• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2021 Ledgestone Insurance Open Aug 5-8

This. Does. Not. Compute. :p
I know, I am strange. Most courses it is hard to see full flights, and some courses frankly a lot of the holes can start looking identical, especially if I have not played it. It is hard to really grasp the overall layout of a hole, especially longer ones. Idlewild has similar holes on the back nine, but having played them, I have a much better idea what a good shot is, so it is much more enjoyable to watch.

I felt like someone taped one of my rounds at times today. Except the dents in the trees were deeper.

I like a good mix of holes the best, again like Idlewild, or Maple Hill.

What got into those guys heads? Watching Paul try and go over the top instead of playing smart was crazy.

Those two holes, 12 and 14 I believe, playing over a full stroke over par, if you take a 6 you're keeping pace and it felt like none of them realized that

Gatekeeper's MPO R2 coverage of the chase card may not have had the entertainment value of watching Paul basically saying "F**k it!", but the chase card played some really great golf.

Did Charlie Eisenhood narrate the old PDGA Worlds videos? His voice sounds so darn familiar

Don't know if anyone answered yet, but Charlie is the publisher of the podcast The Upshot. If you dig podcasts, and you dig disc golf, you'll really dig The Upshot. :thmbup:

The rating system has no idea what to do with courses like these. If Kyle would have shot -21 on this course, that would have been almost as good as Paul's -17 at Fountain Hills.

But the rating system is fine!

The rating system has no idea what to do with courses like these. If Kyle would have shot -21 on this course, that would have been almost as good as Paul's -17 at Fountain Hills.

But the rating system is fine!

The rating system is fine, if properly understood. It's not perfect (see your example), but no rating system would be able to compare two drastically different courses without having its own flaws. McBeth has shot a 39 at Fountain Hills, and most players shoot in the mid-high 40s. The best score at Northwoods Black (after only 2 rounds) is a 60, but most scores are in the upper 60s. Additionally, the scoring spread is so different. All I'm saying is that you can't make the comparison with ratings to courses with such different SSAs.

"All I'm saying is that you can't make the comparison with ratings to courses with such different SSAs."

Ok I guess, but you absolutely should be able to. Comparing different data sets is one of the basic tasks the field of statistics routinely completes.

But of course, don't want to go down this rabbit hole, and at the end of the day it isn't a huge deal if the RR isn't quite accurate. :thmbup:

When a player shoots significantly below their rating, is it still used to determine the round rating?

For the individual, if they have a really bad round, it is dropped right? It would make sense to exclude anomalies from the round ratings as well. Of course that would be something of an iterative process.

So Im curious about yalls interpretation of why PMB struggled so much with NWB course? Im only about 7 holes into R2F9 but my initial impression is that he is trying to hit the narrow pure lines high high speed stuff instead of dialing his aggression back a couple notches? I mean in a nutshell he isnt hitting his lines, but they are incredibly demanding lines hole after hole.