• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Superstitions

I now step up to the tee and roll a bag full of chicken bones onto it.

If the two legbones point towards the trees I just close my eyes because I know where it is going.

Damn voodoo. :(

I'll be watching you on Saturday to see if these things happen....

oh it's totally going to happen. my other habit I want to break on saturday is hitting that tree off my drive on hole 4. I think at this point my ratio is 6 times hit out of the 10 times I have thrown that tee.

I like to set up a ladder at the back of the tee box, walk under it and onto the tee, pull out a mirror and smash it on the ground, and have a buddy halfway up the fairway release a caged black cat. That way, if I have an awesome shot, I can say superstitions are BS, but if I shank it I can blame it on my pre-throw actions.

I wear a Harry Potter Cape and glasses when I play even though I've never seen any of the movies or read any of the books and for that matter am not even sure he wears a cape.

I can't play a good round without a baby blue Roc.

Before I put I have to line up my thumg parallel to the wand on my Wizard I use a fan grip don't ask me why but it just fells right and when I tee off no matter hole the fairway goes I line up my feet touching each other on the back corner of the tee box on the left. I also color coordinate my bag (I.E. blue, white etc. like a rainbow effect).

i read a good chunk of this post yesterday thinking I had no disc superstitions. Well I do after playing a round. I found the two thing I do are on the teebox. When I first get on to the teebox i scrape my shoes on the tee like I have mud on my shoes. this happens everytime even if the course is dry and the bottom of my shoes are super clean. the second is once I get ready to tee off I spin the disc in my hand until my grip feels right. I can't seem to just grab and throw I have to feel out my grip first

Wow, it's like we're twins as far as that's concerned! I always scrape my feet when I get into the tee box, similar to a charging bull, lol. When I throw forehand, I set my grip, and then tap the disc against my left palm and rotate the disc until I am happy with the grip. With back hand, I spin the disc on my index finger until I get the grip settled in.

I carry my disc bag on the left arm, as to not make my right arm tired (right is my throwing arm)

i carry one of those magic 8 balls with me and ask it each time before my drive..."will this be an Ace"... usually get an "unlikely" or "ask again"...

I am not superstitious but I do believe in luck. I mean you throw a disc down a fairway from 200 ft and it hits the 1 tree that is out there. If the throw is 1 foot either way-great throw but now not so good. If you tried to hit that tree from 200 you probably wouldn't. Or you throw a shot that hits a tree and sometimes it kicks it into deep brush and sometimes it kicks it into the middle of the fairway. Luck is a part of all sports. But I believe you can't influence your luck with superstition, luck will hopefully balance out over time. Overall if you throw the disc well you will play well. I don't have any particular things that I do when I play. I do believe I play better when I play at a good pace so I get in a rhythm.

I agree. I have had many near-aces, as well as a couple of metal, but none closer than the other day. I was going to try and take an anny route on a hole I never had before. I threw my aviar flat and WAY too far left, it went straight into a tree, kicked and floated straight toward the hole. I held my breath as it took a beeline toward the basket. It JUST missed, it went in right at chain level but just missed wide. Total luck

I dont know if I would consider it a habit or a superstition but I grip all my discs in a certain point every time I throw them. I always grip the top left corner. Just to the left of the stamp. I have done this since I started playing. I have a 3x JK Pro Aviar that I have gripped that way for so long that it has dents where I have gripped it the same way every time. I am a creature of habit. But it works for me. ;)

It's not so much a superstition as just a F'ed up habit now but I have to hold my disc when throwing with the label lined up with my hand so when I look at the label is north to south to my hand.

I tap the disc in my off hand during run up and up until the "hit"

my roommate looks down at his feet just before the "hit", it's weird to watch

I can't remember when that label-grip thing started but now I look at the disc every time before I throw to make sure it's aligned, it's almost a curse now.

I like to set up a ladder at the back of the tee box, walk under it and onto the tee, pull out a mirror and smash it on the ground, and have a buddy halfway up the fairway release a caged black cat. That way, if I have an awesome shot, I can say superstitions are BS, but if I shank it I can blame it on my pre-throw actions.

lol.
Nice Shot...

I'm right handed.
I always carry my bag on my left shoulder.
I always try to hold any drink in my left hand.

And,
Every new putter needs to be broken in and...not by throwing it.

I dont like to say my score outloud... but I dont think Its so much a superstition as it is a mind set. I feel that when i start annoucing my strokes i am getting too excited and start straying from my game plan... i take my mind off the hole infront of me and start thinking too far ahead.

example:

I was shooting even through 12 holes yesterday, I have never shot better than -1 on my home course, and I havent done that in over a year... my best since then was a two. I was just playing along, and not saying anything, par par par par par... and then all of a sudden I get excited and im like "I am still even!" and then i start thinking ahead, instead of focusing on 13 which i always par, I start thinking about 14 which I usually bogey which leads me to think about where I can pick up birdies... and next thing you know it, I OB on 13, miss my putt, and I pick up 2 strokes. lame. I end up bogeying 14 anyway, and try too hard for birdies on 15 and 17 and miss long comeback putts and pick up two more strokes... I end the round 5 over, picking up 5 strokes on 13-18.

I have a Yin Yang mini. I always point the red swirl toward the basket to anticipate "hot" putting. If the putting isn't working then I switch it to the cold (blue) direction to see if I can get the putting going again.

In regards to the 'don't talk to my disc' thing, I play with an older guy who is convinced anyone talking to his disc will jack the flight! I was like whatever, until a month ago when I was in his group as he threw across our 2nd creek crossing hole. It looked like his disc was going to bail out early and leave him with a long upshot. He says, "Sh*t!", when he sees the disc start to hyzer to the safe zone. I say, "At least you're safe." Two seconds later the disc comes rolling into view, hops over a path and rolls down into the water. I have no idea what he hit to make his disc roll so fast back into the creek. Needless to say, he was quite POed! I got the silent treatment for the rest of the round.:confused:

i hold my discs, expecially my putters, certain ways every time i throw them. as well as my drive and put i have a certain routine i have to go through befor i throw...

My superstition is that all putt attempts have to hit the chains before they go back in my bag. If I pull out a second disc just to practice a tough putt, both discs have to touch the chains before I can move on to the next hole, even if the second putt was waaay off.

I am not crazy, I swear.

Also new putters are good luck.

Latest posts