• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2021 Ledgestone Insurance Open Aug 5-8

Google says sunset in Peoria is about 8:05 PM.
That's bout an hour from now. While you can usually play a little bit after the official sunset time, it gets dark quickly if it's still cloudy out.

This could be a strange way for Calvin to get what I think might be his first DGPT Elite Series Championship.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's over. I'm sure Calvin and Ricky would be willing to playoff in the morning, but rules don't seem to provide that as an option.

Sorta related, but it'd be fun to see a skins match or some kind of cash round with a bunch of big names playing glow golf.

Obviously would be pretty much impossible to film though. It'd be fun because glow golf seems to have a very chill vibe to it. Also makes you wonder how many of them have played a glow round, and what, if any changes they'd make to their bag setup.

From the relevant portion of the completion Manual:

1.07, Suspension of Play (Paragraph J)

1.09, Ties (Paragraph D2):
Is this specific to Ledgestone, or standard rules for the pro tour?

Seems a bit trivial to end it like that, for a sport that's quickly gaining legitimacy. For comparison, the PGA would finish Monday morning. I'm sure all the guys within striking distance would prefer that. I sure hope they wouldn't end a major like this.

I fully understand they have a lot of volunteer staff who have to work tomorrow, and other logistical challenges. Just isn't a good look in my opinion.

Is this specific to Ledgestone, or standard rules for the pro tour?

Seems a bit trivial to end it like that, for a sport that's quickly gaining legitimacy. For comparison, the PGA would finish Monday morning. I'm sure all the guys within striking distance would prefer that. I sure hope they wouldn't end a major like this.

I fully understand they have a lot of volunteer staff who have to work tomorrow, and other logistical challenges. Just isn't a good look in my opinion.

You are correct. DG historically recognizes it is a part time sport so it's been policy (and by rule) to finish on the weekend no matter what.

That's standard rules for all PDGA events. They cannot and will not continue play tomorrow. Even for elite events (Ledgestone is not a major), these rules still apply.

Perhaps we can change the rules when registration is restricted to a select group of full-time players, but as long as registration is open to players who might have made plans for the day after a tournament, the policy will stand. And the nifty thing about policies is that they apply to everyone.

Last edited:
I'm really surprised that's the case. Imagine it's worlds, Paul is up by one going into the final round, then Ricky leads by 5 strokes after 16 holes and they stop due to weather and Paul wins. That would be a laughingstock forever. They seriously need to look at that for next season and beyond.

I'm willing to bet the pro tour gets an exception or flat out ignores the rule within 3 years. I understand why the rule is in place and agree with it being there, but it seems like the dgpt will realize it shouldn't apply to them and get it changed or break it.

I posted the above not because I think dgpt is a bunch of rebels, but it's definitely a negative for them to have a shortened final round and co-champions, especially when a potential playoff is at hand.

Additionally, if they were interested in following the rules to a T, we'd have already heard a co-champion announcement.

Sorta related, but it'd be fun to see a skins match or some kind of cash round with a bunch of big names playing glow golf.

Obviously would be pretty much impossible to film though. It'd be fun because glow golf seems to have a very chill vibe to it. Also makes you wonder how many of them have played a glow round, and what, if any changes they'd make to their bag setup.

Night vision cameras...:D

I'm really surprised that's the case. Imagine it's worlds, Paul is up by one going into the final round, then Ricky leads by 5 strokes after 16 holes and they stop due to weather and Paul wins. That would be a laughingstock forever. They seriously need to look at that for next season and beyond.

It would be official after 13 holes... I think

But it isn't Worlds though. This has been standard practice pretty much since the beginning. The players are aware of it. Casual disc golf watchers don't really exist. There is no controversy.
My point is that Worlds is subject to the same rule, so they are exposing themselves to some potential ridicule in the unlikely event it ever went down that way. Not to mention the players & sponsors who are increasingly invested in the sport year over year, as the money & prestige continue to accelerate.

I agree most of us don't really care and this won't even be a blip in the big picture. It needs to be looked at in the future though, at least for majors. Think of the image you want to project for your sport and plan for the worst outcomes. You want your elite events to have a legit winner and no grumbling about unfairness.

@DiscGolfProTour
·
3m
Due to severe weather it was not possible to safely proceed with the final round of the tournament tonight. According to PDGA rules, scores will be reverted to the last completed round. Congratulations to
@sockibomb13
and Calvin Heimburg your 2021 Ledgestone Open Co-Champions!
E8UAH-lVEAIuZBD

My point is that Worlds is subject to the same rule, so they are exposing themselves to some potential ridicule in the unlikely event it ever went down that way. Not to mention the players & sponsors who are increasingly invested in the sport year over year, as the money & prestige continue to accelerate.

I agree most of us don't really care and this won't even be a blip in the big picture. It needs to be looked at in the future though, at least for majors. Think of the image you want to project for your sport and plan for the worst outcomes. You want your elite events to have a legit winner and no grumbling about unfairness.

People have travel plans. Some have hotel or Air B&B accommodations for a set amount of time. Some have to be back at work on Monday. 3 rounds is plenty of disc golf to have a legit winner. You can't just say whoever wants to stay for another round can and if you can't stay sorry about your luck. The outcome was fair as all competitors played the same number of holes.

People have travel plans. Some have hotel or Air B&B accommodations for a set amount of time. Some have to be back at work on Monday. 3 rounds is plenty of disc golf to have a legit winner. You can't just say whoever wants to stay for another round can and if you can't stay sorry about your luck. The outcome was fair as all competitors played the same number of holes.
I agree it's fine for this tournament, and again, my concern is what it would look like for a major. I made the PGA comparison because disc golf is growing by leaps & bounds every year and it would be wise to treat your signature events with that level of prestige. It would be bizarre to say the least, if the Masters just ended because of a storm and the round 3 leader took the green jacket.

Latest posts