• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc diving

PWaggoner

Double Eagle Member
So it's cold. And I have some discs I'd like to get back. Anyone have a nice setup? I'd like to be able to get in super cold water for long periods of time without getting cold or wet. Also like to be able to go at least shoulder height. Material can not be easily damaged as there are sticks and such.

Possibly I'd like to even be able to fully go underwater. Anyone use lights underwater for skummy pond water? Wonder if a light actually works good.

I'd consider using a boat with a nice led setup or something... Maybe with a gator.

Anyways. Let me know what kind of setups you use. I'd like to be able to potentially go out very deep in my local courses pond and get back some forever lost plastic. Right now is be fine with like shoulder depth water.

I'd like the best bang for the buck of course. Not going to be using it for anything besides. But over a couple years of selling no names and gimmes prolly could make a bit of the money back. I'll check the links. Search option! Whyd I forget

its probably just easier and cheaper to replace it. and you dont have to waste any time.

or just ask user vonbreezy

A few discs out only 20+ft from land just laying on the ice at my local course. Ice is sturdy and I could probably walk onto it to grab a few. (I weigh like 100 pounds, I'm a kid) Sadly, my dad wont let me.. :/

Pretty much bunch of crap. I don't mind reading threw threads. But I don't care about people not diving anymore because they get sick, why don't use a golden retriever?, people pee in that water, GATORS! I dived the last two summers and pulled like 500+ Discs easily. I hate waiting for winter to be over. And the last actually useful posts are five years old, technology has changed hopefully and may be able to get a cool setup for cheaps.

Be a man and jump in. I swam in 50 degree water for 30 minutes trying to recover my Ace Boss in nothing but swimming trunks.*

* Do not do this. This poster is stubborn bordering on stupid at times.

To the above poster who wants to venture out of ice for a piece of plastic, don't. Get a retriever for that stuff man, don't play with ice.

A few discs out only 20+ft from land just laying on the ice at my local course. Ice is sturdy and I could probably walk onto it to grab a few. (I weigh like 100 pounds, I'm a kid) Sadly, my dad wont let me.. :/
Don't underestimate dad's wisdom!

Ya I tried that last year for my atlas. It sucked majorly bad. And I had to leave immediately. Prefer something that I can play a round, find some discs, thenplay another round.

Tree knocker what about the feet?

They have boots on the same website. With a set up like that your going to get wet. But once the water gets in the suit it starts to warm pretty fast. If you Put your head under your face will be cold but it will go numb quickly.

Nothing wrong with diving in with just trunks on. Just have some towels and dry clothes when you come out. Athletes take ice water baths. I have done it the. Played a round and felt great.

Your "best bang for the buck" would be to find a diving hobbyist and work a deal for them to do the diving. Would also save you much time and waste.

Pretty much bunch of crap. I don't mind reading threw threads. But I don't care about people not diving anymore because they get sick, why don't use a golden retriever?, people pee in that water, GATORS! I dived the last two summers and pulled like 500+ Discs easily. I hate waiting for winter to be over. And the last actually useful posts are five years old, technology has changed hopefully and may be able to get a cool setup for cheaps.

Looks like someone is the new pond diver extraordinaire.

. . . may be able to get a cool setup for cheaps.

I got a three season wetsuit from LLbean for a little over a hundred. Booties and gloves were almost another hundred themselves. I'm comfortable enough on a sunny day over 40 degrees. Changing out of the getup is colder than the swim.

Cheap would be keeping your budget under $200, reasonable under $300. You are not going to be able to find a dry-suit for close to that.

Oh and for even thinking of pond diving you are a thief and the cause of every lost disc that will ever be lost ever!

Last edited:
Your "best bang for the buck" would be to find a diving hobbyist and work a deal for them to do the diving. Would also save you much time and waste.

What this guy said. I didn't buy my gear to retrieve discs. I am only going in ice cold water for emergency rescue missions where a I or a friend looses a disc and doesn't have time to replace before tournament or something. You can buy a lot of discs for $300