• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFP Thumb Grip

How much distance difference do you find with those more forward style grips compared to power grip on something like mids/putters?

I'd guess it adds a couple mph to the ejection speed, on specific shots for drivers, but I STINK at using it on upshots and putter/mids, where I'm not typically trying to max out power.

If you've never thrown with th Bratten 2 finger, I strongly suggest it, if only to feel how different you can make your grip and how it affects the hit point.

I gave this another shot today while practicing at the course and it opened my eyes to a few things.

• I was getting an additional 20-30' from my Wasps and Comets right from the start.
  • I felt like I was getting a more athletic throw and getting over top of the disc more.
  • I had a hell of time controlling the nose angle of my disc. Nothing was skying out but there was more nose up than usual on my throws.
  • Very timing sensitive and my shots were progressively more erratic as I tired out.
  • Any distance gains were lost on my higher speed discs. I threw them last and I'm not sure if that's tied to the timing and fatigue mentioned above.

It's definitely something I'm going to work with going forward as it felt "right" for the most part. I'm hopeful that if I can iron out the timing and nose angle issues I'll have a better drive overall.

So I just found this thread and I'm VERY intrigued by this.

But one thing I'm not sure I'm following is this idea of the wrist rolling under? I literally don't see their wrist rolling under at all. At least not in the way I'm thinking you guys mean "rolling under." I might be misunderstanding what you guys are trying to say here though.

Are you saying, in that first GIF of Nate, you believe his wrist rolls backwards/underneath? Like he is pronating his hand? Meaning if you are Nate, and looking at your hand that is 90* out in front of you, that he is actively trying to turn turn his hand like he's turning a key to the left or counter clockwise?!?!

Because that seems like it makes absolutely no sense in the quest to throw the disc nose down. Plus I don't see that at all. It looks like if anything is happening at all, it's that his wrist might bend backwards towards his body a bit, but I'm not seeing this roll under or over or anything at all. And once again, maybe I'm totally not even understanding what you guys are talking about. I'm just so intrigued about this and how it can possibly work. I keep reading over and over and over in order to throw far and straight, that the disc has to be thrown nose down, and if you grip the disc like this with your fingers hooked underneath like a suitcase and the thumb more on the flight plate, the disc is now no longer anywhere near in line with your forearm. So this whole idea and the actual physics of it is confusing as all get out. :confused:

But either way, weather I do or do not understand this and how it works, I'd love for someone to explain this a little more in detail and broken down for me so I can understand it and then try it out. Seems like a lot of people are producing some great throws with this grip style and that is always the goal. Thanks :thmbup:

Curious about what position disc rests on palm, because this looks like its lower than middle part and completely opposite what I have heard people teaching.

When I am driving with more shallow driver discs I tend to do where the thumb is in line above the fingers on a power slant. now with shallow midrange both 4 & 5 I am a a 45 degree and with putter shaped midrange and Putters thumb is out more like on some peoples drives and how the disc is shaped is how I put thumb down, I do use a power slant if I am driving with a putter, slightly more open slant grip for a long approach shot and then a Putter grip, with index finger out under on rim and rest Down in a power slant. I have done in tight tunnels a drive using a straight fairway and my approach or putter grip or other bent tunnels to slow down the disc so I can hit the line I am shooting.

So I just found this thread and I'm VERY intrigued by this.

But one thing I'm not sure I'm following is this idea of the wrist rolling under? I literally don't see their wrist rolling under at all. At least not in the way I'm thinking you guys mean "rolling under." I might be misunderstanding what you guys are trying to say here though.

Are you saying, in that first GIF of Nate, you believe his wrist rolls backwards/underneath? Like he is pronating his hand? Meaning if you are Nate, and looking at your hand that is 90* out in front of you, that he is actively trying to turn turn his hand like he's turning a key to the left or counter clockwise?!?!

Because that seems like it makes absolutely no sense in the quest to throw the disc nose down. Plus I don't see that at all. It looks like if anything is happening at all, it's that his wrist might bend backwards towards his body a bit, but I'm not seeing this roll under or over or anything at all. And once again, maybe I'm totally not even understanding what you guys are talking about. I'm just so intrigued about this and how it can possibly work. I keep reading over and over and over in order to throw far and straight, that the disc has to be thrown nose down, and if you grip the disc like this with your fingers hooked underneath like a suitcase and the thumb more on the flight plate, the disc is now no longer anywhere near in line with your forearm. So this whole idea and the actual physics of it is confusing as all get out. :confused:

Have you had a look at my DFP video it's in the the thread somewhere? It tries to answer a couple of these questions.

Edit, easier to link again, I can't find it in the thread.

Have you had a look at my DFP video it's in the the thread somewhere? It tries to answer a couple of these questions.

Edit, easier to link again, I can't find it in the thread.

Oh man! Thank you! I actually just watched this video of yours a day or two ago that helped me realize some SUPER simple stuff, but that is extremely critical to learning how to throw! The lunchbox drill and Loose Arm Drill might turn out to be HUGE for me in learning the basic idea of how the arm is supposed to work in the throw. It's not something a lot of people talk about. I think they assume we already know those ideas and are worried about more complicated advanced ideas. But here I am doing other things with my body well, but still can't feel the arm behave like a whip and really sling that disc out there. And I'm 100% sure that Loose Arm video of yours is going to help me a TON! So thanks

I've read stuff and watched a ton of videos, but sometimes, it just doesn't make any sense until someone shares it in a different or new way. And it's like I had a light bulb go off when I saw that Loose Arm drill and then the Lunch box drill as well. We'll see if I can translate it to actually throwing better, but at least I know it now. I know how simple the weight transfer should be, how my head should not be going outside of my legs, how my spine actually should tilt a little forward on the turn back, and tilt a little backward on the follow thru, and how my feet should feel when this is all done properly! Thanks for those man! REALLY helpful, and I'll watch that video you made on this grip later today.

