• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT San Francisco Open

Jerm needs to stop trying so damn hard to come up with that perfect one liner in every vid. The thing that makes for good funny commentary(which is obviously what these guys are going for), is letting things flow. You cant force comedy...

...unless you're smart.

There you go, ad hominem again. Now you say I have a grudge instead of countering my point. Please correct my understanding of what happened at USDGC 2016. Let's get to the facts, because Paige sounded upset with you during her live stream. I was trying to point out that maybe if you were more of a team player, others would want to hire you. Sorry you are struggling to get work. I have no complaints about the quality of SpinTV.

Some free advice, probably best not to complain about your compensation on social media.

I'm not gonna go down a line by line with you man, lol. Whatever you think happened, ain't what happened. You haven't said anything that's remotely correct in these two posts, regarding 2016 USDGC or myself...so can we please just bury this hatchet you're holding? It's a little silly at this point.

I agree. In edited footage, commentary is next to impossible to get "right" (depending on your preference). There are really only two ways to approach it...

1) Sportscenter highlight style...straight-forward and to the point. This is the player, this is what they threw, this is the result, next shot. No real banter, not much opinion, just the facts. Tough to do off the cuff seeing the footage for the first time (sportscasters tend to have a script when calling highlights).

2) DVD commentary track style...a running conversation that is allowed to stray from the action once in a while in order to tell stories or give explanations. That's even as other footage rolls underneath and gets "missed" by the commenters. This is the much easier method when viewing something for the first time, as it is supposed to be more loose and relaxed (giggling allowed).

I think anyone watching commentary on edited footage and wanting it to sound like they're commenting on live action has unfair expectations.

The perfect recipe IMO is accurate switching between the two. If there are no-brainer par tapouts or other mundane events rolling by, feel free to meander, but be on the ready to snap out of your reverie if something extraordinary happens. A lot of the time Nate and Jerm get this pretty good, but sometimes they are off on a tangent for a way longer time than necessary, especially if said tangent is only about "who makes a better simile and carries on the joke" and if during that blabber an amazing shot gets completely uncommented on, that does irk me. But I got to say, my irks are few and far between watching Jomez nowadays (or CCDG for that matter). The data graphics and other post produced tidbits make up for those commentary irks and much more.

I think your fandom is showing a bit here, because first you have to recognize that Ian is the king of /r/discgolf. Jerm and Nate are jesters in his court, and I'm the dude hauling the cart outside yelling "Bring out yer dead!".

Not trying to sound like a dick here, but I helped build the biggest disc golf media outlet in the sport (won't be #1 for much longer - all due props to Jomez for their grind and dedication). I personally feel like I've provided proof as far as what I can bring to the table while at the same time knowing that I can always get better, and I'm always down to collaborate with people. :)

There's lots of behind-the-scenes stuff that has happened that's not really worth going into, but I do miss it, I am admittedly a little jealous (I'm only human...), but I want to emphasize as well that I'm not hating on people trying to grind and make their way in the world. I just feel like the spirit of inclusivity (bringing pros into the booth to share a perspective) has been taken over and replaced with a notion that pros can do a better job, and I just don't agree with that. I also recognize that I had a hand in all of this, because I wanted pros on the mic with me...though I wanted a stable host and a rotating carousel of analysts, because I know what that spotlight can do for them.

If I'm Jim Nantz (and thank you, by the way) - I want to meet the Mike Tirico, the Terry Gannon, etc. and I just don't see the window right now in the current configuration for those people to come up. I truly believe that the GOAT disc golf commentator has not been discovered yet. I just want that person to be able to have a chance, because our productions are going to grow to be unbelievably good once that discovery takes place.

I'm all about more options on the table. If I was directing content for Jomez I'd rebrand BigSexy as a video-based podcast, and give Jerm and Nate some input into what the video actually looks like so it matches their conversation flow better, and put together a more broadcast-style play by play team for the 24-hour edits.

If Nate and Jerm could, for example, rewind a shot and dissect it, then skip a boring hole, then pause to make fun of one of their buddies outfits, etc...then the jokes would land harder and the analysis would come off more as more profound. Hell, you could do this as a livestream (kinda like DGPT did with FPO this weekend) - go live on the channel and give them the controls to pause/rewind/ff the video cut they're watching. It might take a few episodes for them to get smooth on the controls, but I think it would really highlight what they do well and effectively mask what they don't do so well.

