• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cornhole on ESPN 2 this afternoon....Where has disc golf gone wrong?

Put Kristen Tattar on ESPN, and disc golf popularity will go up. A lot.

Talked to her at USDGC this year, as she was following Silver Latt around (her boyfriend I think). I got her to sign my disc and she seemed really surprised that anyone recognized her when she was just there as a spectator. She was super nice and, as you alluded, very attractive.

<tangent>
I would argue that both football and boxing are less safe than they were in the 1950s. The heavy gloves and heavy pads allow one to hit much harder. Rugby players do not suffer the brain injuries like America football.
</tangent>

I always wondered about other contact sports concussion numbers. If the modern day football players didn't wear pads, we would see many more concussions and possibly someone die on the field. They are just too big and fast for that. Without pads, the speed at which they run and collide would decline dramatically, just so they would survive to see their loved ones again. As long as they have the pads on, it's still safer than attending a soccer match abroad. People die watching live soccer you know. :popcorn:

I always wondered about other contact sports concussion numbers. If the modern day football players didn't wear pads, we would see many more concussions and possibly someone die on the field. They are just too big and fast for that. Without pads, the speed at which they run and collide would decline dramatically, just so they would survive to see their loved ones again. As long as they have the pads on, it's still safer than attending a soccer match abroad. People die watching live soccer you know. :popcorn:

No, the pads cause more TBIs. Not only do the pads add mass to the hit, they also allow for a greater number of hits.
In high school sports, soccer has the greatest amount of TBIs and it is not from person on person contact, it is from hundreds of headers from every practice (please don't put your children in this hooligan sport). A hard hit that knocks one out does less damage than high repetition jars to the head; Jars that may not even have any head contact.

Pads also allow the players to hit harder, both due to physics and to the angle of attack. One cannot lead with the head or the shoulders, in a tackle, without pads. They have shown this in the lab, in a tackle, players scoop like rugby instead of launching a collarbone first strike. Without pads, this would snap the collarbone.

Compare American football to Rugby. Rugby allows for more aggesive tackles yet has less TBIs.

Back in the 90s, we in the martial arts community knew that MMA was much safer than boxing. More broken bones, sure, but less TBIs. This was pre glove UFC, mind you.

No, the pads cause more TBIs. Not only do the pads add mass to the hit, they also allow for a greater number of hits.
In high school sports, soccer has the greatest amount of TBIs and it is not from person on person contact, it is from hundreds of headers from every practice (please don't put your children in this hooligan sport). A hard hit that knocks one out does less damage than high repetition jars to the head; Jars that may not even have any head contact.

Pads also allow the players to hit harder, both due to physics and to the angle of attack. One cannot lead with the head or the shoulders, in a tackle, without pads. They have shown this in the lab, in a tackle, players scoop like rugby instead of launching a collarbone first strike. Without pads, this would snap the collarbone.

Compare American football to Rugby. Rugby allows for more aggesive tackles yet has less TBIs.

Back in the 90s, we in the martial arts community knew that MMA was much safer than boxing. More broken bones, sure, but less TBIs. This was pre glove UFC, mind you.

My dad has spent time with NCAA teams facilitating different studies that aim to learn how the training regimen and practice routines affect the athletes (I'm generalizing for brevity), and one such study had the LSU Football team's pads fitted with sensor arrays (this was even before the NFL started doing it I believe) and they gleaned data from practices. The force that collegiate athletes produce on impact is astounding.

He has said to me on more than one occasion that he believes the quest to make "better, safer helmets" plays a large role in the increase in CTE rates. Essentially, people "feel" safer and more protected, so they're more prone to use their head and neck as a weapon to deliver impact to the opponent. Also, the gel inserts that are replacing the old school foam padding may be resonating the energy and returning it so your brain gets more little "aftershocks" after one hit.

The differential in CTE rates between Rugby and American Football is pretty staggering.

I watch major sports (Mlb, nfl, nba) passively now. While loading the dishwasher, while cooking, checking emails, etc..

The one thing I do watch actively is pre-taped and edited DG tourneys on YouTube. It's done so well (jomez, ccdg) that it's easy and engaging to follow. More so if I've played the same courses the pros are playing.

I'll will still watch dg on YouTube while doing stuff like cooking dinner but often find myself pausing or even rewinding to see shots that I missed. Hell if it's something good (like a nice putt) I'll rewind a bunch of times.

I do think that one thing that is missing from YouTube dg coverage is even more pared down round coverage into just 10-15min clips with all the shots and statistical data there.

Often I'll just fast forward to next hole and skip commentary, putting out, etc (I love the commentary but will skip it to save time) and manually just pare down the video myself. If a shot or putt is spectacular I'll rewind/rewatch regardless. So it's very active watching compared to me watching a Celtics game and not really caring until it's the last 5min.

I agree with your post mostly, save for the bold. The header practice is not the issue so much as the head to head and elbow to head contact when going for headers.
The less practice the more they occur, which is why the girls have a much higher rate as it has long been a thing they just practice headers less. So then move to a higher intensity game situation the contact is much worse.

There has also been a reduction in the expectation of defenders to head the ball back from long goal kicks or goalkeeper punts. Still is a thing but some of those could be damaging from the ball. The thought that it is the heading practice was a made up "stat" a long time ago.

Latest posts