• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

^ Thanks for the reply. I'll start looking at some Z's....maybe I'll get a range of weights and see which I prefer.

I don't need anything too beefy, just something that I can throw a bit flatter, and in 10- 15 mph winds. Colorado can get stupid windy some days, but I have my Rocs and Caiman for that.
My $ Comets have been pretty light; 171-173 seems to be my prefect Comet weight. Those are tricky, though. If my form is off or the wind is up I can lose the touch and then I'm in trouble unless I have a backup plan. I love Comets and when everything is "on" they do great things, but I'm not anywhere close to good enough to be out there with no backup plan.

Even a heavy/stable Comet is still a relatively straight disc. It won't flip on you, but it's not a Roc either.

I am really liking the flight of my new pink Z Glo Comet. It's dead nuts straight out of the box.

I'm looking for my next batch of Comets and need some advice from you Comet gurus...
I think 300 isn't out of the question for me if I had one I can trust just a bit more...
I'd really like to get something with MJ's name on it, but I'm not sure if it would work for me.

MJ throws a Comet 300 ft on Maple Hill hole #8. Not sure what kind of plastic his is in this vid. Some sort of swirly ESP maybe. Ask him in his MJ/Comet thread. Maybe he'll suggest a plastic.

I'm looking for my next batch of Comets and need some advice from you Comet gurus.

I currently hyzerflip 174 X-Comets with a RHBH out to 250' on a frozen rope...I love these things! But I really have to be careful to not overturn it, especially with any kind of wind. I think 300 isn't out of the question for me if I had one I can trust just a bit more.

I would like to take a small step up in stability, but I don't know much about Discraft plastics. Is ESP my next step up, or would it be Z? What range of weights should I be considering in this new plastic choice?

I'd really like to get something with MJ's name on it, but I'm not sure if it would work for me.

I'm a somewhat recent convert, maybe a year or so throwing them tops? Anyway...

I have an array of newer ESPs, mostly MJs and the sweet/simple stamp from Infinite. My flatter stock stamps can still achieve over 300' with a clean rip but they're more akin to the 174-175 domey Xs I've been throwing - sounds similar to what you mentioned. The former discs all handle the power noticeably easier and they're money for long straight shots like 3P mentioned with the stock domey Z. I've had mixed results with the Glows.

The more recent not stock ESPs are every bit as "overstable" as a domey stock Z, if not more (I have a few of them too), though the pricetag is often a bit higher and supply is more limited.

You can't go wrong with either option.

I don't have any comets....but i do have a L64 Fuse...would that fly pretty similarly to a Comet?

On avg the Fuse is going to turn a little more/a little less stable. An Opto X Fuse or stiff max weight domey Opto is very straight and the closest comparison.

So it depends on the Comet and Fuse but in general I would say the Fuse is a less stable mold.

I don't have any comets....but i do have a L64 Fuse...would that fly pretty similarly to a Comet?
I thought the Fuse was more like a Meteor. You throw them lower and harder than you throw a Comet and they do what they do. The Comet is more versatile. You throw it higher and it holds the line you put it on. I think on paper you can make them seem like similar discs, but they really are not.

I thought the Fuse was more like a Meteor. You throw them lower and harder than you throw a Comet and they do what they do. The Comet is more versatile. You throw it higher and it holds the line you put it on. I think on paper you can make them seem like similar discs, but they really are not.

Warrant or Tursas in the Trilogy lineup are pretty close to a Meteor....but the Fuse has a beaded rim to it and is supposed to be understable....Have been looking at that and the bounty as I have one of each, and haven't been ultra happy with my Warrant lately

Warrant or Tursas in the Trilogy lineup are pretty close to a Meteor....but the Fuse has a beaded rim to it and is supposed to be understable....Have been looking at that and the bounty as I have one of each, and haven't been ultra happy with my Warrant lately
I don't know, but I have some Fuse and of course I throw Comets. The thought of replacing Comets for Fuse has never crossed my mind.

I didn't like the Warrant is was too squirrelly and not enough glide to be consistent. I have not thrown the Bounty but here is my take from reading it's thread and throwing many Fuses and Comets.

(least turn) Most stable -- Comet > Bounty > Fuse > Tursas > Warrant -- Least stable (most flip)

I have thrown all these discs in several plastic but the Bounty. I think it's going to slot in between the Fuse and Comet on avg. Of course you will have outliers depending on weight and dome and PLH.

Hmmm...Comets are pretty scarce right now. My three remaining X Comets will have to hold me over for now.

ESP FLX or Gstar are very similar. Would make for a great cold weather comet, and I'm always looking for stable comets so it would be a win win.

Absolutely. Would probably become my favorite or second favorite after my beat Elite X.

1st run esp LE is the ticket, thems some soft ass discs!

(Sample size of one haha, sold to me by Matt from Snap discs after my lone ace at the provincials)