I do enjoy the laid back vibe, I just don't think it fits with the direction that they're pushing technically - but again that's just one guy's opinion on the internet...and you know the ol' saying about opinions

Dude. Just stop.

You wouldn't be implementing any of these ideas, nor have the time to think of them, because you'd be traveling around the country putting in 16-20 hour days just trying to get the coverage done.

What are you up to, Jaime? Do you still work in disc golf, or have you just become an internet expert like the rest of us?

I didn't hear any audio echo at all in the 3 live streams. Granted...I tend to watch them "an hour or so into it" so I can fast forward during the slow parts, by the time the last few holes are on I'm 100% live all the way through it. I do agree the camera was a bit off from time to time. Aren't commentators supposed to be commenting on what we the viewers are seeing? What else are they supposed to be commenting on? I don't get "made them seem well detached from the action - they were only seeing what we were seeing, and added next to nothing". I do think they are close to the ultimate live format, 2 booth commentators and 1 field reporter walking the fairways.

Again, goes to show how different all of our tastes and opinions are.

I'll say again, they offered zero insights outside of two guys watching footage on a screen in a room. I hit the mute button. Just my opinion. Live coverage: still terrible.

The perfect recipe IMO is accurate switching between the two. If there are no-brainer par tapouts or other mundane events rolling by, feel free to meander, but be on the ready to snap out of your reverie if something extraordinary happens. A lot of the time Nate and Jerm get this pretty good, but sometimes they are off on a tangent for a way longer time than necessary, especially if said tangent is only about "who makes a better simile and carries on the joke" and if during that blabber an amazing shot gets completely uncommented on, that does irk me. But I got to say, my irks are few and far between watching Jomez nowadays (or CCDG for that matter). The data graphics and other post produced tidbits make up for those commentary irks and much more.

I agree that the ideal is a blend of the two, but the way to do that is for the commentators to know what's coming in the video. A shot sheet of some kind like Sportscenter anchors have. That way, they know when a bunch of tap-outs or an extraordinary shot is coming and can adjust their conversation accordingly. That's how the pros do it.

Without a larger staff doing the editing (so they have someone who can create the shot sheet as they go), there's only so far they can go improving the commentary toward that ideal.

Again, goes to show how different all of our tastes and opinions are.

I'll say again, they offered zero insights outside of two guys watching footage on a screen in a room. I hit the mute button. Just my opinion. Live coverage: still terrible.

I thought Dixon offered plenty of insight, but since you watched with the mute button on, you wouldn't have heard it.

I'm to the point that I only watch the live coverage when it's available. I used to watch most of the post produced stuff, but it's starting to seem stale to me anymore. Good production values, but the main point of it to some of the commentators seems to be promotion of discs and showing off how cleaver and cool they are.

Time for a bittersweet post - I haven't stirred the pot in awhile...

On the sweet/nostalgic side - I miss doing commentary. It's now been over a year. I don't think 2 pros together bring a wide enough perspective, and with the logistics of making it happen on quick turnarounds they don't prepare adequately IMO. I'm honestly not hating, I just don't enjoy the new style as much.

Bitter - it annoys me when pros ask for money to do commentary. They already make FAR more money than any of the media people do, plus just doing it raises their profile exponentially and sells their sig/tour discs. Some of these people are getting 5-figure royalty checks monthly, yet they feel like they need to take my job and get paid for it (on top of getting paid for doing theirs).

Yeah I know I'm being whiny, just had to get that off of my chest. It's just the combination of taking opportunities away from more qualified individuals who would really put their heart and soul into that task (not just the names you know today, but also people that would come up and prove themselves on the mic), and asking for more money to do so while treating it as a 2nd or 3rd priority. That just seems backwards to me.

You have done so much for this sport, more than most of us know, but this post is pathetic. The days of over produced and scripted commentary are over. The two pro model is resonating well with fans and aligns logistically with the tour travel schedule. Sure, some two pro combos leave a lot to be desired. But Jomez has done a great job balancing when to invite new pro's into the booth and when to use BigSexy. Correct me if I'm wrong - for all large events filmed by Jomez, they have been released video with commentary next day? By definition that is a quick turnaround and even SpinTV struggled with this at times.

