• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

Haha...yeah, they vary widely. Typically a flatter destroyer is less overstable. I like mine nice and domey...have zero turn on a 400-415' rip. Just straaaaaaight forever and a forward fade. It's the longer teebird. They season in and just get longer, not developing turn for quite some time.

Of course plh determines everything, but the star destroyer is a weird mold where it seems that the higher dome is a good indicator of higher plh where normally the reverse is true. I am sure the wear helps for your throw too, but yes, if you max at 400' the. A fresh nicely overstable destroyer is not going to fly that far for you. You could always try a big dome pro destroyer or a big dome gstar. Those are what I throw for max d. Could try an echo star too. With those plastics the plh is much lower but you still get your big dome glide.

Stability of gstar sounds very similar to the star one you like, maybe a liiiiiiiittle more os, but my sample size is only 3.

Last edited:
Nice, thanks. Sounds encouraging that I can throw some Destroyers properly. I'll see in a few weeks of using it how it works out for me (mostly it'll be in field bombs as the courses here aren't super long), but so far I'm really liking the feel in hand/rim size, which is why I was hoping that I "could" throw them. Plus when I can hit longer distances this mold just seems really trustworthy and versatile.

Gstar does sound nice with it being mellow and having the glide too, so at this point if I were to buy one that's likely the plastic I would look into (since Pro I'd always be worried about throwing a warp speeder into a tree). Does PLH between plastics tell you much? Like a Star and Gstar side by side...the star will be more overstable almost no matter what I'm guessing?

I know a lot of people on here look for the domey crazy overstable ones, but I also have to realize they are throwing them 420-450+ and likely love this disc for its resistance to most all turn without having an over the top meathook end if you get the right ones. For me I'm more into it having enough ride right to prolong its flight, without actually drifting more than 10' or so, but knowing it will come back no matter what.

Anyone have issues with their Destroyers warping? I left mine in storage while on vacation and all my discs were fine except for the Destroyers. Every single one of them has a warped flight plate now! I'm working on fixing these, but I thought it very strange that the Destroyers were the only discs that changed shape...

Destroyers have very thin flightplates, that is probably why they warped so easily. Turn them over and pour some hot water in. Repeat the process until it evens out.

Gstar does sound nice with it being mellow and having the glide too, so at this point if I were to buy one that's likely the plastic I would look into (since Pro I'd always be worried about throwing a warp speeder into a tree). Does PLH between plastics tell you much? Like a Star and Gstar side by side...the star will be more overstable almost no matter what I'm guessing?

yep, as long as you are using the same mold PLH will always be king.

some of the new domey echostars at GGGT have stupidly low PLH somehow, domey gstar seems okay out of the box for big distance. probably good for what you want, IMO. domey star=beefy almost every time. as long as you are doing a direct destroyer/destroyer comparison, PLH is all that matters.

Destroyers have very thin flightplates, that is probably why they warped so easily. Turn them over and pour some hot water in. Repeat the process until it evens out.
Not the best advice. Leave them flight plate up for a while. The hotter the environment the faster they will return to normal. His advice will flatten and possibly change the fight.

Not the best advice. Leave them flight plate up for a while. The hotter the environment the faster they will return to normal. His advice will flatten and possibly change the fight.

If you place them upside down in a bowl while doing the hot water trick (so the flight plate doesn't press against anything) the dome will return to its original shape.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I've fixed a couple of them but one is being very difficult in returning to its previous shape. I might have to see how it flies and live with it if the disc still bombs!

does anyone only throw champ destroyers?
they seem better for flicks?

I have thrown them from beefy to mamba like but the two had very little difference in plh or dome..

does anyone only throw champ destroyers?
they seem better for flicks?

I have a friend who only throws Champ Destroyers, and he mainly flicks. He says he thinks they are more consistent than Star, and he likes the feel better. He tends to get green/yellow ones which are flat and heavy.

yea i kinda figured that too. they seem flatter.
people also like champ bosses for flicks.

