• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2021 Green Mountain Championship Sept 9-12

I don't believe this. You have the most experience out of anybody on here but nicely raked concrete tees should have been fine imo. Even if dirt and mud gets walked into them, the tees have nice brooms available and the players would be able clean out the concrete and get better grip. I've experienced what you're talking about and using a broom to clean the pads makes a world of difference. No where near as nice as dry conditions but an infinite amount better than wet pavers or turf.
I'm betting you don't have any experience with Texas mud/clay. :sick:

I'm surprised nobody brought a beach towel, I always bring one in wet/slick conditions.

I actually discussed this with a Smuggs employee / tournament staff member over dinner last night. Based on the freeze / thaw cycles which they experience yearly here in northern Vermont, as well as the overwhelming casual play which the tees receive during the spring, summer, and fall seasons, they will never install concrete tees at these courses.

I have NEVER seen a properly installed concrete pad crack due to freezing/thawing.

Eagle McMahon bounces back from yesterday's lackluster performance with a 57, currently unofficially rated at 1054.

Simon Lizotte with the current hot round of the day, a -9 round of 54 on the par 63 Fox Run layout, currently unofficially rated at 1072.

Surely you must be joking!!!

Casey White from Shirley, Massachusetts is 12 under par (with a bogey!)...on pace to shoot double digits under par and the hot round of the day!

Edit: Casey White not the hot round of the day, but still a great round!

(Gotta make sure I'm looking more carefully next time :doh:)

Last edited:
If UDisc is correct, Chris Clemons scored an eagle 2 on the 600-foot par four 11th hole on Fox Run, which would be absolutely insane.

11.jpg

Huge roar from the gallery just now on hole#18...similar to Hailey King yesterday, Noah Meintsma #56555 from Minneapolis, MN just bombed his approach in for an eagle 2!

the turf tees are always a bad idea.

Am I in the minority liking turf tees? I never seem to struggle with grip on them even in the wet, where concrete I've had to use towels when it's rainy or wet mud gets tracked on it.

New London Tech down in Lynchburg has turf tees and I think it's the old turf from Liberty Uni and those pads are great.

Am I in the minority liking turf tees? I never seem to struggle with grip on them even in the wet, where concrete I've had to use towels when it's rainy or wet mud gets tracked on it.

New London Tech down in Lynchburg has turf tees and I think it's the old turf from Liberty Uni and those pads are great.

Nah, theres plenty of people out there that love turf tees and say they get tons of grip on them. I dont understand how people get grip on them but to each their own.

I love turf (you already know this) but it has to be the right kind of turf- knitted nylon not woven polypropolene. Actual old school Astroturf is knitted nylon.

Poly is a royal PITA to install properly (raking fill in until it there is about 1/4 inch of turf above the fill) and is slick when wet when not properly installed. Poly is also very easy to come by used whereas the knitted nylon is only used for field hockey anymore so is a bitch to get. To my knowledge the only poly turf in this area is at the Blockhouse and at Bull Run. Loriella, Lake Marshall, Walnut Creek, Cannon Ridge, Montgomery Hall, Meadowcreek, Raptor's, and the temp rolls that NOVA and LOCO both have are all knitted nylon from either the JMU field hockey field (green) or the UVA field hockey field (blue).

I would wager Horsman has not trodden on knitted nylon turf.