• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Copyright Issues

In an alternate universe, 2016 is the year of the Hell Freezes Over tour. The Eagles manager calls Dave Mac to produce 1000 discs stamped with the Eagles' image to reach out to their disc golf fans. Dave is actually paid to do it.

Copywriting? Never heard of it.

Dropping the dime, however...ouch.

Different intent of the law.

There is no competition or people's livelihoods/hard work on the line.

Right. There's only the potential of people's lives being on the line. Kind of way worse.

At the end of the day it's still "breaking the law" and a "risk", which is what the comment that I addressed claimed. Break the law, take the risk of not getting caught. On one hand, the software user is attempting to profit. On the other, the speeder is attempting to arrive at his destination faster than the law allows.

He's aware. I won't do it again. I totally understand the hooplah/stink he raises about this issue.
I've raised a lot of funds by the sale of unlicensed artwork.Honestly, I've never been a fan of it but it does allow the money to compound (which in turn means more projects).

Most everyone knows I don't do RDG for income. Nearly every penny is sent back out for molds, paying my artists, shipping supplies, etc. That however is no excuse for how the foundation of RDG was built.
As noted, I've pretty well sold off our questionable stamped discs,]and am making an effort to rely on just organic/parody pieces from here on out

You have always been very straightforward here on DGCR. Thank you for having the courage to admit what you did was wrong and thank you for agreeing to stop.

.... I think 2016 is the start of a whole new Gateway.

As the New Director of Social Media for Gateway: is Gateway going to stop the practice of selling unlicensed artwork on Gateway discs? If Gateway continues selling unlicensed artwork, will you look the other way, cash your new paychecks and pretend it doesn't matter? Or will you work to bring about a change?

It may appear as though God smiled upon you and brought you this opportunity. Please be careful that you haven't sold your soul to Old Nick.

So what if you don't know the "other guy" is pirating software, and thus there is no call and the other business does better than yours. Then they can afford to buy the software legally with their extra revenue, and will have surpassed your company with no consequences. Is that okay, because they took the risk and didn't get caught?

Well I know you have issues with reading over 21 words at a time ;)

He didn't ask if it was "okay", he asked if I would be "choked" by which I assume he ment pissed off. No, nothing makes it "okay". But I wouldn't be pissed off. The reason that I wouldn't be pissed off is that I have the exact same opportunity to cheat. I would choose not to cheat purely out of a risk/reward analysis. If that other guy decides to cheat I should be overjoyed, because under my analysis the likelihood is that they will be caught and suffer consequences that outstrip the gains.

Now if in fact I misread the situation and there actually is a better chance at coming out ahead by cheating by all means I will be pissed. Pissed at myself for not cheating. I am a capitalist pure and simple.

Lol! I WISH an actual, licensed lawyer with IP knowledge would chime in here. Maybe then we could settle this for good.

JenB is a patent attorney, is she still around? My attorney knowledge of IP law is very lacking.

lol nah, only people's lives. How many people have died due to IP theft?

Right. There's only the potential of people's lives being on the line. Kind of way worse.

At the end of the day it's still "breaking the law" and a "risk", which is what the comment that I addressed claimed. Break the law, take the risk of not getting caught. On one hand, the software user is attempting to profit. On the other, the speeder is attempting to arrive at his destination faster than the law allows.

Yeah because thats what I meant.

What i was referring to is that laws have different intentions.

Speeding falls under the whole keeping society/people safe.

IP laws address people's work being protected.

Just because a creation isn't tangible or a commodity doesnt mean that it holds zero value.

The idea of risk shouldn't factor in.

You should just know, if you are a decent person, that stealing is inherently wrong.

Do you go to the disc golf store and steal discs, because you think the reward outweighs the risk?

Last edited:
If you ran a business, and your choice was to either go bankrupt or utilize IP that is not yours, who is going to tell me they would not take the risk?

I'd rather associate with 10 IP thieves, than one rat. I will not be purchasing any more MVP plastic.

A). What kind of business would be forced to steal IP or face bankruptcy?

B). IP thieves are rats first.

Lol! I WISH an actual, licensed lawyer with IP knowledge would chime in here. Maybe then we could settle this for good.

You don't need to be a lawyer to at least know enough about IP to add to the conversation. Artists and anybody who works in communications/marketing based fields have a working knowledge of IP.

As the New Director of Social Media for Gateway: is Gateway going to stop the practice of selling unlicensed artwork on Gateway discs?

It appears the moderators here won't allow this question on your original thread announcing the Gateway Renaissance that started with your appointment as the New Director of Social Media.http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3032413&postcount=1

You wanted to shine a bright light on your new job and Gateway. Now that bright light is also shining on the fact that Gateway has questionable business practices. Your choice of the word Renaissance is pure gold: Gateway will usher in a great revival of the arts - one bootleg hot stamp at a time!

In your Renaissance thread you boast how quickly DaveMac responds to ideas. You discuss an idea on Sunday and it is a reality by Tuesday. Please talk to DaveMac this Sunday so you can make the announcement all over social media this Tuesday that Gateway is going to stop hot stamping discs with unlicensed artwork.

Maybe Gateway isn't afraid of taking risks with copyright lawyers. However, you need to be very aware that social media is the court of public opinion and no trial is required in order for everyone to pass judgement.

TBF, nobody actually cares, people aren't going to stop buying Wizards just because some of GDS' discs are stamped with bootleg art

*moves to China*

*starts disc company*

*starts selling AVRs, Eye-ons, Calm-Its, Buzzzzes, Teabirds and Rawks with Pokemon stamps*

*laughs maniacally as American DG companies futilely attempt to sue me*

#1stWorldBusinessProblems