• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR v UDisc Rating

I appreciated:
My experience within the UDisc review reality is that

Course > 4.7 = genuinely fun course. Likely good amenities, mix of longer holes, multiple tees, etc. This is the 4+ star rated courses on DGCR. The elite courses often end up in the 4.8 and 4.9s.

4.5-4.7 = very good courses, maybe an odd hole or two, or slightly fewer amenities. A great course that is sadly all Par 3s or very limited longer holes. Someones a great course that is long or technically challenging ends up here too (Iron Hill, for example). This is the 3.5-4ish on DGCR range

4.2-4.4 = worth playing if you're passing through, often has one key amenity missing (no tee signs, no benches/trash cans, only one pin or tee...even a great 9-hole course will end up here) or some weird layout elements. This is the 3.0-3.5 range for DGCR.

4.0 - 4.2 = Wouldnt go out of my way for, but, if its easily off a highway or in my area already, worth trying a few times. These are the open field courses or weird legacy courses where they crammed 18 holes into. This is all the course in the 2-3 range on DGCR

<4.0 = You're about to experience one abysmal element of a course. It either has no tee pads or ancient baskets or half the holes are down impossible tunnels or its a 9-hole course in the space of a football field. I play these mostly to see what was so bad that it didnt end up in the 4's. The <2.0 rated courses on DGCR

<3.0 = There's no tee boxes or signs. Half the baskets are missing. Its an object course. Some wild **** that is usually worth checking out

oh chit that would make finding the actual new courses a lot better

if you know do you just need an account or do you need the "pro" version

Honestly don't know. Don't recall what the heck I purchased. Think it costs me about $10/yr.

Try with just an account. If that doesn't work, I guess you need pro version. :\

Honestly don't know. Don't recall what the heck I purchased. Think it costs me about $10/yr.

Try with just an account. If that doesn't work, I guess you need pro version. :\

haha fair enough

thank you tho

ive never used the filter feature on it this woulda made things clearer

UDisc is definitely inflated, but it's like a lot of corporate surveys. If you don't give something the highest possible rating, it means you didn't like it, and someone is going to be upset. You can't rate on UDisc the same as you do here. I did that once, gave a new course 3.5 stars on UDisc, and the course designer thought that meant I hated the place. I said no, I really like it a lot, I'm just being honest that it's not Muddy Run. But that isn't the point on UDisc. It's a very simple rating system. 5 means you had a good time, 4 or less means you did not, to varying degrees. It'd be better if UDisc replaced their stars with a simple thumbs up or thumbs down, like Netflix.

UDisc is definitely inflated, but it's like a lot of corporate surveys. If you don't give something the highest possible rating, it means you didn't like it, and someone is going to be upset. You can't rate on UDisc the same as you do here. I did that once, gave a new course 3.5 stars on UDisc, and the course designer thought that meant I hated the place. I said no, I really like it a lot, I'm just being honest that it's not Muddy Run. But that isn't the point on UDisc. It's a very simple rating system. 5 means you had a good time, 4 or less means you did not, to varying degrees. It'd be better if UDisc replaced their stars with a simple thumbs up or thumbs down, like Netflix.

I completely agree with the thumbs up and down. Then they can say "91% of players gave a thumbs up" or something. I think that is more meaningful than every course being between 4 and 5 stars.

It goes against human nature to continue to play a course you give a low UDisc rating unless you're a masochist with no other courses to play. Most are going to give a good rating to courses they play regularly...

You would think so. But I know of a whole group of guys that purposely rate better course in the area low on UDisc "so it doesn't get crowded". :doh:

Where I work, we have a project manager who would grade every aspect of the project 10/10 (even after listing a few significant concerns in the previous breath). He's Udisc. I'm looking at it with a more dgcr like mindset. Nobody's perfect and our company definitely isn't. We've compromised and now he's not giving out 10s unless warranted, but still doesn't really go below 6 or 7.

I posted a version of this in the other UDisc (I don't understand UDisc ratings) thread, but I'm posting here in case someone doesn't read both.

In the vast majority of situations, people don't use anywhere near the entire range of scores/ratings, so DGCR is an exception in that regard. I have never given a 0 or a 5, but I have given plenty of 0.5s and a few 4.5s. My family has a property we rent out through several sites; the rating scale is 1-5, but any rating below 4 is deemed a disaster, so in practice, the rating score is really 4-5 or perhaps 3-5. Completely different scenario (but sports related): Boxing judging uses a 10-point must system where the winner of a round receives 10 points and the loser gets less; in theory, rounds could be 10-1 or 10-2; in practice, 10-8 is considered a thrashing where the loser barely avoided being knocked out, and I've never seen a score as lopsided as 10-7. The same idea exists in gymnastics and figure skating. When was the last time you heard or saw a score below 9 (no matter the number of mistakes or falls) on a 10-point scale?

This was exactly my experience too. I really liked a park niner, and the designer seemed upset when I gave it a 3 (it's nine baskets in a park, dammit. Sure, one of them is hanging, but come on...).

One thing to consider is that many people don't play a wide range of courses, so their comparison set is pretty narrow. I don't know what number of courses the average uDisc player has played, but I'll bet it's pretty small.