• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Commander - New Midrange

Inbounds has the flight up. It is essentially the same as the Wasp. To be fair, I think Inbounds does not actually test the discs to get the flight ratings, but instead extrapolated it from the posted numbers. They are my favorite for comparing discs, but not always the most accurate. My favorite is the ATDG reviews where they will show the manufacturer numbers, Inbounds flights, but also posts their own numbers base on how the disc actually flies for them. I would say they rarely completely agree with the listed numbers.

They do test discs whenever possible. This has come up a few times and inbounds has addressed it:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2410693#post2410693

They do test discs whenever possible. This has come up a few times and inbounds has addressed it:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2410693#post2410693

Good to know. I do feel like some of the numbers have been adjusted. This could be my imagination, but I feel like when the Bard was released, it was given a longer distance number that has been adjusted to where it is now.

But no one can argue that the Gator is not significantly more overstable than the Roc3, despite the Inbounds rating showing them virtually identical. I really appreciate what Inbounds does, but I wish some of the older ratings were adjusted a little more to reflect reality (especially for the most popular of discs).

As of right now, the Commander and Gator are basically the same disc according to Inbounds, but I really doubt this will turn out to be the case in reality.

Alright just got one in the mail and gave it a couple rips... Its nice and OS... Top looks like domey roc, rim looks like squashed down spider. I threw this next to my slightly used millennium sanny q sentinel and found it was pretty similar but finished with a harder fade. Coming out of my hand hss was good, straight, at about 260-270ft it faded hard left, left me with a 5ft putt. I wanna run some more tests but so far I'm liking it.
I would say this is pretty true to its numbers unlike the roc3.
Rhbh player. Playing on and off 15yrs. Max distance with my millennium qolf is around 400-425ft. I throw my sanny q sentinels in the range of 280-300ft. I throw my champ gator about 250ft. The max distance i got on the commander today was around 275ft.

Prolly going to wait for production or proto champion.

Hows it skip in star?

Sounds very nice though. Maybe i could use a champ commander to replace my gator. I like the gator alot, but it gets a very low percentage of shots. And it does them well.

Possibly this disc could cover 90 % of the same shots and the rest could be picked up by a firebird. Plus be a little more workable in other lines, increasing overall use.

Alright just got one in the mail and gave it a couple rips... Its nice and OS... Top looks like domey roc, rim looks like squashed down spider

How did it feel in the hand? Could you post a profile pic. There don't seem to be any available on the interwebs yet.

This. If I buy a very OS disc, I generally want it to be in the toughest plastic to start with. I will consider soft cycling plastics later. I would have preferred maybe a Metal Flake as the pre-protostar release for a mid. I think most people generally like mids in Champ style or baseline for their mids.

Ever thrown a Z Wasp?

From my experience throwing the Wasp, it really seems like the closest to overstable any Roc3s get, but is not so much more so than to be a completely new slot for your bag (more like on just the overstable end of the spectrum for the Roc3). Don't get me wrong, I love pairing a Z Wasp with two Roc3s, but I think a lot of people, myself included, want something that is more like the moderate overstability of say a BuzzOS so that Innova has something that fits directly between a Roc3 and Gator.

From my experience throwing the Wasp, it really seems like the closest to overstable any Roc3s get, but is not so much more so than to be a completely new slot for your bag (more like on just the overstable end of the spectrum for the Roc3). Don't get me wrong, I love pairing a Z Wasp with two Roc3s, but I think a lot of people, myself included, want something that is more like the moderate overstability of say a BuzzOS so that Innova has something that fits directly between a Roc3 and Gator.

Hmmm, the only Buzzz OS's I have thrown (First Runs) were as OS as any Gator I have thrown. Are the production run Buzzz OS's less OS than those first runs were? Because the ones I threw were seriously utility-disc OS. I get your point though; if I were to substitute say a Hornet or sentinel for the Buzzz OS in that sentence it would make sense to me.

Hows it skip in star?.

I havent tried skipping it, seemed like a normal roc/spider when it landed.

Here is a pic of the profile... Enjoy. Hopefully I'll be taking it out some more this week.

Attachments

• 20151228_185100.jpg
    20151228_185100.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 117
Yeah I was going to say this looks like Innova took the VRoc wing and put a different top on it.

Agreed. Definitely looks like the Vroc bottom. I don't hate the Vroc rim and feel it's just not my favorite. I'm also not a fan of domey mids. The pic has deflated my enthusiasm a bit but I'll still give it a shot.

Hmmm, the only Buzzz OS's I have thrown (First Runs) were as OS as any Gator I have thrown. Are the production run Buzzz OS's less OS than those first runs were? Because the ones I threw were seriously utility-disc OS. I get your point though; if I were to substitute say a Hornet or sentinel for the Buzzz OS in that sentence it would make sense to me.

I have never thrown it myself, but I got the impression from others that it is less stable than the Gator. Perhaps it isn't, but it is less stable than a Drone right?

On the Commander, that is one domey mid. Doesn't really bother me but could see plenty of people not giving it a chance b/c of this. Maybe the production runs will be flatter.