• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

College campus courses.

Around here, I've played UW-Baraboo, UW-Platteville,and UW-Whitewater and they're all pretty good courses.

The course in Oxford, Ohio (Miami Univ.) was used for the '98 worlds in the current condition and layout. never a problem there with safety.

Kansas State University, worst college campus course on earth, end of story. 3/4 of the shots are blind or by the time you throw to your target someone may be there that you couldnt see when you let go of the disc, spotters are needed on almost every hole if you want to have a good chance of not hitting anyone, then again you still might. 1/2 of the shots are over major sidewalks where people are 100% of the time, and over major roads and side roads where cars park their cars 100% of the time. people write in the paper how professors, students, visitors, etc. get hit non-stop by discs flying through campus...great layout....superb.

A lot of colleges have money earmarked for student projects. If it came down to a layout designed by an experienced course designer or one done by a student who started playing 2 months ago and threw a design together, those colleges will go with the student design every time. I was told that letting a student fail at designing a course fits in with the mission of our local college, where paying someone qualified to design a course does not.

A lot of colleges have money earmarked for student projects. If it came down to a layout designed by an experienced course designer or one done by a student who started playing 2 months ago and threw a design together, those colleges will go with the student design every time. I was told that letting a student fail at designing a course fits in with the mission of our local college, where paying someone qualified to design a course does not.

Fortunately for me and the other designer, LTC Cleveland is a little tech college that didn't have a clue what DG was, so once the Village of Cleveland approved my proposal for a course (which was initially to be a little 9-hole pitch-and-putt at a local park until we found that LTC had tons of green space that was expertly maintained, but not used), we brought our idea to the college, who basically gave us free rein--but not total carte blanche, since we couldn't go into the wooded areas--to get all the land utilized. In the end we came up with a suitable 18-hole design, and a few holes DO come close to roads (O.B.) and there are a few close fairways, but neither has been a major issue (though you will see both touched on in some of the reviews). It seems a lot of the reviewers find LTC appealing (in a 3-disc sort of way), since it's obvious that disc golfers put the course together and avoided the really bad elements you see at some college courses (holes playing over sidewalks, cramped feel, on a campus that's too busy to really even play, etc.). The school's totally behind us now, there's a DG club on campus (who receive $300 a year, which they've put towards a putting basket for indoors and some club merchandise), and I'm working on proposing another 6- or 9-hole addition expanding into the previously off-limits woods.

I can't plug LTC like, say, superberry does with Winter Park, for obvious reasons! But come on out and play, I'll meet up with you for a round, and I guarantee you'll find it a refreshing change from your typical campus course, though maybe a tad short and open.

texas state west park is my favorite. tons of elevation, new holes put in by real players, plus a weekly club that plays for tags.

also, i live near trinity university, which has a nice 6-hole. perfect location (away from campus, buildings) but only 6 holes...

I just recently played the course at the Univ. of S Alabama and it was very nice. i played on a weekend so not an issue for me but I hear that it is closed on weekdays before 5 which would be a large drawback.

That's a really fun, scenic course. Best in Mobile, in my opinion. I only played it on the weekends as I lived a hour away. The only safety issues there are the road loop that is near numbers two and three as well as the road that comes into play on number 5, the walk to six along the road, number 12 and number 13. There's hardly any traffic on these roads though. Hardly any foot traffic anywhere near the course.

The course in Oxford, Ohio (Miami Univ.) was used for the '98 worlds in the current condition and layout. never a problem there with safety.

Also a fun course... if you can find your way around it. It seems to flow through campus with several points where you can come into contact with innocent bystanders. Don't remember which hole it is but the one that plays through/under/over the pedestrian bridge can be a big safety issue. Of the two times I played it, landed on the bridge once and cleared it the other off the tee but I can definitely see how it can be a problem.

If the school has restrictions on when the course is open (after a certain time and weekends), then there shouldn't be a problem with other non-golfers. I'm for using walking paths, buildings and everything else to create OB's and obstacles as long as the chances of getting hit with a disc is kept at minimum. I agree that they are a great way to introduce people to the sport and can be a fun addition to any campus with surplus space.