• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf competition "TV show"?

gameboy9

OK, maybe I've really lost it, and I think I'm good at losing it at times. :)

I was watching a bunch of old and new Boston TV shows involving Candlepin Bowling... basically it was 1-on-1 bowling shows where the winner got money and the loser got less money, but both could win bonus money by doing good stuff.

So I got to thinking... maybe we can do something like that for disc golf. Well, we couldn't put it on a local station, but we surely can put it on YouTube. I don't know... find two good players, probably by a short 4-6 hole qualification process, then award... and I'm making up numbers here... $40 for the winner, $20 for the loser, then award $2 for a birdie and $10 for an eagle/ace. (my local courses are all par 3)

I've been thinking it could be good for the sport if it's done right... but would there be anybody that would be interested for something like this, assuming you all could be at a "taping", or have I really lost my mind? :)

I think this would be great entertainment if done right. Copying the annual ball golf competition "The Skins Game" would be the best idea IMO, but would require four players instead of two. Not only would I like to compete and/or watch something like that, I would donate to make it happen.

You can read about The Skins Game here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skins_Game#LG_Skins_Game

Hmmmm... that might work. Well, how could we do it under the $60 budget that I set up... well, using a little hocus pocus, I came up with this:

Holes 1-6: $2, Holes 7-12: $3, Holes 13-17: $4, Hole 18: $10

Although I'm thinking it might be best to do 18 skins straight... so $3 a skin. I'd also have to pay extra in the bonuses I was talking about because of the two extra players, so $54 for a prize pool instead of $60 would work.

Hmmmm... that might work. Well, how could we do it under the $60 budget that I set up...

Well you set it up like poker or the Billiard Skins game. You give them fake money amounts to play for and when it is all done they get the payout of the real cash for winning the fake cash.

For instance,
Every player starts out with $100,000 bankroll.
Holes 1 - 5 are worth 1000 (which they put in out of their stating cash)
Holes 6 - 10 are worth 2000
Holes 11 - 14 are worth 4000
Holes 15 - 16 are worth 8000
Holes 17 is worth 16000
Holes 18 is worth 32000

This equals 79000
The remaing 21000 is for Special Events like...
Longest drive on 14 is worth 2000
Closest to the pole on 17 for 3000
And use these to use up the reamining 21000

One-tie All-tie and that money is to be carried over to the next hole.
The Special Events can never tie, but if they do the split that money.

If the last hole has carry over money, it gets divided up evenly. You do that so it still looks like most people got lots of fake money.

At the end, give out the cash according to who has the most fake money. :)

It sounds really cool when you are like, "This hole is worth $68000 in skins!"

You can do this with any number of players you want.

Another really fun variation is doing this, is as an elimination match and the players are allowed to make proposition bets allong the way. Like, "I wager $2000, I can make this drive go between those 2 tress with hitting either of them." And then if there are any takers the bet is set and play continues as normal. You are playing to take everyones money for yourself....when you run out of cash, you are out. In this variation the holes increase value faster, because only those who have enough money to play can stay in it. If the guy with less money wins a whole he, can only win what he has availbel to wager and if he looses he is obvioulsy all-in and is out.

I don't know if I explained all this correctly, but you get the idea. :cool:

...I was watching a bunch of old and new Boston TV shows involving Candlepin Bowling... basically it was 1-on-1 bowling shows where the winner got money and the loser got less money, but both could win bonus money by doing good stuff...

There are no bad ideas here but this really sounds like league play but with skins instead of straight score. If you do live around Boston you'll see that nearly every NEFA course has a league. I just have trouble seeing anyone outside of disc golf being interested in watching disc golf. That said, just having someone stumble across it and discover what disc golf is, is a good thing as well. I think it's Comcast that has Disc Golf Monthly on on-demand under sports-->other sports or something like that and of course there's Disc Golf Live! which Joe Wander will send to anyone interested in getting it on public access.

I was also thinking of sending five players out there to play 18 holes in stroke play. Except that every four holes we eliminate the player with the worst score.

But...

There are no bad ideas here but this really sounds like league play but with skins instead of straight score.

Combine that with not a lot of interest in this thread, I'm thinking this isn't going to work right now.

But hey, never hurts to ask, does it?

Here is a trailer for a DG movie that is in the works:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/82TDQT4pdMc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/82TDQT4pdMc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Their MySpace is http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=138249654

hmmm...didn't imbed...go to their MySpace to link to the trailer....

Latest posts