Never fault someone for someone for finding a way, legally and ethically, to grow their personal wealth and brand. You were beat out of job (or was it because SpinTV is no longer around?). Tough cookies. What are you going to do to get it back? If there are more qualified individuals from a media perspective to do commentary, why are they not being asked? Feeling bitter will just ostracize you further from commentary opportunities.

Not a bad golf course lay-out. It wasn't a snooze fest like GBO.
Interesting to see what tweeks they make for next year.

Jerm is getting pretty annoying
Still like Cory and Ian
I watched no live coverage

Congratulations Paul.

That's all I got

Not a bad golf course lay-out. It wasn't a snooze fest like GBO.
Interesting to see what tweeks they make for next year.

Jerm is getting pretty annoying
Still like Cory and Ian
I watched no live coverage

Congratulations Paul.

That's all I got

I watched Round 1 CCDG and have to say I agree with this. Probably one of the better dg bolf courses I've seen and there was enough variety to the holes that it wasn't repetitive...like GBO.

The media coverage options we have currently are the best we've ever had. Terry Miller and Dixon did a great job carrying the live footage, BigSexy is always entertaining, and Cory and Ian at Central Coast round things out nicely. I watched all of the SFO live footage as it happened, and I've also watched every post-produced video released from this past weekend. Thank you so much to all of those who put in countless hours to make this happen for the rest of us.

Anybody else not missing the DGWT and its stranglehold on media coverage? Looking back, it reminds me of the Longhorn Network. How'd that work out for UT?

jerm really needs to learn the difference between "less" and "fewer"

kinda boring tourney to watch overall for me... the wind makes for tough scoring conditions but not always super fun viewing

San Francisco Open 2018 at Gleneagles Golf Course
Performance Tracks
MPO
attachment.php
FPO
attachment.php

Attachments

• SFOMPOTracks.jpg
    SFOMPOTracks.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 200
  • SFOFPOTracks.jpg
    SFOFPOTracks.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 195
Time for a bittersweet post - I haven't stirred the pot in awhile...

On the sweet/nostalgic side - I miss doing commentary. It's now been over a year. I don't think 2 pros together bring a wide enough perspective, and with the logistics of making it happen on quick turnarounds they don't prepare adequately IMO. I'm honestly not hating, I just don't enjoy the new style as much.

Bitter - it annoys me when pros ask for money to do commentary. They already make FAR more money than any of the media people do, plus just doing it raises their profile exponentially and sells their sig/tour discs. Some of these people are getting 5-figure royalty checks monthly, yet they feel like they need to take my job and get paid for it (on top of getting paid for doing theirs).

Yeah I know I'm being whiny, just had to get that off of my chest. It's just the combination of taking opportunities away from more qualified individuals who would really put their heart and soul into that task (not just the names you know today, but also people that would come up and prove themselves on the mic), and asking for more money to do so while treating it as a 2nd or 3rd priority. That just seems backwards to me.

I've got to agree with you, and in particular I'm kinda of tired of Big Jerm. As a pretty big Packers fan, I feel like he's the Troy Aikman of disc golf commentating: super whiny and over critical of a lot of things. For Troy Aikman, it was a couple years of just being hyper-critical of the Packers organization and everything they did. With Jerm, it's constantly b****ing about par and course design, and giving way more stats than necessary. Some are interesting, but a decent bit are less descriptive than just talking about the hole.

Ian and Cory are a great pair, so love hearing them commentate on CCDG, but with them as the exception, I find I like a host to do the play by play with a pro to do commentary. Seems to work pretty well in the NFL.

I will also say, such a gorgeous and awesome course. I love how they used the trees around the golf fairways as much as possible, and even the golf fairway shots weren't terrible. So many fun holes to watch the pros throw, where as I feel a lot of the ball golf course conversions are seriously boring hyzer to the middle, two trees to miss upshots.

Hey, I haven't had a chance to stir any pots either!

