• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses that make you relieved you shot 8 over

New013

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Basically just post courses where you shoot way over and feel like you had a solid round; and left grateful you had all of your discs still.

My example is Leigh Farms because I played from the Advanced Gold tees for the first time today and every basket was in the long position. I finished up with a 68 (7+) and honestly I felt happy to get that. It took some insanely skilled (lucky) second shots out of deep woods to keep me close to par on some holes.

4 for instance has some of the thickest stuff I've ever seen on a course right next to the fairway (road). I felt like an idiot for going in it because my first drive went about 350 and landed right off the road. I threw my wraith next for kicks, I kinda tripped up and ended up throwing my wraith extremely nose up so it just went right in to the crazy stuff. took me a good 20 minutes to find it.

7 requires you to play up on a mound. if you miss the fairway and mound you end up on the side of the mound which is crazy unstable terrain covered in crazy long grass. Luckily my disc was easy to spot.

On 9 I threw my tee shot off to the right in to the woods, I played out and back on to the mound and couldn't find my disc for a bit.

A good number of the wooded holes have random trees sprinkled in the fairway, its honestly a matter of luck for anyone who isn't amazingly accurate. It's like DB's on steroids in some spots.

I know the course is a work in progress but the place could use a serious makeover in that some underbrush could be cleared out. I might hit the peoples up running it and ask when the next time they are going out and working on it.

Having said all of that I think the layout is pretty well devised for the advanced tees. The Rec course is just bad and dangerous because people on either of the courses could easily smack you with a disc while you're out there. The advanced course is a real challenge though, it humbled me.

Nockamixon. I usually shoot around 90 there--that's 24 over par. If I shot a 74 I'd be thrilled.

Nockamixon is an insane name for a course. DGCR has the average score at 85... 21 over. Holy Crap I think that course takes the cake. Anyone have any courses where the average score is more than 21 over. I wish the search field would allow you to search for average score.

The Toboggan... it's a humbling experience. I'd be very happy to leave with all my discs and 8 up for the round.

8 over on Leviathan from the longs - hell that's a pretty good round .

Every course Ive ever played

Seriously though, WilCo in Leander, TX.
Played it for the first time on Monday, and I wish it was my home course because my game would be so much better. 600ft blind teeshots through some of the most dense woods, left to right all day. Here's a quick summary of that round. First shot - Thwack. Second shot - thwack into the woods. Third shot - thumb roller 30 feet back into the fairway. 4th shot - thwack, but at least I made it within 200 feet. 2 putt. Repeat x18. Add 2 for the longer holes.

Moraine state park in portersville pa. The course has 3 sets of tees, white, blue and gold. Even from the white tees, I'm happy to shoot less than 10 over.

Average score here can be quite skewed if the same kid keeps entering high scores. The best way to measure course difficulty is SSA, and that award would go to Iron Hill, DE. I was happy with 30 over when I played it a few years ago. It makes calling everything par 3 ridiculous when the top pros average 72 or par 4.

What's crazier about Nockamixon is that the scoreboard stats include many entries when it was just 14 holes and a few walk off incomplete rounds. My best there was an 8 over 75 when it was a par 67. It's longer now and a 68. Tonight at doubles me and partner finished even at 68. I think the 3 courses would have to be Nocky , Nevin , and Iron Hill.

its funny how when you look up moraine st park and the stats...

the white tee scores are on average more over par than the blue tee scores and the blue tee scores are on average more over par than the gold tee scores

Average score here can be quite skewed if the same kid keeps entering high scores. The best way to measure course difficulty is SSA, and that award would go to Iron Hill, DE. I was happy with 30 over when I played it a few years ago. It makes calling everything par 3 ridiculous when the top pros average 72 or par 4.

Cedar Hill in Nashville is another course where it feels insane to have all the holes at par 3... no I don't want to start another "lets argue about if its better to play all holes as 3's discussion".. i'm just saying when you play some of the long pin positions you are like... 3 shots.. really.. really?

The best way to measure course difficulty is SSA, and that award would go to Iron Hill, DE. I was happy with 30 over when I played it a few years ago. It makes calling everything par 3 ridiculous when the top pros average 72 or par 4.

exactly. it is a beast. but i feel like it's a very fair course.

I shot a 95 or 96 when i played there for the first time last fall. granted, it was a day after i had played a tournament and slept on someone's couch. not feeling the freshest.

I went back in april and shot an 80 and it didn't feel amazing or anything at the time. i had two double bogeys, five bogeys, and a miracle 150ft. upshot that skipped off a huge rock (hole 12) and gave me the only birdie of the day. but it was definitely the best 8 over I've shot. Playing courses like that makes you look at all other courses differently.

Of the courses I've played more than once, for my skill level Nevin, Renny Gold, The Web, WR Jackson, and Stoney Hill all fit this bill. Even Stankin' Rankin (all the long tees and pin placements) feels good for me to shoot +8. Playing the long tees at Va-Du-Mar fall into this category, too. The Angry Beaver (Elon long) is another. Many of the courses around here, if not most, I would feel good to shoot 8 over par.

maybe i should change the name of this thread to.. 20 over and skipping