• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Obstacle, Paintball Bunker?

BCDan

Par Member
So , there has been use of Hay-bales on courses as obstacles, what about using Paintball Bunkers for obstacles for when a course or specific hole might be too open? Would this be tacky?

http://www.supairball.com/competition-edition.html
training-product.jpg

I used to avidly paintball. Always wished I could play through an entire course of them! Course designers and others may drastically disagree

Cabin Creek golf course/paint ball in Butler county Ohio. The paint ball obstacles were installed without consideration of disc golf obstacles but they can get in the way at times.
Nice private course used for the 1998 Worlds.

None of the current pictures show the paint ball. These pictures are old.

I'd say they're not tall enough for most holes. But this is also my complaint about lots of trees that are on open holes.

Cabin Creek golf course/paint ball in Butler county Ohio. The paint ball obstacles were installed without consideration of disc golf obstacles but they can get in the way at times.
Nice private course used for the 1998 Worlds.

None of the current pictures show the paint ball. These pictures are old.

You're right Jay, needs some new pix here.

But the 300 foot uphill hole 8 would be my choice of a representative picture for now: the 'castle' structure near the top of the hill stands 6-8 feet high, and the two basket positions are beyond that. Most of us medium arms have to decide if we can get over the castle wall, or need to play safe to either side.

The other picture on hole 6 gives folks an idea of how playing over a field of paintball obstacles might be. The basket is long over the center tree and doglegs to the right, out on a creek-bounded 'peninsula'.

But the 300 foot uphill hole 8 would be my choice of a representative picture for now: the 'castle' structure near the top of the hill stands 6-8 feet high, and the two basket positions are beyond that. Most of us medium arms have to decide if we can get over the castle wall, or need to play safe to either side.

The other picture on hole 6 gives folks an idea of how playing over a field of paintball obstacles might be. The basket is long over the center tree and doglegs to the right, out on a creek-bounded 'peninsula'.
Hole 8 came to mind after I posted that. Good example. You're right about hole 6 and to me hole 12's landing area can cause problems for my putts to the basket, depending where my drive lands. Hole 15 has some obstacles on the right side of the fairway that comes into play for me when the basket is in the long position down the left side of the hill.

Id put it off to the side on a hole, but not as a basket blocker. Only hit it if you mis throw basically.

You could use their obstacles but I wouldn't want them writing anything for me. LOL

Classic shapes for a neat field at a low price.This is the perfect option for a second , lesser cost, speedball field
Keep your WPBO fiel for the tourny playres and offer the same type of play to walk-ons and seminar groups on a professional looking speedball field, at a much lower cost.
Forget the old tires, soiled drums and rotten wooden pallets. Bring fresh and clean-looking Supairball bunkers to your park and attarct chirch groups, team building seminars, and new players not looking to comepte against the local semi-pro teams.

:doh: Spell check would do wonders for this company.

Looks like playing in a grave yard. Just an observation.

What's next wind mills? Sorry..someone had to be "that guy". But seriously...I have always thought courses could use artificial objects to create more diversity in a hole....if needed.

What's next wind mills? Sorry..someone had to be "that guy". But seriously...I have always thought courses could use artificial objects to create more diversity in a hole....if needed.

Cabin Creek makes a lot more money off the paintball. I understand the "windmill" comment and somewhat agree. OTOH if a course needs revenue to survive this might be an option.

The little ace run no10 at Cabin Creek has the big spool right in the middle of the fairway. It actually gives that hole some challenge. Its just tall enough to force a slightly nose up shot and there is Vietnam style jungle all down the left side...:thmbup:

Cabin Creek makes a lot more money off the paintball. I understand the "windmill" comment and somewhat agree. OTOH if a course needs revenue to survive this might be an option.
Bingo. If the property is being shared, they should be able to limit either activity to a certain set of days or weekends without affecting either group too badly, and bring in more ca$h so that both can continue.

Last edited:
Bingo. If the property is being shared, they should be able to limit either activity to a certain set of days or weekends without affecting either group too badly, and bring in more ca$h so that both can continue.
They pretty much restrict DG to weekdays or weekend holidays. Memorial and Labor Day there is an unsanctioned mini. Its far enough out of the way that they don't get a lot of DG traffic these days. Also, Bill and Midge don't play anymore, so the course(the parts that don't have a paintball field) gets pretty wild during the summer...

Latest posts