1. Jamie. I bet there is some guy at ESPN that is sad that Jason Witten just took his job too. But, I understand what you are saying about the pros stepping in, but as you know it is the nature of the beast. They have more fans than media, and they will bring in more eyeballs. We all know that the best player commentator is still playing... Doss. If anyone can wrangle him in when he is done, it will be a blessing. But I have a feeling that Bevel will occupy his time. Oh, and I saw your boss Charlie yesterday at the Ultimate College Championships here in Milwaukee. Got to talk for a bit. Good stuff.

As far as getting paid, everyone deserves compensation for their time. Sexton makes about $300-500 for every event he commentates thru Patreon. So Jomez probably doesn't pay him anymore.

2. I felt that Dixon actually brings very good course & stats insight into the booth. And he has been very good about not over-talking during the play like he did a few years ago when we had him. Dixon puts in the effort to know things. I honestly think he is the most prepared commentator that is currently out there. You may not like his style, and I can't dispute your opinion. But I am telling you what I see behind the scenes.

3. McCall is absolutely great. And if DD didn't have him, I would make a HARD bid at getting him on regularly. Well spoken, professional, funny, great hair, and a wonderful person. He is the person I would choose to work with the most if I had an option because of his personality and genuine demeanor. Truly a good person.

4. Echo in the booth. Oh boy. Don't get me started about this. Yes, there was a little bit of "echo". It was because on Fri & Sun we were in a library room that was very empty. So nothing was stopping the sound from bouncing around. SFO was very difficult for us to setup a proper booth like we had at GBO. The location we were at on Saturday was much better, but was closed on Sunday.

5. Someone complained about the picture in picture. I used that shot on exactly 2 holes the ENTIRE tournament. It was the short shots towards the end of the 3rd round when I wanted to get a reaction shot from Ricky and Paul as they came down the stretch. I will continue to use it when I deem necessary... or whenever I want cause I run the show. HA.

6. Someone stating "Jomez should always have lead." **** that noise. I have ZERO stake in the post production world. But there is enough behind-the-scenes politics already regarding who gets what cards. CCDG has earned a spot to have lead card. I like both the Jomez and CCDG crews, and you can have your opinion about either of them, but to just declare a winner is silly. There are so many people that love Ian & Cory and can't stand BigSexy, and vice versa.

7. And finally, I want to have a sideline reporter too. And I hope that we get to work with Steve Hill on this, as he is a natural fit (and the perfect price point).

Liked the course. Didn't have a ball golf feel to me. I still prefer tighter courses but that's why I'm glad I'll have a chance to watch Idlewild, Maple Hill, HOFC?, Milo, and others.

On another note, Jomez's success is impressive and undeniable. My impression was that they started getting pro commentary because Jonathan just didn't have the confidence or natural ability behind the mic. It's 12 to 24 months later now, and dang that has worked out! As one of the thousands of free-disc-hopefuls, I realize those comment & subscriber gimmicks are worthwhile. I have no idea how much they're paying Big Sexy, but it's probably worth it.

As far as commentary, so much is about chemistry. Nate and Jerm have it, even though I agree Jerm is mainly there cuz he's Jerm, not because he's particularly amazing. Nate, though, is the gold standard in the business right now as far as I'm concerned, preparation or no. He's the only pro who's there because of his merits as a commentator, not because of his pro status.

While I'm on chemistry, I like CCDG going back to the tried and true Ian/Cory combo. It's hard to describe, but the duo works (even though I can see why some aren't crazy about them). It's clear that putting 2 individually skilled commentators is not a simple recipe for success. If they don't work well together, there is a net negative in the combination.

5. Someone complained about the picture in picture. I used that shot on exactly 2 holes the ENTIRE tournament. It was the short shots towards the end of the 3rd round when I wanted to get a reaction shot from Ricky and Paul as they came down the stretch. I will continue to use it when I deem necessary... or whenever I want cause I run the show. HA.

That was me. Thank you for taking the time to address it. As I said, I was only able to catch about three holes of the live coverage since I was on a long drive on Sunday. I must have caught the only holes you used it on. The actual feature was fine. Like I mentioned, though, the delay between the shot and the cut to the b cam was a bit long. Keep up the great work. I love live coverage and you guys do great work!

Latest posts