• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Congestion

I haven't been to my home course in a while, but I'm not usually there on the weekend. My pay to play isn't as convenient. It's on a Lighted Par 3 ball golf course. You won't see me there again until after September. To many ball golfers. You don't really know how much faster Disc Golf plays than Ball golf, until you are forced to share a course with them. I've lapped a group before! lol I asked to play through on #2, and then caught up to them again on my second round on hole 8. lol I was by myself.

crowding...

Definitely noticed an increase in the amount of people out throwing lately, especially during "peak" hours. Fortunately, I live in an area where there are quite a few courses within 45 minutes to an hour's drive from my house. Even more important, is the fact that my schedule allows me to play at times that are not traditionally super-busy: earlier, weekday mornings are when I get most of my rounds in. In spite of the increase in traffic, I haven't noticed that many more D Bags than usual....although, that may be related more to my early morning rounds, than to less D Bags.

Has anyone else seen a dramatic increase in the number of people out at your local course this spring? I'm all for growing the sport, but lately its been getting kinda ridiculous. I mean, seeing groups of 4 people max are great, but lately I've continually seen more and more groups of 6, 7, and 8; some of which are even pushing strollers around on the course. :doh:

Luckily there's another course just outside of town in a county park that is pay to enter so I'll be hitting that up a lot more often than I used to. Anyone else in a similar situation?

I resent that! I've been out to several courses, including my home course and the very rugged ski hills of Winter Park and the very hilly Vollrath, with my 6-month-old daughter in tow, IN A STROLLER. I may play a little slower, but I always let groups through if they catch me on a tee. We had a large group of like 7 at Winter Park, but usually it's just me, my 9-year-old son, and baby in the stroller. Don't knock us 'cause we're out there with our families, getting them familiar with and involved in something that we love! :p

similar to this thread where I started to feel sorry for people who live in Michigan lol jk....http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15251

I'm extremely grateful that I live just a short drive away from a 52-hole DG paradise that doesn't get too much traffic because it's outside the city and kind of a long drive for most people. 3 different 18-hole courses to choose from with one of em that is maybe the best in the state...

I too have noticed an increase.

There are several options available, IMO..., play in the mornings, educate the newbies, or, play at a private course.

It was a dozen years ago on our annual Spring Trip to Austin, we were at Pease, and one of my friends said "I hope disc golf never gets this popular in Des Moines".

Here is my soon to be patented course populometer with the added doucheometer.

attachment.php

Attachments

• playing.PNG
    playing.PNG
    11.1 KB · Views: 113
The two courses closest to me have certainly become more much more crowded over the last couple of years, but that disadvantage has been counterbalanced by new courses being installed, and the courses that are just a little further out not being crowded. So now if I can get out prior to 10 am on a weekend, I'll go to the nicer in-town course, but if it's a more crowded time that's still ok, I'll drive 10 more minutes and play one of the several courses more on the outskirts of town. I'd rather play a quiet round on a more average course than wade through a bunch of overlarge sometimes less than polite groups on an above average course.

Yeah the stroller comment bugs me, just because some people pushing strollers are slow doesn't mean we all are. If I have the stroller, we are usually in a group of 3 (myself and my son and wife) and wee play pretty fast. If we are slowing someone down we let them play through. No matter the group size that is what we try to do.

I too have noticed th increase of players on certain courses.... i use to play peshtigo and marinette all the time and never see a soul!!!!! Well, maybe a group here and there and Marinette... But damn, almost all the courses in Green Bay are packed these days.... Pinecrest park is probally the least populated of the 4 there.... so, what i did was just build a decent private nine holer....... But neway its nice seeing people out there but there are time were i just would love to be out there alone....

^^^^^To follow Shuie's post....Green Bay was one of the areas that I've been using for years already, that is @40 minutes outside my "home zone" (which has a 27 holer, 3 18s, and 3 9s...and has still been crowded for some time). The 40 minute stretch, which adds more than my home number possibilities, is now crowded as well. We have a private pay to play opening soon (will be one of the better courses in a state with more than 150); and it looks as if at least one of my local, public courses, will be going pay to play next year; so, that should help some. Disc golf certainly growing by leaps and bounds.

I resent that! I've been out to several courses, including my home course and the very rugged ski hills of Winter Park and the very hilly Vollrath, with my 6-month-old daughter in tow, IN A STROLLER. I may play a little slower, but I always let groups through if they catch me on a tee. We had a large group of like 7 at Winter Park, but usually it's just me, my 9-year-old son, and baby in the stroller. Don't knock us 'cause we're out there with our families, getting them familiar with and involved in something that we love! :p

Most of the people I've seen pushing a stroller haven't been bad, but there was this one douche I saw last summer that I just couldn't believe.

He was pushing a stroller in one hand, carrying a 30 pack of Keystone in the other, and wearing his bag set up with speakers blasting 80s rock music along with about 6 of his friends.

Twice I saw him finish a hole, grab his 30 pack, and head off to the next tee, completely forgetting his kid in the stroller until he was already at the next tee pad. Nothing like valuing your case of cheap beer more than your own kid.

Most of the people I've seen pushing a stroller haven't been bad, but there was this one douche I saw last summer that I just couldn't believe.

He was pushing a stroller in one hand, carrying a 30 pack of Keystone in the other, and wearing his bag set up with speakers blasting 80s rock music along with about 6 of his friends.

Twice I saw him finish a hole, grab his 30 pack, and head off to the next tee, completely forgetting his kid in the stroller until he was already at the next tee pad. Nothing like valuing your case of cheap beer more than your own kid.

Now that's just ridiculous...that's why I just keep a bottle of Captain Morgan IN the stroller with the baby--easy access and lightweight! ;)

I like that the sport is growing in popularity, but it drives me nuts. They should build more courses then.

Counties don't want to build more courses, it is a huge waste of space for them that they don't make money on.

IF we want more courses we either:

a) Need to get used to paying per round
b) Be prepared to rent the course for $100/hr for leagues and tournaments
c) Build our own.

It won't be long before states and counties say hey...you guys are big enough now, we are going to treat you just like any other sport in the park.

Get ready for $100 rec tournament entry fees and $250 pro fees.

Better get that corporate sponsorship ready.

I like that the sport is growing in popularity, but it drives me nuts. They should build more courses then.

Exactly, supply & demand. The sport is growing through players but in order to house the rapidly growing playerbase, it needs to grow through more courses as well.

We brought this to our Parks & Rec's attention and they've noticed it as well, so hopefully they'll consider more courses here.

I think it has a lot to do with spring. I always see more people in early spring and late fall than any other time. There is more people than usual, but that's a good thing right? I thought everyone wants disc golf to be "mainstream"? ;)

I've also noticed an increase during the odd times that I play. I skipped a round Saturday because the course I went to was packed. Admittedly it was about 2PM but it was drizzling. I expect that once school's out I'll see even more. I guess it's time to start playing early in the day.