drive that donut spare to the bar every night to drink beer.

He needed the tire, but he wanted the beer.

Counterpoint:

It's easier to spend $20 a week than to save $150.

Yes, I know it's a bad point, but still likely the correct answer.

I personally don't collect discs, every one I've ever bought was purchased for their intended purpose: flight.

Same here. I throw every disc I ever buy or trade for.

Unless I buy or trade for something I can't throw in order to flip it for something I can.