• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR ACES 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I got my first ace on #16 at Stoney creek park in Goldsboro NC. It was 240ft and i used a Vibram Ascent. What a great feeling!!!! After the round we went to play a couple of more holes befor it got dark and on the second hole I bounced one off the basket and just missed my second ace in the same day!!!

Just got my 5th Ace of the year and 11th all time. Hole #1 at McClelland DGC in Joplin, MO. Also, my first ace over 300'

Second ever forehand ace. Hole 5 ed fox 125' with a magic.

That's awesome, I was going to tell you to make sure to play the Red Fox in search of an ace and you go and do it all on your own!

How did you enjoy the Grey Fox? Were the pins all long right now (if you could tell?)

FIRST ACE!!!

I got my first ace today! It was on hole 8 (185 feet) at a nice little 9 hole course near where I live, called Deerfield Commnity Park. I threw a hyzered, San Marino Roc 180g (white) for the ace... what a sound. I've never heard such a loud crash in my life, but...
...it's too bad I missed it all. For some reason I thought I had way overthrown the hole, and I turned around in disgust to pick up my bag. It didn't register that I aced it until I heard yelling from the teepad at hole 7, which is right next to the basket for hole 8. My girlfriend didn't catch it either because she turned around to pick up her bag as well.

Oh well. There's always a next time (I hope). You can bet I'm watching every drive from here on out until the disc STOPS.

Also, a question. Being newer to disc golf, I wanted to know your local tradition regarding aces. My friend here told me that everyone in your party is supposed to give you a dollar bill. :thmbup:

Tradition with the group I play with is that everyone present whether in your group or not must sign the disc and that disc must never be throwen agian.

^ we also sign but never hear of the no throwing...I would def keep throwing it!
Congrats on the ace

i really dont like you, haha jk..congrats on your ace man, i'm still looking for my first :(

*edit: and a word on the whole not throwing a disc you ace with brought up by steveo69..why would you stop throwing it?? it's definatly working better than your other ones

Last edited:
Usually i play a game called 51.
If you or anybody else in your group gets an ace, that person gets paid $5 by everyone in the group. If you hit basket or forehead then its $1. Chains are $2. And a black ace, whoever hits it has to pay $5 to everyone in the group.

Congrats! I remember my first ace! such a great feeling! I sign the basket with a name and a date (although some people absolutely hate it) and everyone who is with you and anyone who witnessed it sign the disc. now, mine was a driver so I did retire it only because my home course is all woods and water holes.

*edit: and a word on the whole not throwing a disc you ace with brought up by steveo69..why would you stop throwing it?? it's definatly working better than your other ones

Two responses to that;

1. I would do it anyway. Becuase If/when I ever get one that mofo is going on my wall.

2. My buddy hit an ace and a few days later (the very next round we played) he lost it. :doh: The four of us spent 3 hours looking for it and never found it. Nobody ever called to return it. So ether some DB has it in his bag or it got chopped into peices when they cut the long grass.

So really just because I would not want to lose it. I don't throw anything too hard to replace. But replaceing a ace disc is imposible.

Whatever you do, DO NOT SIGN THE BASKET! It is vandalism and ILLEGAL!!!!

Congrats! I got my only ace on a local 9 hole as well :)

I also noticed that my ace disc became increasingly more difficult to find after errant shots post-ace, so eventually I just decided to shelve it and enjoy it instead of lose it. I don't think you will have many issues like that at Deerfield though.

I only retired my first ace disc (a pink deadhead org wiz) after my dad's (laser) dog got ahold of it and filled it full of speed holes. After that it was too fast for a putter.

hey my 1 and only ace was on hole 8 at a 9 holer around here, but i had no witnesses so i guess it didn't happen :( , and i did retire the disc, but only because the axis replaced the buzzes for the time being

Tradition with the group I play with is that everyone present whether in your group or not must sign the disc and that disc must never be throwen agian.

The reason I like this, is (1) this disc actually doesn't fit in my hand that well, but my girlfriend was using my other mid-ranges, and (2) it's an excuse to buy new discs :thmbup:. I was thinking of trying one of the lat64 mid-ranges... they look so awesome.

I am still throwing all my ace discs and hoping to get a few more :D

Actualy, I think I gave my very first ace disc to a beginner when it got too beat in for me to keep using it. He is happy with it now, I hope. It was in my old discs pile for 6 months before he picked it. I am happy that it sees some action again. I dont realy understand people. It's just plastic. It wants to be thrown.

Maybe save your first ACE disc, but don't get too carried away with it. Chances are that you threw it for a reason...it is in your bag. I have had multiple ACES with several discs, and part of that is probably due to the fact that I loved the disc and kept it in the arsenal. I have also lost an ACE disc or two (a 3-timer was jacked by a punk teenager running across the fairway just a month ago), but it only hurts for a short while. Just like anything, you get over it and move on. That is my opinion.

I have seen the other side of the coin too. While in Philly, there was an awesome golfer named Clive Russell - The Discin' Jamaican. He was an absolute Cobra magician at Sedgley Woods. He had hit over 100 ACES (I believe around 120 when I left) and retired them all. It was quite an impressive collection!

I am still throwing all my ace discs and hoping to get a few more :D

Actualy, I think I gave my very first ace disc to a beginner when it got too beat in for me to keep using it. He is happy with it now, I hope. It was in my old discs pile for 6 months before he picked it. I am happy that it sees some action again. I dont realy understand people. It's just plastic. It wants to be thrown.

That's a fair point too. Not to mention every time I use the disc from now on, I can say "Remember that time I threw an ace..."

Even if everyone gets annoyed :). Mostly because now there's just one person in my Saturday group that has yet to throw an ace.

The funny thing about an ace at a park like Deerfield (and the park I aced at) is that it is usually a heavily overpowered throw. I aced with a driver on a 181 foot hole, lol. Don't put too much pressure on your buddy who hasn't gotten one yet! If he is laying em up that's better than throwing em in!

Status
Not open for further replies.