• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] DGA Hellfire-OS Fairway

I'll certainly give the Hellfire a try, but I can't really see a spot where it fills a gap in my bag. We'll see if I like it though!

Hellfire Update

Stopped by the AM Masters Cup last weekend, chatted with the DGA folks, picked up a couple (see attached pic).

The SP line is currently only available as part of the Steady Ed Series, which is in CA and usually runs through the summer. Proline is available now but uses the new Proline mix which is kind of a hybrid Z/ESP (Champy/Star) type mix. The discs in the picture are the new Proline.

Shasta said on the DGA Facebook page that it was like a faster, more overstable Firebird.

I agree, beefier than a Firebird, faster too, I would rate it a speed 10 disc.

Looks like a Hurricane OS. Just a touch slower.

Yes, similar in some ways, just not quite as wide a rim, one step down from a Hurricane, and a couple steps up in over-stability.

When I read "faster, more OS firebird" I thought Flick.

No, a Flick is a thin wafer of a disc, this is meatier, even meatier than a Firebird.

Oh...they made a domey Firebird.

Flat, not domey at all, I felt up the whole stack.

It has been really windy lately, gusts to 20+ MPH every afternoon. When you are standing on the teebox, the wind gusts and your hat goes flying away.

If you are showing up for the St Judes, be prepared as the courses are long and this wind may persist, especially as it gets later in the day.

I have taken this out 3 times, thrown it mostly on 300-350 hyzer routes (again, in very windy conditions), and I love it, love it more each time I throw it.

As I continue to throw it, it is getting longer, but still very overstable, it is actually getting a little too long for the 300-350 routes, even into the wind, so I almost have to start powering down, maybe I am just overthrowing to compensate for the windy conditions. New Champion Firebirds (non-FAF) get blown out in the conditions I have been playing in lately.

The inner rim, where you place your fingertips, has a little more tilt than the average disc, but does not appear to be an issue as I am happy with my releases, hitting my lines, etc.

I have been throwing it side by side with a Star Xcaliber and a Prodigy X1. The Star xcaliber is faster, so this gives me a Junior Xcal that is more controllable. I am getting about the same distance as an X1, but an X1 is much more finicky and hard to control, the smooth profile of the Hellfire makes it much more playable.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 54
I threw them about 60%, 90%, 100% I couldn't get much on them because I didn't want to rip my boat shoes off. Lol.

Get some real shoes! :) How do they feel in the hand? I keep seeing slightly faster firebird, but it has a a 2.2 cm rim. Which to me is quite a bit faster than a firebird.

Get some real shoes! :) How do they feel in the hand? I keep seeing slightly faster firebird, but it has a a 2.2 cm rim. Which to me is quite a bit faster than a firebird.

I've been throwing firebirds for quite a while, and these are a whole different beast. More overstable than most firebirds out of the box. Maybe a similar stability to bran new glow firebirds. They have a wider rim, so they fly faster to as well. The rim might be a tad bit sharper as well, which probably lends to it being more overstable.

Now to the flight. These are glideless meathooks. And I mean that in the best way possible. Thrown with Hyzer, these will never flip up unless the get run over by a steamroller to break them in. Thrown flat and these want to turn left almost immediately. And if you throw them anhyzer, they will hook back up pretty quickly before finishing left. I need to get more practice in with them, but right now I'm getting them out to about 300'-325' with no wind. For comparison, I get my max distance Destroyer out to 450+ on a good rip.

I have a pink 170-172 Proline that is super beefy that I've been throwing, and I have a 174 gold Proline that is a pure utility disc for tomahawks and rollers. The gold is even more overstable, and I heard it directly from DGA that the gold is the most overstable out of all the colors they got. They both are going to make the bag for me as my old Candy Pro Firebird has beaten in a little straighter.

I got it in today actually! I got to throw it a bit too. This thing is very over stable. The one I have is 171 and didn't like holding an anhyzer line for long(even into a headwind). Definitely did not turn even into the 10-15 mph headwind and still got some skip out at the end. This disc will take a little more time to work into my bag, but I'll give it a shot.