I tried it out the DFP grip a few days ago without doing anything different and no joke, most of the throws were much straight and distance was slightly better. And overall, the throws were more repeatable and consistent.

Also need to try out your simple forehand tutorial as well. Mine is heinous and wobbly. Which is weird as I can throw a baseball really well, played golf, tennis, and hockey at a high level. But as I'm finding out, that means nothing in this game. It's almost like it's a curse as I have all these pre-configured body movements that I have ingrained over a long period of time, and now I have to learn some totally new different way of throwing something that is NOT intuitive at all, haha. But thanks to people like yourself and SW22, HUB, etc, us newbs are able to get better much quicker. So thanks man. Best

It's not trying to flip or twist the disc with the wrist. The whole arm has to smoothly rotate to keep the disc "flat" as the whole body rotates. The disc's inertia is also pushing back on your thumb equal and opposite force, so you "feel" the pronation more than you will see it as you keep the disc "flat". As your body moves and spine changes tilt, it keeps the disc "flat".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLo97jXn5Wo&t=5m25s

BLAKE T said:
...If you want to hold on longer you have 3 contributing factors:
1. The speed with which you approach the critical point. Slower = easier to hang on.
2. The abruptness of the directional change. Less abrupt = smaller arc radius = easier to hold on.
3. Grip strength.

Holding on from the critical point to the ideal release point has some tricks to it. The "key turn" of the wrist to the forward/down position helps hang on without adding grip pressure (it changes the ergonomics).

Keep in mind the arm itself has to rotate in order to follow the rail.

I've been obsessing over grip and trying to better understand what's happening with the wrist at hit point, how to best hold on, use the weight of the disc to sling it, etc. Posting for reference.

I'm gonna ressurrect this thread because I'm currently experimenting with this release, and there is really nowhere else where people talk about this. For me it feels like you can just set the angle with the side of your thumb at release (nose and hyzer angle sort of overlaps depending on exactly how the release occurs). It only works if you're properly hitting, otherwise you just push the nose up. Also, imo the thumb does not need to point toward the middle of the disc for this to work, the side of the thumb just need to be in contact with the flight plate.

Not all pros do this, simon and eagle do, mcbeth does not for example. Personally I feel like the less power you put on it, the harder it is to control the nose angle with the wrist roll counterclockwise release. For shorter upshots I don't know if I like it yet. But for drives it feels much better for the arm to extend like this (with the back of your hand towards the sky). Sometimes my bicep/elbow crease area is sore after I practice drives, and I think it comes from doing the more "traditional" release (with the back of the hand sideways). Trying to extend my elbow this way I feel a lot more resistance in my bicep, especially when keeping the wrist in the pouring coffee position.

Do you guys use this sort of release for all shots (or at all)?

Mcbeth:

Simon (loud noise at the start):

Eagle:

I typically finish with the back of hand to sky unless I'm trying to turnover something overstable then I finish more like Paul and PP.

Kyle Klein has some crazy roll under and weird grip.

This may sound silly, but would someone do this for me? Take a pen and indicate with a dot the exact points where each finger pad makes contact with the rim. Maybe for a distance driver.

Or, if there is flexibility in this grip and/or finger position changes with each shot, then it may not be helpful.

I don't have big hands, so I find certain grips a bit challenging. Since reading this thread (the past 2 days), I've been trying out the DFP. For me, my pointer finger is hooked inside the lip, my thumb and index finger are extended towards the middle of the disc like I'm snapping my fingers. Ring and pinkie are tucked in to the disc like a power grip. I'm getting extra distance--maybe 50 feet. I think it will really evolve my distance throwing. It feels like it rips out of my hand compared to my prior efforts.

These might be a bit off because my wrist is tilted to show the placement from above... but it's close.

"Standard" grip

"DFP" grip

I naturally fall somewhere between these and haven't experimented with extremes since originally posting in this thread. I'll revisit it again soon.

These might be a bit off because my wrist is tilted to show the placement from above... but it's close.

"Standard" grip

"DFP" grip

I naturally fall somewhere between these and haven't experimented with extremes since originally posting in this thread. I'll revisit it again soon.

—-
Thank you. I tried to normalize the hand position for both images. Would you say your fingers are exactly the same and the only difference is thumb position?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 02F4F30C-69E0-4716-BF02-066B7D4DE5E2.jpg
    02F4F30C-69E0-4716-BF02-066B7D4DE5E2.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 264
  • 1AFC4A66-3F17-42E0-9C70-4E26DDD7D4CC.jpg
    1AFC4A66-3F17-42E0-9C70-4E26DDD7D4CC.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 263
—-
Thank you. I tried to normalize the hand position for both images. Would you say your fingers are exactly the same and the only difference is thumb position?

Correct.

I power grip everything the same way. Thumb just moves towards the middle of the disc.

It feels like I have less leverage to press my thumb down, but I can pretty easily deform the flight plate when I squeeze.

I experimented with this grip a couple of years ago. For me, it seems to work best with a very low pull through. I couldn't use that grip while pulling through high around my chest. With a low pull through, rolling under at the hit seems to happen naturally.

Exactly what i found out today at the field if u dont pull through below chest it will go nose up.
I got atleast 50 extra feet with arlyns grip, i push the back of disc up in the palm abit more tho but still my thumbs is all over the disc with more surface area and no rip point. I can feel the spin from middle finger.

Latest posts