• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

Does anyone know what the baskets are at the soccer complex across the street from Bill Allen? There's a few really old discatchers out there.

Not so sure I like McCord Park. There's a few fun shots off the long tees, but alot of crossing fairways from the longs as well. If it gets busy in the summer it could be kinda rough to play. I understand there wasn't a ton to work with with that piece of land though

Playground is cool though lol

We played it yesterday. The playground gets a 5 star rating. I've never seen anything like that.

As far the course, there are some pretty big concerns. A lot of crossing fairways, you end up walking across fairways to get to the next tee. Holes 4 and 5 have you throwing right at the other holes tee, so it's kinda like people chucking discs at each other. Navigation is not very intuitive.

The short tees are ridiculously short, and that's coming from someone with a very small arm. The pars hold over from the long tees, making it more ridiculous. The par 4s are barely 4s on the longs, they are absurd on the shorts.

And major, major drainage problems. I understand an irrigation system is being put in, but it's going to have to do a ton to keep this course ok.

I don't want it to sound like there's nothing there, because it has a few interesting holes. But we all decided that this must be one of the small projects John does to keep busy. Not taking the drainage problems into account, I assume they are being fixed, I'd probably rate it as a 3.0.
And

Does anyone know what the baskets are at the soccer complex across the street from Bill Allen? There's a few really old discatchers out there.

Those are holes A, B, and C used for the upcoming Polar Open this Saturday the 25th. The teeboxes should be marked with flags. After hole 12 cross the street, go down to the right towards the creek and you should see the tee flags for hole A between the bridge and the tree.

I have been enjoying "elevation" courses lately. Turner and ZBOAZ have some pretty good hills for this flatland we live on.

Time for me to get back to Turner, as it's been a while. It sometimes kicks my butt, however I've been getting better at other courses. Sometimes you have to go back to one you haven't played in a while to see if you've improved.

I agree with you and love the elevation challenges at Turner, such as they are.

There's not elevation on all the holes, but bicentennial makes good use of the elevation on the holes that have it. You almost need a Sherpa guide on 5 and 7.

Drive up to Denison and play Munson park

Agreed. The course is worth the drive.

Quite a few trees have been lost due to the drought and the recent ice storms. Get there while the course still has plenty of them. It's already "not what it used to be" and the course isn't that old.

Time for me to get back to Turner, as it's been a while. It sometimes kicks my butt, however I've been getting better at other courses. Sometimes you have to go back to one you haven't played in a while to see if you've improved.

I agree with you and love the elevation challenges at Turner, such as they are.

I played Turner a couple of weeks ago and was the first "elevated" course I have played.. was quite a challenge since I'm used to "mostly flat" courses. I'm looking forward to going back when I'm back in the area. ;)

I've had one go on the edge of the street, but I've never thrown it that hard straight into the street, and I've never seen anybody do it.

I played Turner a couple of weeks ago and was the first "elevated" course I have played.. was quite a challenge since I'm used to "mostly flat" courses. I'm looking forward to going back when I'm back in the area. ;)

Not my favorite hole at Turner, but what did you think of 18? I've only parred it one time! For me it takes an epic uphill drive and then two good fairway shots to even get close! Number 16 gives me some trouble as well but I'm getting a handle on it.

Advice on 7 given to me by a local: Don't try to throw over or through the treetops; throw low into the valley and try to skip up to the basket. I throw a Z Buzzz so your Roc should work well.

Advice on 7 given to me by a local: Don't try to throw over or through the treetops; throw low into the valley and try to skip up to the basket. I throw a Z Buzzz so your Roc should work well.

I've hit the basket with a thumber in the right side pin placement. Most of the time, the worst thing that can happen is being at the bottom of the "valley". Still an easy three. If you can get a thumber on the hill behind the basket, it's a fair shot at a two if not an easy one.

I've hit the basket with a thumber in the right side pin placement. Most of the time, the worst thing that can happen is being at the bottom of the "valley". Still an easy three. If you can get a thumber on the hill behind the basket, it's a fair shot at a two if not an easy one.

Agreed on this. Personally I use the thumber for this one, and have hit very close to the pin multiple times. I will say I've seen the lower, skip shot executed beautifully here, as well. I can't speak from experience yet, but #7 seems like a good opportunity for an ace

Thanks. When I finally develop my overhand, I'll try a thumber there. Sounds like a good excuse for me to do some field work. :D

One way to get a good vibe with the DFW disc golf scene is to join our club. Generic name, but different kind of club. We play traditional and unique game formats, have social events such as cookouts, etc.

www.dfwdg.com
dfw disc golfers

I need to get out there, as I've not played it. I'm on the east side of the Metro-Mess, but as the daylight hours increase I will be going further afield.

Latest posts