• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Redundant
I mean I put a lot of hyzer on it if my memory from 26 years ago holds. :\

I started selling golf discs in '95; I had no idea what I was doing and the place had no sales reports or inventory reports to help me. I had this "send me what you think I need" arrangement with my supplier early on while I was figuring it out, and the first shipment I got had like 15 first run Cheetahs in it. There was no information from Innova about how they were supposed to fly and it was before Innova had a website. My supplier gave me a word salad explanation that I didn't understand about what they were. I just hung one in the display with a tag that said "NEW". I did that with Comets, Morays and Stratus; I think the Pegasus was the first disc where I had played enough and understood enough about throwing discs that I could make up an accurate description of it past just "NEW". Almost immediately after I reached that level of disc golf IQ, all the manufactures launched websites and I didn't need it. :|

Later on the Stratus had this helpful stamp to warn you it was flippy:

picture.php

The First Run Stratus had no such warning:

picture.php

I actually played a doubles round last week with a guy who threw a Stratus for the same thing people throw Meteors and Sols for these days. I was impressed that he could get the distance he did with it, without it going roller.

When I'm impressed with someone's touch game, they're pretty good. :D

The kid got some ESP Stratus a few years ago that she could crank on a lot harder than the old-school Stratus. Of course that possibly could be because I gave her some beat-up old Stratus to use as her first drivers when she was eight and after I used them and she used them they probably need to go in the trash... She has a soft spot for the Stratus. I gave the other kid Stingrays for her first drivers and she still throws a Super Stingray as her main midrange. We are a sentimental bunch.

The Archer was supposed to just be a tweaked Stratus that could be run in premium plastics at legal weights; my understanding about the Stratus was that it never became a Z/ESP disc because it was very difficult to get them to mold up in legal weights. The Archer was that answer to that problem, but I never see anyone throwing Archers. The kid that loves the ESP Stratus hated the ESP Archer, go figure. I bet if they just stamped "Stratus" on an Archer she would never notice.

Sorry, I've been throwing a Wombat3 instead of Comets so I have no Comet talk to add to the Comet thread. Why am I throwing a Wombat3? Well, I'm supposed to do some course bagging and I decided I didn't want to lose my bougie Comets in BFE Indiana, so I'm going to lose Wombat3's instead.

The kid got some ESP Stratus a few years ago that she could crank on a lot harder than the old-school Stratus. Of course that possibly could be because I gave her some beat-up old Stratus to use as her first drivers when she was eight and after I used them and she used them they probably need to go in the trash... She has a soft spot for the Stratus. I gave the other kid Stingrays for her first drivers and she still throws a Super Stingray as her main midrange. We are a sentimental bunch.

The Archer was supposed to just be a tweaked Stratus that could be run in premium plastics at legal weights; my understanding about the Stratus was that it never became a Z/ESP disc because it was very difficult to get them to mold up in legal weights. The Archer was that answer to that problem, but I never see anyone throwing Archers. The kid that loves the ESP Stratus hated the ESP Archer, go figure. I bet if they just stamped "Stratus" on an Archer she would never notice.

Sorry, I've been throwing a Wombat3 instead of Comets so I have no Comet talk to add to the Comet thread. Why am I throwing a Wombat3? Well, I'm supposed to do some course bagging and I decided I didn't want to lose my bougie Comets in BFE Indiana, so I'm going to lose Wombat3's instead.

Funny enough I actually suggested to a guy to throw Archers as a premium Stratus a few years ago and apparently he still does to this day. I ran into him at a tournament a few weeks back and had taken his parking spot when he went to the store and back. Turns out we both like Mazdas...and that's how we figured out what had happened.

Added a pretty dyed Comet to my bag today. That brings the total in the bag to 7. I really need to remove some of these other discs, so I can add in at least one more...

Added a pretty dyed Comet to my bag today. That brings the total in the bag to 7. I really need to remove some of these other discs, so I can add in at least one more...

Seems like a bit of overkill. I love Comets but I bag one that does Comet things.....and three other mids. I will occasionally take 6 or more Comets out to a field to work on form though and that's always time well spent.

