• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

I have seen that the heavy weight AJ Star destroyers tend to be meathooks and fight the wind well.

PLH is the most important thing.

My 167g with super high PLH is a good bit more OS than my pop top 175g with normal PLH

I've got a yellow JL factory second I got from the factory store with super high PLH that is my most overstable by far. After that comes my Wiggins star and then a retro-stamped, pink JL. All of those are pretty much meathooks on a calm day for me (max D around 400) and excellent wind fighters.

They are all over the damn place. Just get one and check the plh. No real good way to tell anymore, the new runs are somewhat consistent....but also different than other runs. I found one red marbled star destroyer at gggt last week that was literally FAF. Probably the most over stable destroyer ever made.

They are all over the damn place. Just get one and check the plh. No real good way to tell anymore, the new runs are somewhat consistent....but also different than other runs. I found one red marbled star destroyer at gggt last week that was literally FAF. Probably the most over stable destroyer ever made.

I have one of those that's about 4-5 years old. Very pretty much identical to the FAF super overstable Japan Open molds from 2010 but this one is max weight. Not a big fan of that one for some reason though. Probably more mental/feel than anything.

Which Destroyer do you guys feel is (generally) the most overstable? I understand there are varieties even in the same production run but I haven't tried out all the plastic blends and I'm looking to get some backups. I'm especially interested in a distance driver that will fight the wind. Right now I'm thinking heavyweight Champ, Jolly Launcher, and star Destroyers are the ones that fit the bill.

Hmmmm. Brand new, my most stable star destroyers ( red swirly sds175 and japan open superstable 160) fly just like my beat in xcaliber, just with slightly less distance. So if you want something to fill that os destroyer slot long term, I highly recommend the star xcaliber. If you are looking for an os destroyer to beat in to a straight bomber though, as others have said, you should look at the plh.

Not 'hard and fast' rules but i've noticed....

Most of the new AJ stamped Star Destroyers (with the A & J overlapping) are pretty overstable. If it has a pop-top you can almost guarantee it regardless of weight.

Most of the new bottom stamped Star Destroyers seem SUPER overstable. I haven't had my hands on too many though so that just might have been the limited stock locally.

Other than that... you just kinda have to throw Destroyers, pay attention to the disc characteristics and figure out what you like. Then buy a ton of em while you can get your hands on them.

Hmmmm. Brand new, my most stable star destroyers ( red swirly sds175 and japan open superstable 160) fly just like my beat in xcaliber, just with slightly less distance. So if you want something to fill that os destroyer slot long term, I highly recommend the star xcaliber. If you are looking for an os destroyer to beat in to a straight bomber though, as others have said, you should look at the plh.

:hfive:

Straight up. I love me some destroyers but I'll take one of my star xcals for overstable duty over a super beefy destroyer any day. I'm a recent convert too. I've only been throwing xcals about 4 months and they are the BOMB

Not 'hard and fast' rules but i've noticed....

Most of the new AJ stamped Star Destroyers (with the A & J overlapping) are pretty overstable. If it has a pop-top you can almost guarantee it regardless of weight.

Most of the new bottom stamped Star Destroyers seem SUPER overstable. I haven't had my hands on too many though so that just might have been the limited stock locally.

Other than that... you just kinda have to throw Destroyers, pay attention to the disc characteristics and figure out what you like. Then buy a ton of em while you can get your hands on them.

I have had the opposite experience recently. I bought two newer AJ destroyers, one newer bottom stamp, and one older AJ pop top.

Both of the newer, flatter AJ destroyers are pretty meaty, where my bottom stamp is a little more flippy. The pop top destroyer has significantly more turn.

I think the PLH is more important, as that seems to be the best indication of how it will fly if you can't test throw it.

Right now I am bagging in order of stability, 168 three line flat top AJ, 175 gstar, champ of unknown wait, 168 gstar. Took Teedevil out, Krait out, I am happy I figured out how to judge PLH from this thread. I would easily be able to walk into any store and match these discs now.

I just bought 4 brand new bright green 175g AJ Star Destroyers and they are flat as hell, with a PLH as high as my super stable ones from a few years ago, but they are straight to flippy?!?!?! This confused the hell out of me until I looked at the noses, the nose of the Super Stable ones was much blunter (PD2 thick) and the new ones are thinner and more "destrulcan" esque, so the lesson here is just because PLH is high and you have a flat top, this does mean it will be OS. I'm so glad I bought a ton of the run before this where it had the more "bulbous" nose and the perfect stable Destroyer flight. Innova for god sakes stop messing with my favorite mold!

I just bought 4 brand new bright green 175g AJ Star Destroyers and they are flat as hell, with a PLH as high as my super stable ones from a few years ago, but they are straight to flippy?!?!?! This confused the hell out of me until I looked at the noses, the nose of the Super Stable ones was much blunter (PD2 thick) and the new ones are thinner and more "destrulcan" esque, so the lesson here is just because PLH is high and you have a flat top, this does mean it will be OS. I'm so glad I bought a ton of the run before this where it had the more "bulbous" nose and the perfect stable Destroyer flight. Innova for god sakes stop messing with my favorite mold!

Yep, I ran into that batch last fall. Good thing is I noticed the nose was a little different so I only bought one to test before committing on a bunch. That was a confusing couple of test throws.

Local retailer recently got a bunch of Air Force stamped Destroyers. Most were of the newer run but I managed to get a few sweet ones from the previous run hand picked :D

G0Zq189.png

Ooo. Those looks like some nice pop-top action right there.

How are retailers getting Air Force stamped stuff? I thought that was only a stamp available to people directly involved with Innova (pros, etc)?

Ooo. Those looks like some nice pop-top action right there.

How are retailers getting Air Force stamped stuff? I thought that was only a stamp available to people directly involved with Innova (pros, etc)?

I guess I should clarify these are fundraisers for the Ledgestone NT event this year. A local retailer here is in charge of pretty much all the fundraising discs from Innova and Discraft. Lots of custom stuff being made for these fundraisers (look at all the recent Ti offerings from Discraft, for instance).

I guess I should clarify these are fundraisers for the Ledgestone NT event this year. A local retailer here is in charge of pretty much all the fundraising discs from Innova and Discraft. Lots of custom stuff being made for these fundraisers (look at all the recent Ti offerings from Discraft, for instance).
I see. Still kinda begs the question though...

I always though the "Air Force" stamp was pretty strictly reserved for players? But lately I've noticed a bunch of discs showing up on FB groups and such with the stamp. Did Innova just kinda loosen up with that?

I see. Still kinda begs the question though...

I always though the "Air Force" stamp was pretty strictly reserved for players? But lately I've noticed a bunch of discs showing up on FB groups and such with the stamp. Did Innova just kinda loosen up with that?

I don't know the specifics on that.

I know at USDGC last year you could buy Air Force stamped stuff at the Pro Shop. The shop is stocked by DiscGolfUnited which is Innova East. You can still buy some Air Force stamped discs from them online here: http://www.discgolfunited.com/Store/productlisting.cfm?prod_cat_id=214

Most of the Air Force Rhynos, Firebirds, Aviars, etc that you saw pop up on Facebook groups last year came from the Pro Shop at USDGC.

Last edited:

Latest posts