• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Congestion

DMoney

Has anyone else seen a dramatic increase in the number of people out at your local course this spring? I'm all for growing the sport, but lately its been getting kinda ridiculous. I mean, seeing groups of 4 people max are great, but lately I've continually seen more and more groups of 6, 7, and 8; some of which are even pushing strollers around on the course. :doh:

Luckily there's another course just outside of town in a county park that is pay to enter so I'll be hitting that up a lot more often than I used to. Anyone else in a similar situation?

mucus2.jpg

I too have seen this, and it has been a big discussion on out local message boards. I agree, growth is great, but the best thing about this sport can also be the worst...It's free (or cheap).

Keep pushing for new courses. Fortunately, Columbus courses are growing fast. Still, course development is not keeping up with demand. It's hard to be too disturbed, because the families and leisure golfers are just out to have some fun, just like us. You just have to identify traffic volumes at the local courses and you may need to play alternate courses depending on time and weather.

Ya, it's bad even at my already pre-congested course. My two most important discs were literally marauded from me yesterday. Marauders are extremely bad these days @ the Z.

This seems like a problem/blessing wherever I go. It's a huge hassle with giant groups and those oblivious to rules of play. But it puts more money and support into disc golf as a whole. And thanks to the popularity around here. There are plans for a 3rd course to go in soon.

It's bad all over, but what can you do? If nothing else, it makes me feel a little better about my mediocre game when kids with bosses are asking "why do you throw your putter on that hole?" and i say "because it's 140 feet"

I'm seeing the same thing in Madison, Wisconsin. It's fairly common to see 20 or more people waiting at the first hole at Hiestand just to tee off. I've seen similar lines at Elver as well. Rounds definitely take longer, but as others have said, it's helping to grow the sport we love, so I try not to let it bother me too much. There is a "pay to play" course here too, and it seems to be a little less crowded. There is talk of adding 9 or 18 holes there, which would be awesome!!! There is also talk of adding a 9 hole course at Olin Park, which would also help. Hang in there and keep playing the game!! DISC GOLF FOR LIFE!!!!

I noticed it too at a course near me. A group of 8-10, obnoxious ass loud kids ranging from 14-21 years old with no real idea or respect for the game. They'd have a few frisbees each, threw them all with a ton of hyzer and nose up, take a 12 on each hole, move to the next hole, yell some more, rinse/repeat.

This happened this past Sunday, that is up until the biggest guy in our group told everyone of them if they didn't get quiet he'd beat their asses. Guess what? They got very quiet then left after like 20 minutes...was pretty funny. I play and have played with some guys who don't tolerate idiocy on a course, weather you're new to the game or not.

Yea, threating them with violence was immature and he may have chased off potential future DGers, but he got his point across. Show some courtesy or GTFO.

PS - Another reason he was pissed at them is due to us noticing one of their guys hole out, yelled F$#K!!! then slammed his disc across the chains really hard. Kinda pissed us all off.

Last edited:
Some days I'm very thankful I live in a smaller town where I have little to no wait time at the tee pads (and half the time I do, its for a jogger or vehicle to pass). I know a lot of you aren't so fortunate.

Frustration with overcrowded courses in multi-use parks is what's going to sprout the growth of more pay courses, both public and private. We're seeing this in some DG hotbeds already.

Some days I'm very thankful I live in a smaller town where I have little to no wait time at the tee pads (and half the time I do, its for a jogger or vehicle to pass). I know a lot of you aren't so fortunate.

Frustration with overcrowded courses in multi-use parks is what's going to sprout the growth of more pay courses, both public and private. We're seeing this in some DG hotbeds already.

Very true, I know being free-to-play is a big draw but I'd rather pay a small fee to ensure that only serious disc golfers or those who want to get into disc golfing are on the course. That way, I don't have to deal with my above mentioned example.

I guess I'm lucky I live in a non disc golf spot. The course I go to is in a multi use park, but it's set up so that people can hang around out of they way of DGers. There is maybe 1 group out there at the same time I am. I just burn through the course quick.

I have also noticed a dramatic increase at my local course. Lots of kids especially. In one way its cool, but we could use a couple more courses or two, especially one designed for beginners. Crowdedness makes me appreciate those areas with courses at all levels available.

Yeah, it is happening at my home course a lot. I am all for the sport growth but some of the group sizes and some the DB's that show up are no fun.

I've noticed more people out around here than there were last summer already, it's definitely growing in popularity. It's a good thing and a bad thing, I just try to take it in stride and be friendly to the people I meet while trying to gently point out some basics of course etiquette.

My local course is really crowded. I've found that the best time to play is weekdays before 4. I work nights so I have the benefit of going out during the day. It's a totally different crowd than the weekend one, and it's usually the same people playing so you know a good number of the people out there. They're usually the better players too. At nights and especially on the weekend you're more likely to run into the eightsomes who don't offer to let you play through by yourself, take 10 shots to hole out, etc.

Low tide is definitely the best time to hit the course, and playing during the day with better players has definitely improved my game.