Kinda doubt even MJ bags more than three.

Seems like a bit of overkill. I love Comets but I bag one that does Comet things.....and three other mids. I will occasionally take 6 or more Comets out to a field to work on form though and that's always time well spent.

Kinda doubt even MJ bags more than three.

To be fair, I'm going to need to audition this one, to see if it overlaps with another one. I suspect it does. That said, I'm part of the Blake Takkunen school of mold minimalism, so a bunch of each of a small number of molds is how I roll, each of which is for a different type of shot. I also bag 5 Scorches and 6-7 Fierces right now, for example, for the same sort of reasons I detail below.

- My LE ESP is light weight, and well seasoned, so it gets used for long, right turning shots and tailwinds (the other one I'd consider adding is a new, light Z one that just does nothing but turn, but I'll probably hold it in reserve in case this one gets lost)
- My icon ESP is super straight, with just a bit of a right pan, so it's in there for corridor shots
- The new dyed ESP one is more stable, and I think it overlaps either with my Dino-Comet, or my heavy Z one. It flies pretty stable.
- My light weight, old Z one is flippy, but has more HSS than the LE ESP, and more LSS. When I need a Comet that does the most Comet of Comet things, this is my go to.
- My butterfly dyed Cryztal Sparkle used to be pretty straight, but after an uncharacteristically low number of tree hits is pretty flippy, so I'm trying to figure out if it overlaps with the old Z one. If it does, one or the other will probably get put in reserve.
- My Dino-Comet is straight, with some fade, and FREAKY glide. It's probably the most workable of my Comets right now, so it's getting the bulk of my throws, where the shot needs to go left.
- My modern Z Comet is Buzzz overstable. Headwinds (at least ones a Comet can handle), hyzers, that sort of thing.

I've got several others in reserve, that overlap with ones in the bag, and I think that new ESP one is likely to end up there too, so I'll be back down to 6 - but 6 that let me throw a variety of shots, when I need something to turn, not turn, or finish a particular way, without having to fight the disc, or have it beat in to where it won't throw some lines reliably. Since Comets are 75% of my non-distance, non-putting throws, this is important.

Incidentally, I find it a bit odd that most of the ones in reserve overlap at the more overstable end of the spectrum, rather than neutral like the Icon ESP, or the flippy end like my two old ones. I guess that allows people to beat them in and cycle them like they do a DX Roc, but... If you gave a Comet thrower from 10 years ago a new, modern Comet, they wouldn't recognize it by flight...

I get mold minimizing and cycling. Most folks cycle discs that start at least somewhat OS. I bag several Wraiths and PDs, and a couple Eagles and FDs. For me, too many of the same mold makes disc selection more difficult with not enough difference in shot shapes. To each their own.

Played a private course yesterday on a dude's farm that's notorious for eating discs so I bagged one of the old TP Comets I scored from a used bin. Threw it twice in the round and scored a birdie on a tight little 250' floaty hyzer. Saved par after throwing it long into the water on a 270ish downhill.

I got it back but lost a Zone and a Wraith, one in thigh high weeds and one in the water. 4 out of 5 on my card lost at least one disc.

I used to just carry the LE ESP and light old Z one (two of them, actually, twins). The Z ones were my workhorses, and the LE ESP was just for dedicated turnover duty. I may end up back able to do that again, but my touch game suffered the most from my transition, so having something I can work on hard throws, or that I can trust to pan out of a sky anhyzer to flat, or things like that, have really shown me how nice the luxury of a bigger bag is. When I only had the 3 in my bag, I was carrying a prototype Gorilla Boy spider monkey (? - the old style tournament bag with quad shocks), which only held like 13 discs and a putter. My cart holds like 28 discs, so space isn't at such a premium.

6 comets feels like a lot, but I love seeing how everyone uses theirs. I gauge mine based on how they react thrown pretty hard, have an old 18 MJ esp glo, that goes right, a pfn z that is dead straight and the new icon that will still fade.

I adjust speed, spin and nose angle to cover everything I need a comet for. Have a solstice backing them up for hard fade shots.

