• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Crave vs Servo - Minimalism

Crave or Servo?

• Crave

Votes: 28 73.7%
  • Servo

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters
Getting to the point now where I'll need to chose some MVP/Axiom molds over others and agree the Crave is the more versatile disc. But, the Servo really is fun to throw, especially with a rainbow Skullboy stamp on it!

Servo. More reliable in wind, better for cycling so that you could have an understable Beaten in servo and a fresh stable servo. Either way the servo or crave are great discs but this is a preference thing only you can answer.

This is also where minimalism breaks down. If you swap the concept of disc wear for new molds everything snaps back into place. Crave is literally your worn Servo... your Servo would be the minimal mold if it ever fully beat into a Crave.

Especially when you're throwing a single company or family of discs for that speed category, methinks. With MVP/Axiom, for example, the feel is so similar across their speed 7s that transitioning between molds is super comfortable. While my lineup is a bit more varied company-wise, the smaller diameters of the Crave and Saint Pro fit really well together, so transitioning between them is rather seamless.

Man you might as well be fighting an Eagle guy about this :)

IMO a QJ's more useful than a TB for the go-to slot. But going out with only a QJ and no TB to back it up situationally, that's dicey. So my vote is for Crave go-to and Servo as some muscle. They replace my QJ/TB buddy movie just fine.

This is also where minimalism breaks down. If you swap the concept of disc wear for new molds everything snaps back into place. Crave is literally your worn Servo... your Servo would be the minimal mold if it ever fully beat into a Crave.

I like the way this guy thinks.

I'm in this same boat currently.
I was going to drop all the speed 9's (like you) and pick up a tesla/inertia combo for driver responsiblities.
After playing a round with what I've got I will probably drop the servo for the Volt. (Along side the Switch, Crave and Resistor) I have a FR volt that flips a little easier than the Servo and a new overstable P Eclipse volt that pair well together. It also has a lot less L-R movement on BH drives than the Inertia.

We'll see what happens when the tesla shows up. :thmbup:

It's an interesting problem. I love the line shaping of the crave. It's such a fun workable disc, however....I often reach for the servo because that sharp fade makes it so trustworthy and easy to range. I guess beating in a servo, however long it takes, shoulddddd make it a more versatile disc. quick question, I have a couple circle stamp eagles for overstable duties. Other than availability, does the resistor offer anything that they don't?

Avoiding this dilemma is one reason I don't have a Crave yet.

I love the servo, I think the harder bite right at the end is useful, and I've never had more success throwing controlled anny FHs than with this disc.

The FH bit is why, even if I get/fall in love with a Crave, I think I'll still keep the Servo in the bag.

I've got one that's wearing in, and so far I'm not seeing it lose any LSS, so I do wonder what the Servo wears into. I like what some are saying about beat Servo = Crave, but we don't really know for sure that the Servo beats into a Crave yet.

IMO a QJ's more useful than a TB for the go-to slot. But going out with only a QJ and no TB to back it up situationally, that's dicey. So my vote is for Crave go-to and Servo as some muscle. They replace my QJ/TB buddy movie just fine.

Boom

Have you ever read DGR? I bet you could write them some great articles on minimalism...

quick question, I have a couple circle stamp eagles for overstable duties. Other than availability, does the resistor offer anything that they don't?

I'm not familiar with that particular breed of Eagles, but unless they're freakishly overstable, the Resistor is going to be beefier than them. The Resistor handle take any wind, basically, and is probably better for low ceiling skip shots than your Eagles.

well you can always rotate them depending the course or winds...

I pondered this too but after throwing the crave in 25+ MPH winds... it does just fine and not enough difference to make worth keeping both. rather throw a resistor or something faster if that's the line I want.

Davm- Eagle should have more of a helix flight pattern with turn and hard fade where the resistor is straight with fade and also a little slower IMO. Resistor is very much like a trident/XXX hybrid or predator/flick and banshee/fb. The shock/servo are more similar to eagles.

This is what I do with two rivals and two patriots. All four have the same "speed" but each has a different stability. I use all four very often and would miss any one of them if they were gone. I am even looking to find a really overstable rival between my most overstable rival (straight flyer) and my XXX because it's been so windy this year I've been missing that hornet/hurricane like level of overstability in my fairway drivers to make some hyzer shots more simple and easy. However I've been searching and it doesn't look like I am going to be able to find one so I will probably have to get a different mold. I don't care about a new mold but obviously many people do. Whether you do it with 5 teebirds because you've been throwing them for years and have many beat up ones or 5 different molds it doesn't matter one bit IMO, don't over simplify your bag! In my book that is as silly and detrimental as over complicating your bag.

I am the furthest thing from a mold minimalist. I would have to say I like the Crave for BH and I have been killing it with the Servo FH, especially on anny lines to get a nice s out of it. I will carry both. Works great alongside my Switch and Resistor, they all feel similar to me, which is a plus.