• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 The Preserve Championship July 3-5

A few thoughts from the women's side.....

Paige P looked really good overall. She minimized mistakes. Great putting. She played smarter this weekend too. Less ridiculously risky shots and good disc selection. I agree with whomever said she could have scored even lower, but she didn't NEED to. she still won by like 14 shots. At no point during the weekend did she NOT look in control of her game. I'd call that a dominating victory.

The Surge SS was a good addition to Paige's bag. She threw the crap out of that thing. Upshots with that clear Fierce were good too.

Catrina looked a lot better putting this week. She still yipped a few easy ones, but still a noticeable improvement. She threw the disc well too.

Overall, I feel this course suits the women's game better than last weekend. Less OB and most of the holes were fairly open. I didn't see any of the women having major problems out there.

The Surge SS was a good addition to Paige's bag. She threw the crap out of that thing. Upshots with that clear Fierce were good too.

That dyed driver she threw, was that the Surge SS?

On another note, was that just wind on Simons drive on 18 or did he screw up? It was really nice to see him play a strategical game this weekend.

It looked to me like Simon underestimated the effect of the tail wind. He looked surprised it got knocked down so much which was kind of shocking since you could clearly see the tail wind really whipping those flags. Too bad because it put him in that position of an uphill run up which is always more difficult to control distance and accuracy. If he could have had a flat run up there may very well have been a playoff with him and Nikko.

That dyed driver she threw, was that the Surge SS?

Yeah she mentions it in her commentary and you can see the name in some of the footage. I checked yesterday and they're sold out on Infinite Discs. Would love it know if they were already or if it's a Paige Pierce effect...

It looked to me like Simon underestimated the effect of the tail wind. He looked surprised it got knocked down so much which was kind of shocking since you could clearly see the tail wind really whipping those flags. Too bad because it put him in that position of an uphill run up which is always more difficult to control distance and accuracy. If he could have had a flat run up there may very well have been a playoff with him and Nikko.

Thanks, I was really pulling for both Simon and Nikko on that card and would have LOVED that playoff. I was feeling a little ageist against the Heimbot :D

Apparently there are some course etiquette complaints regarding the PGA winner from this weekend too.

Times they are a changin

Just caught the Jomez. Even though my one interaction with Nikko was a bit douchey and rude on his part, I couldn't help but root for him. There's something about that barely-controlled fire, threatening to incinerate his game at any moment, that when an athlete stays in command of himself despite it, is really special. Any outcome would have made me happy, but this outcome was the best.

Performance tracks.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• TPCMPOTracks.png
    TPCMPOTracks.png
    128.8 KB · Views: 214
  • TPCFPOTracks.png
    TPCFPOTracks.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 203
Don't want to spoil anything, but...

Was anyone else surprised to see Nikko lay up on hole 17 of the final round? Seemed like a pretty clear opportunity to put himself in the driver's seat.

Instead he kicked the can down the road, and went into an open bomber of a last hole tied with Lizotte and Heimburg. That's an objectively un-enviable position to be in.

It worked out for Nikko, obviously. I'm in no position to question the successful strategy. Just really shocked that he didn't go for the dagger on 17.

Yeah she mentions it in her commentary and you can see the name in some of the footage. I checked yesterday and they're sold out on Infinite Discs. Would love it know if they were already or if it's a Paige Pierce effect...

Fun choice to have the Surge SS as her max driver in Discrafts large pool of faster drivers

Don't want to spoil anything, but...

Was anyone else surprised to see Nikko lay up on hole 17 of the final round? Seemed like a pretty clear opportunity to put himself in the driver's seat.

Instead he kicked the can down the road, and went into an open bomber of a last hole tied with Lizotte and Heimburg. That's an objectively un-enviable position to be in.

It worked out for Nikko, obviously. I'm in no position to question the successful strategy. Just really shocked that he didn't go for the dagger on 17.

i was surprised but if he missed and rolled ob into that water which is ob that would have costed him 1st and second and 3rd place total iirc

Apparently there are some course etiquette complaints regarding the PGA winner from this weekend too.

Times they are a changin

I don't think times are changing, it is just social media flotsam. DeChambeau chunked a sand shot and slammed his club into the sand, in anger. He then got in the face of the camera man following him, looking for more childish antics. This pissed off DeChambeau, who turned "Karen" on the cameraman.

Anger and misbehavior is part of sports. It is magnified by media exposure and then sometimes punished, but it will never be removed. And I am glad.

Im pretty stunned by all the Nikko hate I've seen the last couple of days. This is mildly hyperbolic but at this point, whether by design or not, he is living rent free in seemingly every PDGA pro and announcer's head on one level or another.

I get it to a certain extent but all the pearl clutching only gives Nikko reason to never change IMO.

On another note, was that just wind on Simons drive on 18 or did he screw up? It was really nice to see him play a strategical game this weekend.

I was Concerned for Eagle waiting for him to do some outburst that was really bad and hurt his body, that never happened. :thmbup:

I just don't see the point obsessing over something that the top pros obviously don't care that much about calling.

Whenever people talk about counting seconds it brings to mind JohnE's 30 second countdown on McBeth.

With backups on the course being common at tournaments, I don't think time is of the essence in this game.

I admittedly didn't watch the live coverage of this event, but I have watched Nikko play live several times. I think how many time violations he gets is often overstated. 20-25 seconds feels like an eternity when most people are taking around 10 seconds or less for the same putt. So it always feels like he is super slow, but in reality when I was timing him he only went over 30 seconds twice in the entire round, and even then it was only by a couple of seconds.

Absolutely a slow player, but I doubt going over 30 seconds is quite as common as people are making it sound.

I was personally happy to see him win. When I came into the game about 11 years ago he was the highest rated player and I really liked watching some of the early coverage of his rounds. I would rather the sport have a few Nikko's than a million stoic emotionless robots who are more "professional." But that is just my opinion. I can appreciate that some don't feel that way.

Latest posts