• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Disc golf collectors

timj5304

Double Eagle Member
I remember right when the groups on Facebook started and they were for the most part true collectors, rare runs, older mint condition disc like circle stamps while not valuable in the money standpoint like others, they still were hard to comeby. I would say 90% of the posts the past 6 months are just plain stock junk that has nothing to with being collectible at all. The buzzz page used to be collectors, at least last year when the 10 yrs came out people were posting the limited runs and hard to find color combos, now guys are posting basically stock discs up.

Why do people think that is, is it because of all the n00bs in the game who do not know what collectors are? Attention whores who feel the need to feel equal to those top dawgs on each collector page and make 5 postings per day of stock disc mail calls they got from disc golf center and dynamic discs? Discuss......

resized_grandma-finds-the-internet-meme-generator-i-just-can-t-believe-how-insanely-boring-this-thread-is-0e06b8.jpg

How about you add a 30000 dollar sound system to it and make it less boring?

^ehh . . . what? :confused:

anyway.

the buyers make the "collector market" what is is. as far as the sellers go, i've overheard people in the retail stores laughing about how they can go pick up those black preflight# orcs from GGGT and flip them for 25$ each because all the buyers are so hyped up right now. they know what they're doing, at least for the most part.

i know a guy around here who just NEVER stops talking about mundane **** he tries to collect and flip though: it's kinda funny and i have to keep myself from pointing out that nothing he talks about is special. at all. ever.

it's a bubble. people are scrambling to pick up whatever they deem as special to try and sit on it or flip it to the people who actually want to throw that "not yet old enough" plastic and are scrambling to get it before the hunters do. throw in all these new plastics, lavashift, transitional, jellybean, ****storm of new goodness and a lot of people who are simply addicted to buying plastic. that's mostly what i see. people who are just scrambling to buy stuff because they're addicted to it.

there are several kinds of people causing this, IMO. part of it is the noobs, but there's a lot more to it if you ask me.

It's the "internet guys" as I call them as well. The guys who watch every top pros in the bag and buy those discs even though most do not know how to work or cycle them properly. They have. 4 teebirds and destroyers that are basically the same and not beat different but they convince themselves they are because they have thrown the orange one 5 more times than the green one. Very few dgcr members are social and give me the time of day if i even initiate contact, have had times where I played with members and they said 5 words the entire round and then come online they type up a storm and say how much run they had lol.

Facebook morons is what I like to call them. They don't even know what they are buying, Seller hype random X disc "Specialness" and they are hooked. Catching fish on the Internet is easy.

Yawn. Another thread about Facebook disc auctions. :doh:

And then a mini-rant about DGCR members being antisocial.

What's your point?

Latest posts