Champion plastic seems to beat in a little faster than Star. While it won't hold they sweet spot for as long as the coveted Star Destroyer, a seasoned Champ Destroyer is a beautiful thing! I'm still working on getting my distance up with fairway drivers, but when I'm in a personal state of peak form, I like to carry one Star Destroyer for max distance and a Champ Destroyer for more controlled drives...

Now that people have had them for some time...how have the G Star Destroyers been holding up? With the thin flight plates and all on this mold. Do they wear in consistently and get the mild turn with a bit dampened fade, or do they go wonky?

I don't have any G Star yet but I do like the feel of it (when it's not the super floppy ones), and I like the supposed characteristics it would give to a Destroyer, mellowing it out as I max at 400 currently.

Also with G Star...are there large variances in how soft (meaning "too" floppy) some Destroyers are, or is it safe to order online?

Now that people have had them for some time...how have the G Star Destroyers been holding up?

Also with G Star...are there large variances in how soft (meaning "too" floppy) some Destroyers are, or is it safe to order online?

Curious to hear about this too. The different g* destoryers I have had feel similar in softness but the domes/PLH are not the same at all. Yet to hold a production run though only tournament stamped pre released runs of the disc.

Now that people have had them for some time...how have the G Star Destroyers been holding up? With the thin flight plates and all on this mold. Do they wear in consistently and get the mild turn with a bit dampened fade, or do they go wonky?

I don't have any G Star yet but I do like the feel of it (when it's not the super floppy ones), and I like the supposed characteristics it would give to a Destroyer, mellowing it out as I max at 400 currently.

Your mileage may vary, but I still bag a GStar Destroyer as my 2nd to most understable Destroyer (most understable being an E*). It's held up pretty well for me and still flies like a beat in star after being thrown for a while. I don't throw it as often as the star Destroyer in my bag, so it doesn't take a super heavy amount of punishment, but it sees weekly use for sure.

As for floppiness, it probably depends on the temperatures where you play and your own floppiness tolerance. If you're somewhere where the temp is still 90+ degrees it may be too floppy for you. Where I live it has been in the 70's lately and I've had no problems with mine. Going into the fall it's going to be colder and definitely wetter here, so it should be less floppy. Mine will probably get more use this fall/winter since I need more grip and less stability for the cold/wet conditions. I don't know if there are large variances in floppiness; I've owned a few GStar Drivers and they've all been about the same (as in not floppy enough to bother me in the Oregon climate).

I've had two G* Destroyers so far, 171g flatter one and a 168g moderately domed one. Both started out very similiar in having a decently stability (but nowhere near as stable as the new AJ sig Destroyers) but not heavily overstable. My OAT'y forehand gets some significant turn with them. They certainly aren't true headwind drivers if not thrown with hyzer. As with all of the G* molds I've thrown, they beat in very quickly compared to regular Star (probably at 3 or 4 times the rate).

Oh, and I've only used G* for drivers but the "softness" doesn't bother me one bit.

Cool, for the most part that sounds ok to me. I have a very beat star Destroyer (flat) that is just perfect for controlled distance for me...it always comes back but it's got turn to give it the extra flight. It's not a headwind disc. I'd just like something that is almost the same so that I can practice with the distance drivers, and not be worried about having a however old beat Destroyer that would take a year or two to get again.

Are the domey ones still not as stable as (any) AJ? Is the glide difference with domey vs. flat significant? Basically I want some turn at 380-400', that is more important to me than extra glide if the domey G star is way more OS. I'm so tentative because I've thrown a domey AJ that is an absolute meathook.

Bhadella, when you say they beat in 3-4 times the rate, is that to get to a sweet spot that holds, or do they get unpredictable too?

Sorry for all the questions...at least my friend has a GPD coming this week so I'll get a bit of hands on experience vs. S line then to hopefully see a bit of the grip and stability differences, albeit on a different mold.

Latest posts