• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2021 Green Mountain Championship Sept 9-12

I love turf (you already know this) but it has to be the right kind of turf- knitted nylon not woven polypropolene. Actual old school Astroturf is knitted nylon.

Poly is a royal PITA to install properly (raking fill in until it there is about 1/4 inch of turf above the fill) and is slick when wet when not properly installed. Poly is also very easy to come by used whereas the knitted nylon is only used for field hockey anymore so is a bitch to get. To my knowledge the only poly turf in this area is at the Blockhouse and at Bull Run. Loriella, Lake Marshall, Walnut Creek, Cannon Ridge, Montgomery Hall, Meadowcreek, Raptor's, and the temp rolls that NOVA and LOCO both have are all knitted nylon from either the JMU field hockey field (green) or the UVA field hockey field (blue).

I would wager Horsman has not trodden on knitted nylon turf.

Probably not, I tend to stay away from courses with turf tees and all of the turf courses that I have played have had slick turf tees.

According to DGCR these are Chainstar baskets which I have no problem with. I do have a problem when I see baskets that are not even close to level. :doh:

Yup...or when they don't put the pins in the top of the Discatchers so the whole top assembly swings back and forth when the putter hit the chains.

so far par golf = first place in fpo

Just bad that safe par golf and let everybody else make misstakes is enough in FPO.

Hokom does not really throw far or have a BH and still can beat the best FPO players....a player like that would be destroyed in MPO.

Hokom made 16pars in R2. . .Paige made 8 pars

But as long as Paige can still win she WILL be the most super aggressive player in the field

Might be hard to say, but i feel like the FPO field has got worse in 2021, putting is horrible and så many misstakes of the tee.

Seems like so long ago, but I thought Kristin's visit provided some of the best reason to watch the FPO side of the DGPR, and was disappointed when she went back to Europe (although I can't blame her). Paige and Hailey have been streaky. Cat's been pretty consistent, but she's had her off moments, too. But yeah, sometimes the FPO putting is tough to watch. :\

< knows about watching rough putting :eek:

I followed the lead card for about an hour on Saturday and Sunday at the DGLO (after the MPO had finished up). There were 20-25 spectators so I wouldn't say "nobody" was following, but yeah not very many.

It's the same sport, but I kind of compare it to NBA vs WNBA. The men have sellouts at most arenas while the women could play most of their games in a high school gym with room to spare.

Can we talk about Melton's second round? Falling 70 spots is impressive. I think I am late to the teepad discussion, but I can also confirm the concrete tees hold up around here all year round and the good ones are grippy pretty much no matter what. The only ones that get slick are the ones that have been around for 20 years and the texture has worn off.

The entirety of Finland seems to do fine on them. I dont really know what your deal with them is but I remember reading it before.

IMO, they don't have good grip. Could just be me, but I haven't played on turf tees yet that allow for full power shots while not having my feet slip out from beneath me. And this problem is even worse when the tees are wet or full of mud. Watching the coverage so far, it looks to me like a lot of the pros also slip a lot on these tees, and the ones who don't are throwing powered down shots to compensate for lack of grip. To me it brings the sport down by not allowing players to play with confidence and to their full potentials.

The entirety of Finland seems to do fine on them. I dont really know what your deal with them is but I remember reading it before.

Same in Sweden, turf are the "standard" . . .a good "sanded" turf pad dont get slippery.
But they can suck in the winter, , ,

A pro Teepad should be sanded with 160kg of fine sand . . . if you do that it will not get slick.

There were no type of tee pads that would have had grip yesterday. With being in the woods and dirt being walked onto the teepads there was nothing to do. Also, pros should be able to make adjustments in what they do to be able to adapt to the conditions.

I played on a couple cards with a touring pro at our local non-sanctioned tourney a couple weekends ago. Our course is in a rainforest and the tees range from mud to decent concrete and it was dumping rain the first day. I appreciated her attitude of adapting to the challenging conditions and having fun and not complaining about it the whole weekend. Yes, we all know our course could use some improvements and we're working on it, but in the meantime if there isn't room or grip for a full run up, don't try to do one and then complain about the results!

Latest posts