• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Needs More Personality

Your thread lost any credibility with me immediately when you included Johnny Bench with Dennis Rodman and Tom(John) McEnroe. Johnny Bench was classy and humble, did you ever watch him play?

This post lost all credibility as you are clearly making the assumption that I am saying all of these individuals are the same. Thanks for putting words in my mouth.

Ok, maybe I need to be clearer for you: Bench was a great guy, McEnroe was argumentative cry baby and Rodman was ... well ... psycho. All of which had memorable personalities that brought viewers to their respective sport.

Sorry I didn't word things exactly right for your delicate sensitivities.

I agree with an earlier post that cited the fast-cut style of the post-production coverage as a reason why we don't see much of the personality of the players in the context of tournament play. You see it a bit more in the live coverage, when there is time for that and a need to fill said time.

I like the idea of a third (or extra?) camera/mic to catch this, of course that increases cost. The addition of an on-course "sideline reporter" opens the door for more of this personal content. And we also get a chance to get to know players a bit when they are brought in as commentators on post-production coverage. Although, as stated by a few, the players are often castigated for injecting any personality into their commentary work.

I think we see more of the players' personalities in their social media posts or sponsor ads - e.g. Barsby or Philo driving around the Innova warehouse putting together prize packages, anything done by Eric and Tina Whalepants, etc. Most of these kids are fun people - it would be great to see more of that shine through.

I see a future in all sports where the top professionals become extremely private individuals and continue to close off their interactions with the general public and social media as a whole, and exist in their own closed off community bubbles the way high level social and monetary elites do so today.

In fact you are seeing this trend already in NFL/NBA/etc. and it will only continue. We are in the golden age of access to professional disc golfers. This will trend in the opposite direction as the sport grows.

Won't change. Too many cliques around the disc golf community. Too many people in disc golf get butt hurt too easily, think they are more important than they are, or come from the sensitive PC generation.

fp_i_01.jpg

FLipee Mini Flying Disc

Drag racing doesn't have the Flipee girls.

I can't sit idly by and let this Rodman bashing pass unchallenged. Dennis is a gentleman and a scholar. :\

I dunno man. Most disc golfers are millennials and I hear their opinions enough as it is. I don't really want to hear about Eagle's veganism or something like that out of nowhere. Hell, everyone jumps on Drew Gibson whenever he says something the slightest bit un-PC. We're just wading into some really subjective territory here, that's all I'm saying.

As far as guys that wear their emotions quite evidently, Joel Freeman is worth a mention.

Ah, so you're one of those.

I can't sit idly by and let this Rodman bashing pass unchallenged. Dennis is a gentleman and a scholar. :\

:clap: Don't forget a great patriot and ambassador. The only thing I can fault him for is choosing to play for the Bulls.