• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Crave vs Servo - Minimalism

Crave or Servo?

• Crave

Votes: 28 73.7%
  • Servo

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters

in4d

*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*
I am a bag minimalist, because of this i am having a hard time deciding between using the Crave or the Servo as my main fairway driver.

Already, i am dropping the entire 'speed 9' MVP lineup (Shock, Volt, Amp) except for my seasoned volt (until i develop a good consistency and feel with either the servo or crave) and replacing the speed 9's with slightly higher speed 10-12 discs like the inertia, tesla, and then some Legacy/Millennium distance drivers. I did this because i can throw the 'speed 7' (Resistor, Servo, Crave, Switch) fairways nearly as far with slightly better control so i don't see the need for added overlap in my game.

Anyways..

The topic is Crave vs Servo so i digress,

I have thrown both for a couple weeks now and CAN NOT decide between which one i want to bag for my straight-overstable slot, i feel like i can interchange them and do the same things for the most part aside from slight differences..

The Crave:
- Holds straight longer and a more forward fade than the Servo.
- Is a little longer than the Servo.
- Holds anny releases slightly longer before transitioning back to flat.
- Comes in brighter colors.
- My Rating: -1 HSS 1.5 LSS

The Servo:
- Has a bit stronger fade finish than the Crave.
- Is easier to range distance with.
- transitions back to flat quicker on anny releases.
- Handles wind a little better.
- My Rating: -0.5 HSS 2 LSS

Keeping in mind that i use a Resistor for beefy OS and a Switch for slightly under-stable turnovers, which one of these would you recommend using as my main workable fairway driver?

Last edited:
I personally like a little more stability in my discs in general so would favor the servo.

I prefer something more workable like the Crave. I think the Resistor, Crave, Switch make a better grouping. For a work horse fairway it needs to be something that will fade foward, not dump. I found the Servo had more left forward fade than I need. Your main fairway driver needs to be something you can tweak to finish forward on multiple angles and I just don't think the Servo can handle that without some serious seasoning.

Out of the box I would lean Crave, too. You can use the Resistor when the wind really kicks up. But if you already have a good amount of wear on your Servos you can probably stick with them.

There is the added benefit of Proton and Neutron Craves over only Neutron Servos if that sways you at all.

The Crave is my favorite by far. It seems to get a bit more distance and is more versatile than the Servo. A lot of the shots a Servo would take could be handled by the Resistor, if you need that hard fade.

Yeah I have 2 craves and 2 switches. And in all the years I've been playing, I think I like throwing them more than any other disc I've owned... 10am tomorrow I will be at Disc Nation picking up my skullboy tesla and the new proton crave

I tried the following driver setup today and enjoyed it:

2x Crave
2x Resistor
3x Volts
1 Inertia
3x Teslas

I'm in the same boat as you. I like, and was bagging all of MVP's drivers except the Amp (Use a beat FR Volt instead). Trying to slim it down and go with what I need rather than one of everything. It's tough because I have a lot of good shots with Shocks and Servos....

The crave.. main reason the forward fade vs the dumpier fade of th
e servo. The crave will also adapt to a line better than the servo which will fight noticeably faster towards stability for me.

I really suggest a Teebird. Best disc of all time, can't go wrong. Different plastics offer different stabilities. Teebird is the answer to your issues. ;)

Having thrown neither (I plan on getting a Crave) and basing it on what you would carry in your bag, I would say the Crave. I imagine the Proton might add some extra stability due to the aerodynamics of that type of plastic. That, and you could cover shots that require more fade with a broken in Resistor or a distance driver.

I will make a push for the Crave. I went out to field throw this afternoon, really only to throw the Crave (neutron). It got matched up to a Volt, Resistor, and Servo. I specifically used the wind to see what would happen. Into a headwind, the Crave out flew the all threw (with a hyzer flip). With the tail wind, it was no contest. I plan to carry a neutron Crave and a Proton. Servo is out. Volt and Resistor still have a purpose for shot shaping.

It's interesting to me that everyone seems pro-Crave. I love the Crave - its unique combination of HSS and minimal but reliable fade helped simplify some ambiguity in my fairways that had been plaguing me for a few months - and I haven't yet thrown the Servo, so I can't comment directly on the mold. But from what I understand about it, if I was going to roll with only a three mold setup like in4d outlined, and had to choose one to go between the Resistor and the Switch, I would probably lean towards the Servo. I can think of a lot of shots where I'd want the extra fade but not want to sacrifice the D that I would if I used the Resistor for those shots. My thinking would be that I could hyzerflip the Switch to straight.

Just an outside thought: what about Resistor-Servo-Crave? As I said, I haven't thrown the Servo, so maybe the overlap is just too great, but I feel like I'd want the extra fade of the Servo as compared to the Crave more often than the extra understablity of the Switch as compared to the Crave. The Crave's fade is reliable, but it can work a lot of Leopard-like gradual turning lines fairly easily, and hyzerflip to straight for tight quarters very reliably.

I solved this problem myself by going with four fairway molds, with the Saint Pro in there for windier conditions and when I want the extra fade, and the Underworld in there for utility understable. But obviously that doesn't work if your goal is minimalism.

I need another disc like I need a hole in the head....but I think I might have to try a servo. the proton eclipse volt I have is to OS for what I wanted it for and to long for me to throw accurately on shorter tunnel shots like my old volt. the servo might be what I need.

Perhaps i should keep the Volt/Crave and drop the Servo.. but then it depends how much the Volt and Tesla overlap.. if the Tesla is a bit longer than the volt with similar flight like everyone is saying then i will have to drop the volt.

I have a feeling the craves will break in after a couple weeks and get less HSS, Maybe i Should just beat up a servo to fly like a fresh crave?

:doh:

The problem is, MVP has created overlap with some very good molds that i feel are all worthy of being in the bag

:wall:

The last thing i need is a dilemma before tournament season kicks into full swing.

For a work horse fairway it needs to be something that will fade foward, not dump.

crucial. this is exactly how i feel and why i knew immediately the gstar teebird was my newfound love.

i say roll with the crave. who knows. at some point you may be able to beat one in and get rid of the switch. i would keep the volt. i'm in a similar conundrum except i might be keeping my SPD and kicking my champ teebird. very similar concept. i probably won't do it because i'm not *that* dedicated to minimalism but yeah. i could see it working.

Last edited:
I really suggest a Teebird. Best disc of all time, can't go wrong. Different plastics offer different stabilities. Teebird is the answer to your issues. ;)
Man you might as well be fighting an Eagle guy about this :)

IMO a QJ's more useful than a TB for the go-to slot. But going out with only a QJ and no TB to back it up situationally, that's dicey. So my vote is for Crave go-to and Servo as some muscle. They replace my QJ/TB buddy movie just fine.

This is also where minimalism breaks down. If you swap the concept of disc wear for new molds everything snaps back into place. Crave is literally your worn Servo... your Servo would be the minimal mold if it ever fully beat into a Crave.

Perhaps i should keep the Volt/Crave and drop the Servo.. but then it depends how much the Volt and Tesla overlap.. if the Tesla is a bit longer than the volt with similar flight like everyone is saying then i will have to drop the volt.

I have a feeling the craves will break in after a couple weeks and get less HSS, Maybe i Should just beat up a servo to fly like a fresh crave?

:doh:

The problem is, MVP has created overlap with some very good molds that i feel are all worthy of being in the bag

:wall:

The last thing i need is a dilemma before tournament season kicks into full swing.
well you can always rotate them depending the course or winds...

Latest posts