• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet or Buzz

ReinZ_96

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I'm looking for a relatively stable mid-range disc ad I've come down to these two. Can I get a little help on my decision? :)

im stuck on the buzzz I have never thrown a comet though, but from what i have read on here a lot of guys throw both

i carry both. the buzzz for dead straight shots and the comet for turnovers. the comet is probably the most fun disc to throw, it can do some pretty great stuff once you've got it down.

This is probably the best comparison of the two that I have seen on here. It's originally from the "esp comets comin again!" thread. Hope it helps.
Here is an answer I have previously given to that question:
Originally Posted by Marmoset
...Golfers, regardless of skill level, are consistently looking for the same things:
a disc that goes straight
a disc that has no fade (or veeerrry little)
a great gliding disc
a disc that does anhyzers really well
a disc that will hold sweet lines without having to beat it in
etc.

I feel that Comets can excel at all of these demands and many more. This thread is dedicated to exploring the many things the Comet does well.

I can't say the Comet is the best midrange or the only midrange... there are other fanboys that will claim that for their favorite disc. But I do think the Comet is the best fit for:
1. my current skillset
2. my current priorities I look for in a midrange
3. the way I like to play my home course

If other people read this thread then I think they might realize there are alternatives to the other popular midranges and the Comet just might fill a slot they have been looking for.

Enjoy the thread, learn some stuff, ask questions, whatever.
Try a Comet... you just might like it.

I would also add that the Comet serves as a fabulous diagnostic tool/form checker. If you can keep an Comet straight for 320+ feet (X Comet, no wind) then you are probably doing many things correctly. I know several people that keep Comets around solely for this purpose... they don't throw them during rounds.

so despite the similar numbers could a Buzzz/Comet combo work well?

Buzzz:
fast
more fade
power shots
low shots
open holes
a little better in the windy situations

Comet:
slow
less fade
finesse shots
higher shots
woodsy holes
not as wind resistant (but fine in the wind if you know what you are doing)

Both discs are similar in alot of ways but are also very different. It is an odd pair for a midrange lineup IMO because they are fundamentally different in how they work. For me it is strange to go from the characteristics of a Comet to the characteristics of a Buzzz. The transition from a Comet to a Roc is much smoother for me because, while they fill different roles, they still operate in a very similar manner. They are both slower and need the height to get D and they feel much more similar in my hand than the Comet/Buzzz combo.

If you are used to the flight characteristics of a Buzzz and you try to throw the Comet the same way you throw your Buzzz then the Comet will probably act understable. I throw my Rocs the same way I throw my Comets (or vice versa) and everything works just fine.

They will both get dead straight shots with little to no fade IF you have good form and work to learn both.

My experiences:

The Comet is much slower. It doesn't like arm speed and won't tolerate muscling or OAT. That being said it will hold ANY line (especially DEAD straight), usually with no fade. You'll need to throw it a little higher than the Buzzz, but the glide it has is ridiculous.

The Buzzz is a faster mid that can take some arm speed. It's a little more forgiving but will still hold just about any line. There is a tiny amount of fade at the end, but keep two things in mind: a lot of it will beat out; and it likes to be thrown low anyway, so it often doesn't have the chance to fade hard. Still has pretty good glide, but nothing like the Comet.

Also, if you beat it up enough, the Buzzz may start to turn over a little bit. I haven't experienced any sort of natural turn with the Comet that wasn't related to how I was throwing it (and my Z Comet is down at 164g).

I prefer the buzzz. If I had cleaner more consistant form I would carry the comet and use it more, but now I only use it for anhyzers

Buzzz SS. I replaced my Comets with these. I love them!

I never liked the buzz, however with a new breakthrough in my game, I'm thinking of tryin some again.

I don't see any shots I'm missin, just giving it a try.
Any tips to make the buzzez shine? I'm thinkin two barstamps, a 178 and a 172 z's.

I'm thinking my former low power gave me more fade the desired with the buzzz.

Never thrown the comet. Just picked up my first buzz and I love it. Very forgiving disc, can be thrown off plain and still go very straight. If you want something for straight drives or longer fairway shots I'd go with that. If you're looking for more of an approach disc and shot shaping I'd look elsewhere. I throw a mako; as the post above described the comet, the mako is slower and needs some height to work.

Never thrown the comet. Just picked up my first buzz and I love it. Very forgiving disc, can be thrown off plain and still go very straight. If you want something for straight drives or longer fairway shots I'd go with that. If you're looking for more of an approach disc and shot shaping I'd look elsewhere. I throw a mako; as the post above described the comet, the mako is slower and needs some height to work.

Comet is nothing like the Mako. The Comet will hold any line you put on it, it is a very versitile disc.

I never liked the buzz, however with a new breakthrough in my game, I'm thinking of tryin some again.

I don't see any shots I'm missin, just giving it a try.
Any tips to make the buzzez shine? I'm thinkin two barstamps, a 178 and a 172 z's.

I'm thinking my former low power gave me more fade the desired with the buzzz.

If the Buzzz is too overstable, try a Meteor or Buzzz SS

If you want something for straight drives or longer fairway shots I'd go with that. If you're looking for more of an approach disc and shot shaping I'd look elsewhere. I throw a mako; as the post above described the comet, the mako is slower and needs some height to work.

That's a good point, the Buzzz is almost more of a slow driver than what many people think of as a mid. At slow speeds, it can have a hefty fade on it.
A Comet takes less speed and more of a light touch to fly just right, whereas the Buzzz can easily overshoot your target from much closer than 150 ft. They take very different throws to get going.

I guess driving with a Buzzz and using a Comet for approaches could work out, but the Comet has some sneaky distance too. I think the Buzzz is just easier to judge in that department.

lost a new comet 3rd time throwing it! jst bad luck? could be bad throw! will stick with my buzzz & buzzz SS

Since I've picked up the Comets, I haven't thrown my Buzzz much. If I need more stability than my Comet, I throw a Zone. If I want something to turn over I am throwing the Comet, or a Meteor. I could easily drop the Meteor from my mid range game, but I really use the Meteor more like a driver in the wooded private courses I play.

I don't completely understand the whole thing about "Comets" need height. I suppose if you are trying to air them out for max D, then yeah, but so does most things.

I think both discs could be good candidates for somebody looking to only carry one mold. With all this said, I also can understand somebody carrying both.

I carry both, but soon that will probably change. They do have some overlap, especially since my Z buzzz is just starting to beat in, except the buzzz goes a bit farther and is more OAT tolerant (but can still be turned over a lot).

I will probably be dropping the buzzz for the roc soon (unless I don't like it) and keeping the comet around until my roc beats in to its spot (which will take awhile).

I've started giving this advice on picking a mid:

What do you love to throw? When you step up in the box, what do you want in your hand? Imagine what that disc looks like and feels like in your hand. Now, was the disc you were thinking about a driver? Throw a Buzzz. Was the disc you were thinking about a putter? Throw a Roc. Was the disc you were thinking about a mid? Throw that.

In this case you can substitute "Comet" for "Roc" and it still works.

I'm looking for a relatively stable mid-range disc ad I've come down to these two. Can I get a little help on my decision? :)

Most discrafters carry both. With the Buzz being slightly overstable and the comet being moderatly understable, they make a good combo. I would suggest the z buzz and x comet, so you have the right plastics for the jobs at hand.

Latest posts