• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Creating a disc golf club

jcf5083

Double Eagle Member
I'd like to begin to put together a small scale disc golf club, because I live in a small suburb that doesn't have one but we do have a few DGers. I plan to start it through my High School and branch it out from there. My plan right now is to ask for $5 to order bag tags from Disc Diva and from there we go out as a group to different local courses. My question is, do you think there are any other things I need to do to build a strong foundation for my club?

Look on other club sites and put together a short list of bylaws and know exactly what the purpose of the club is.

Is it to run tournaments?

Is it to promote and grow the sport?

Is to run a point series?

There are lots of clubs. Some having thriving membership and others don't. Make it worth people's effort and money to join and your club will grow. If you offer very little other than a bag tag, you might not grow at all.

As soon as $ enters the equation you need to have a very clear mandate and purpose.

If you are starting a club just to go play courses, then just set it up on something like yahoo groups and don't bother with tags, etc.

Our club can be found at www.odgc.ca

we charge $40 a year and use the money for many things from course development and maintenance t running tournys

Good work on starting the club! We have people just go out and play at my high school. I'm the president, and I ask what course we want to go to and then we go once a week after school. I don't thing you really have to make it a competition, I'm using it just as a way to help spread the sport.

Last edited:
It really does sound like Tulsa rocks the disc golf. I wish we could say the same around my neck of the woods. Perhaps we'll get there some day! :thmbup:

The difficult part here is running it through your school.

I find it hard to believe you'll be allowed to collect any money yourself from a school club. You'll also need a sponsor, and clearance from the principle/school board.

I'd recommend just starting it locally and much more freelance. You could tell kids at school, or even make flyers, but I wouldn't associate it with the school without some serious research.

Or just look at our club page compared to any other on the PDGA Site.

http://www.pdga.com/discussion/forumdisplay.php?f=199

This club has been here a while Hosted the 2006 Am worlds and two NTs. We have 17 courses in the metro area we take care of.

I love your guys courses, but I wish with such an active club, you guys would get your own forums instead of using the PDGA site, which your non-PDGA folks (probably 90% of your local DG'ers) don't have access to. Like say these....

http://forum.mhdgc.org/
http://www.kansasdiscgolf.com/forum/
http://nebdiscforums.yuku.com/
http://www.kcfdc.org/forum/
http://iowadg.com/forum/index.php

That's why your PDGA board has so many comments, while most others hardly have any. People have nowhere else to post. Even a general OK DG forum similar to the Iowa board would be better than nothing.

Yea, if you're going to only do bag tags in your club....don't charge and make them cheap. Cut up a 1 x 2 or 3 or something. Paint numbers on it, drill a hole, cover with a sealer or something.

We are going into our fifth season as an amateur league. Last year we charged 25 dollars which covered a league dyed disc and a graphic T-Shirt with our logo on it. The few cents left over was invested into traveling trophies that can be passed down from year to year. That was the mandatory fee. Notice no prizes outside of the three trophies were built into that fee. It really takes people who want to have fun to commit to 25 dollars where there is no monetary pay out. Currently we have 15 to 17 people.

We do run voluntary things like Ace Pools, Bag Tags, and CTP Pools. The Ace Pool is straight forward. 1 dollar per round. No one hits it, the money carries over to the next league event. However, you must contribute in that event in order to win it that day. If you do not invest that day and hit an ace, too bad, even if you had invested in the past. However, if it is one of those bomber courses where only a few of us can reach the baskets, the ace pool is not active unless at least five people contribute. We also run CTPs. If the Ace Pool is not active, people can contribute 1 dollar per round but that is immediately paid out at the end of the event; not touching the ace pool. Regardless, we kept track of all the CTPs throughout the whole year. Every event has at least 2 CTPs regardless if we are playing an Ace or CTP Pool. The top three players with the most CTPs split up whatever money was left in the Ace Pool at the end of the year. Year 3 had an ace in the second to last event, carrying no money over, but Year 4 no one hit an ace and we split 90 dollars three ways (50/25/15).

We also ran bag tags at 5 dollars a pop. For production sake we used high quality poker chips, burnt the numbers into the plastic, drilled a hole through the chip (it was fun discovering that poker chips have metal in the middle), and attached a key ring. The whole production cost 1 dollar per chip, leaving 4 dollars per tag for prizes to be split amongst the three lowest numbers present at the year end event. (35/15/10)

This kind of money guarantees you cannot run it at school. As a teacher I am instructed in what constitutes as gambling, and as silly as it may sound, since money is exchanging hands it is a form of gambling. If you did it strictly for fun but have a club status, no money involved, you should be able to get it approved as long as a licensed teacher is involved and or a grownup who passed a criminal background check. If you want to collect fees just to strictly cover expenses, you definitely should get the school board involved. Since it would not cost the school any money, I do not see a reason for them to turn it down. You might even be able to push Innova's EDGE program (which will cost the school money but under the Presidential Initiative to promote healthy lifestyles your school might find some federal funding for it).

We only meet once a month as a whole league, making sure it is a different course every time. This gives people an opportunity to go out and play a course they rarely do, and likely several times as they get some practice. However, we schedule three individual head-to-head matches for each player every month. They can be played any where and at any time the two players can schedule it as long as they are completed before the next league event. Since most of us are working age, some with kids, this type of scheduling works out great.

One thing our league does every year is a road trip encompassing three days in late August. Year 1 and 2 we played all the courses in and around St. Cloud (MN). Year 3 and 4 we camped at Highbridge, WI. Next year we are thinking of hitting the best courses around Des Moines, IA.

Lastly, Year 5 we are thinking of upping the entrance fee to 30 dollars. We are also considering hosting a Discraft Ace Race. The extra fee in the money is going to be a for a league t-shirt and an admission into our Ace Race. We are technically losing the league dyed disc, but will be gaining the two prototypes as well as the rest of the player's package.

Hopefully this gave you several ideas.

In metro Atlanta, we kind of have two levels of club. There are individual clubs that focus around one or two courses, such as the Roswell Disc Golf Club, the Gwinett (County) disc golf club, etc., and then we have the ADGO, which is the "Atlanta Disc Golf Organization." They don't focus on any particular course, but sponsor events and such around the greater metro area. The ADGO has an active web forum but the more local clubs generally do not. If you don't have an active club membership of over 50 people, you're not likely to get much chatter on your forum. I know from experience: as webmaster of the Cobb Disc Golf Club, I set up a forum and nobody ever posted. :( You might do better with something like a Facebook page or a Disc Golf Scene page than with a web forum.

Today I made a Facebook Group to see what people thought about the idea, thanks for the help guys!

Point series is fun and can give more incentive for showing up.

An easy format is 2 pts for showing up, 2 points for every person or team you beat. Depending on the size of turnouts, aces can be awarded points.

Point series is fun and can give more incentive for showing up.

An easy format is 2 pts for showing up, 2 points for every person or team you beat. Depending on the size of turnouts, aces can be awarded points.

This is great too!

Latest posts