6 comets feels like a lot, but I love seeing how everyone uses theirs. I gauge mine based on how they react thrown pretty hard, have an old 18 MJ esp glo, that goes right, a pfn z that is dead straight and the new icon that will still fade.

I adjust speed, spin and nose angle to cover everything I need a comet for. Have a solstice backing them up for hard fade shots.
I generally carry five mids, and when I'm throwing Comets four of them are Comets. I have the usual turn/straight/fade arrangement, but I've got an old Z "used to be my straight Comet that is too flippy to be that anymore but not quite so flippy to be my turnover Comet" disc. Its use kinda depends on the conditions i.e. it's a decent headwind and I'm afraid my turnover Comet will turn and burn OR I've got a long straight shot and a nice tailwind so I'm going to put some hyzer on the old Z and watch it bomb. Stuff like that. Some days it gets the majority of my throws. Other times it just rides around in the bag. It's kinda hard to explain when I throw it, I just kinda know. Ya know?

I generally carry five mids, and when I'm throwing Comets four of them are Comets. I have the usual turn/straight/fade arrangement, but I've got an old Z "used to be my straight Comet that is too flippy to be that anymore but not quite so flippy to be my turnover Comet" disc. Its use kinda depends on the conditions i.e. it's a decent headwind and I'm afraid my turnover Comet will turn and burn OR I've got a long straight shot and a nice tailwind so I'm going to put some hyzer on the old Z and watch it bomb. Stuff like that. Some days it gets the majority of my throws. Other times it just rides around in the bag. It's kinda hard to explain when I throw it, I just kinda know. Ya know?

That's my old, light weight, production Z one, to a T.

I carry 2-7 mids, but usually we are talking Justice to Paradox range of stabilities if I am carrying 5+.

I think at the peak of my comet throwing days I carried 3, and could see 4 with the current "beef" available. I could run Gila, Beat Gila, Icon, Z, 2018 MJ, Broken in X/TP, ****, maybe 5 and add a thrashed TP in there too...

With the range of stabilities I get out of the Comets I bag, I don't really need another mid mold. If I need short and stable, I throw a Zone. If I need long and stable, I can underthrow any number of discs consistently. Those only tend to come out when I'm throwing into a noticeable headwind. If I need wide left carry, I'm throwing a Zone, Athena, or Flick anyway, unless I've got unlimited ceiling to work with.

That's my old, light weight, production Z one, to a T.
Mine is 173g.

We just generally describe disc in our bag by what slot it covers. Sometimes you have a disc that probably creates a lot of overlaps, but you have thrown it 1,000 times and you just kinda can tell when it's the right time to pull it out and throw it. It's like the Caddyshack thing, it's my Billy Baroo disc.

Discs in specific slots/eliminating overlaps is kinda the science of building a bag; having some old reliable disc that you have some hippy-dippy connection with and a "you know when you know" time to throw it is more of an art. To me, that art is the fun part. I hope every Comet thrower reading this thread one day has their Billy Baroo Comet in the bag that they can't explain to anyone when they throw it, but they know when.

picture.php

With the range of stabilities I get out of the Comets I bag, I don't really need another mid mold. If I need short and stable, I throw a Zone. If I need long and stable, I can underthrow any number of discs consistently. Those only tend to come out when I'm throwing into a noticeable headwind. If I need wide left carry, I'm throwing a Zone, Athena, or Flick anyway, unless I've got unlimited ceiling to work with.

When I bagged zones or harps they basically were my stable mid. If you have a zone type disc and a teebird type disc you don't really need something between.

I usually bag three,.

Gaga(old first run Z with the stamp wiped and a Lady Gaga dye) straight to slightly overstable.

Old pfn orange Z that's possibly my favorite comet a true point and shoot comet where the line you release it on is the line it holds to the ground.

The third slot is usually either a fresh LE or whatever comet run is currently overstable.

Recently though I've found myself only bring Gaga and my orange Z and using a hex where I would usually reach for an overstable freak comet.

Old pfn orange Z that's possibly my favorite comet a true point and shoot comet where the line you release it on is the line it holds to the ground.

Some of the stock Z comets have just hit that magic HSS, glide and feel. My most missed comets are all old Z's of various runs.